|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Park approved Generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Hi, if a Honda or Yamaha generator is too loud for you, people in the next spot shouldn't even talk either. Life makes noises. My air conditioner makes noise. My furnace makes noise. My water heater makes noise. I wouldn't want to hear a contractor's type generator in a camp ground, but it would be better than listening to my next door neighbor's big dogs barking all day. Complete silence while camping is just too much to ask for.

Yes, In Julian Price, we can hear a water heater click on across the CG road, Scared me the first time I heard it. Was the middle of the night, and sounded like it was right outside the pup. But it was across the road. However my Lantern makes only a small hiss, and the fire only crackles now, and then. Those are my water heaters, and lights.

But a generator constantly running nearby. Precluded normal conversation. Kind of hard to talk over, and still be courteous to the other campers.

Maybe most have never camped in a primitive CG like Julian Price. If they had. They might understand. Even the Primitive CG at Linville Falls has way different acoustics, and sounds are not amplified as much. But at JP. I can hear you snore in your camper, and generators really mess up the camping. There is no such thing as a quiet generator.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Hi, if a Honda or Yamaha generator is too loud for you, people in the next spot shouldn't even talk either. Life makes noises. My air conditioner makes noise. My furnace makes noise. My water heater makes noise. I wouldn't want to hear a contractor's type generator in a camp ground, but it would be better than listening to my next door neighbor's big dogs barking all day. Complete silence while camping is just too much to ask for.

There is no such thing as a quiet generator, in a CG like Julian Price, where I can hear you snore in your camper.

So defend your noise makes all you want. It's still an intrusive noise maker.

Robby9

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

christopherglenn wrote:

People complain about wind chimes, imagine how much louder a cheap generator is.

I'll take a generator over wind Chimes anytime; those things drive me nuts. Nonetheless, I won't desecrate your chimes or burn down your camper.

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time I wanted silence when camping, I took a tent 8 or 10 miles from the trailhead. If there is power for anything (this includes flashlights) there will be noise. When it is completely dark it tends to be completely quiet. Teenagers and a flashlight in a tent means talking.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

christopherglenn wrote:

Last time I wanted silence when camping, I took a tent 8 or 10 miles from the trailhead. If there is power for anything (this includes flashlights) there will be noise. When it is completely dark it tends to be completely quiet. Teenagers and a flashlight in a tent means talking.

Amen!

If you go to a cg and the "acoustics" of the cg keeps you awake, then I would find another cg. Where does it stop? We've camped at campgrounds on the lake many, man times and there are boats out on the water. They are loud, but when I go, I assume that boats are going to be there. I would also assume that there will be other campers there during the day and I might be able to hear them at some time.

It's amazing how people push such a name brand item to the point that if you buy anything else, you are a bad camper. I mean seriously, people will pay $1000-2000 for a generator (because they think they are being a good camper), but yet don't want to pay $25-30 a night to camp.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2014 Ford Focus(Toad)

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

christopherglenn wrote:

Amen!

If you go to a cg and the "acoustics" of the cg keeps you awake, then I would find another cg. Where does it stop? We've camped at campgrounds on the lake many, man times and there are boats out on the water. They are loud, but when I go, I assume that boats are going to be there. I would also assume that there will be other campers there during the day and I might be able to hear them at some time.

It's amazing how people push such a name brand item to the point that if you buy anything else, you are a bad camper. I mean seriously, people will pay $1000-2000 for a generator (because they think they are being a good camper), but yet don't want to pay $25-30 a night to camp.

But I really don't assume some inconsiderate camper wannabe is going to be in a primitive park. After all we camped for 25 years there, and never once heard a generator, Until a few years ago with the "new" breed of RVer. the ones that don't want to pay for full hookups, but want to have them in a non hookup CG. And that is the reason we don't go to the National Park truckstops any more. It's much quieter in a private CG where generators are not allowed.

BTW. I don't mind kids playing, people talking, or singing around the fire. I do mind a loud smelly generator drowning out all the natural sound in a CG.

ROBERTSUNRUS

Lakewood, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 11:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ng2951 wrote:

pi55ed wrote:

Gen sets are a thing of the past. Use solar to keep your battery's charged.
Only works where the Sun shines and the days and nights are cool. If you are camping in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity its gets old real fast.

Hi, when solar panels, that will fit on top of my trailer, have enough power to run my air conditioner and cost about the same as my Yamaha 2400, then I'll agree with you that "gen sets are a thing of the past." Until then.............

Bob
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pi55ed wrote:

Only works where the Sun shines and the days and nights are cool. If you are camping in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity its gets old real fast.

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 52 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

wbwood wrote:

christopherglenn wrote:

Amen!

But I really don't assume some inconsiderate camper wannabe is going to be in a primitive park. After all we camped for 25 years there, and never once heard a generator, Until a few years ago with the "new" breed of RVer. the ones that don't want to pay for full hookups, but want to have them in a non hookup CG. And that is the reason we don't go to the National Park truckstops any more. It's much quieter in a private CG where generators are not allowed.

BTW. I don't mind kids playing, people talking, or singing around the fire. I do mind a loud smelly generator drowning out all the natural sound in a CG.

Then a campground that does not allow generators would be the place to go.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Park approved Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS