|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Transit Police Have New Trick

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Graydon

Somewhere on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transit police that patrol Highway 2 near the Columbia crossing have a new trick. When they stop you and give you a big story about speeding etc and tell you in Spanish that you need to pay a big fine and when you say you don't understand, they use a cell phone to call someone who speaks English. This person identifies herself as someone from the police station and confirms the fine amount that the transit cop has told you.
They tried that with us and we just told them we'd follow them to the police station to pay. After talking it over among themselves, they settled for a few pasos to buy themselves some cokes.

Graydon

clarlk

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whats with needing to go to the transito station, here in Mazatlan a ticket is issued just like the states, and if its paid within 24 hours fine is reduced 50 %.. why even buy the a coke ??

Duke-44

Wyoming Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Graydon

Are talking about in Ecuador?

Graydon

Somewhere on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No.. Columbia crossing near Laredo, Texas

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best result we had was to take out our cell phone to call a friend. We were sent on our way immediately. Best news was the Municipal Secretary was a former university student of our friend who was going to lodge a complaint on our behalf. We had the unit number of the vehicle. Gotta love it when things work out!

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 02:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one and only time I tried the Columbia crossing we were stung by the police set up by a screwy 6 way intersection with a stop sign right in the middle of it. We sat and discussed the alleged offense for 45 minutes, the policeman was unshakable and relentless. It cost $20 ultimately to be allowed to continue.
Ever since then if the local police don't have a car or otherwise block the road I keep my eyes straight ahead and act as though I don't even see them...What are they going to do, run after me?

almalibre

Puerto Morelos, Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Ever since then if the local police don't have a car or otherwise block the road I keep my eyes straight ahead and act as though I don't even see them...What are they going to do, run after me?

I did this once near Tampico and the cops (3) all jumped in a taxi and pulled me over!

clarlk

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

almalibre wrote:

Quote:

I did this once near Tampico and the cops (3) all jumped in a taxi and pulled me over!

Radios and cell phones , its a modern world down here..

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wm.Elliot wrote:

I suppose it depends how hard they want to work for the morbida. All the ones I drove by never gave chase.
It wasn't that long ago when hardly any police had radar in Mexico. Those were the days....

mordida, not morbida

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose it depends how hard they want to work for the mordida. All the ones I drove by never gave chase.
It wasn't that long ago when hardly any police had radar in Mexico. Those were the days....
edit: spelling correction

* This post was edited 03/09/12 01:17am by Wm.Elliot *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Transit Police Have New Trick
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS