RV.Net Open Roads Forum: whats the best Bang for the Buck RV gas mileage wise?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> whats the best Bang for the Buck RV gas mileage wise?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wills250psd wrote:

If you want fuel milage dont start rving.

That comment gets made a lot. I don't think it helps. RVing is not a one size fits all hobby.

I think the future of RVing is smaller RVs. Time will tell.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

jetenbu

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wills250psd wrote:

If you want fuel milage dont start rving.

How encouraging. Don't listen to this poster. Get your RV and enjoy it regardless of fuel prices. Happy RVing.....

Jim

RV: 2012 Montana 3625RE Quad Slide SKP#108921
TV: 2004.5 Dodge Dually 3500 HD
Favorite Quote: ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Warning: THIS RIG PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON!

U.S. Navy Vietnam Vet 1967-1968

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do very well pulling my OFF-ROAD POPUP Camper behind my 2010 F150 5.4 gas with 3:73 gears. The POPUP apparently doesnt push much air when being pulled. The other neat thing is we can still pull into a McDonalds and order a Big Mac from the drive thru window. We consistently get 20-21MPG using Shell gasoline products (for some reason) pulling the 4200lb loaded POPUP.

Plenty of room for the two of us and a pooch... The POPUP has all the toys the big guys have including an indoor potty and sit down shower. We watch HDTV every night and sleep on a comfortable bed... The OFF-ROAD model camper with the front deck I can carry along some serious camping supplies coupled with the bed of the truck.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

mavapa

Rome, Ga, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know it's a real pain to buy fuel at current prices, but think about how much of a premium you might have to pay in order to get better fuel mileage. If you found a really nice, fairly late model Class C that gets 8 to 10 mpg for a really good price, how much fuel could you buy with the money you might save over buying an RV that gets better mileage?

On the other hand, we recently traded a 10-mpg Ford-based C for a Sprinter-based C that gets 15 mpg. Are we better off overall? I'm not going to do that calculation because I'm not sure I really want to know.

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you truly want CHEAP, you can't beat a popup or A-frame with a fuel-efficient car as a tow vehicle.

after that, a diesel Class B would be the next but they aren't cheap.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

FaireCat

Pacific NorthWest

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mavapa has it right. We have an older Class B, purchased heavily used but with good engine and transmission; the main goal was a bit more comfort than a tent and a lot more sanitation than shared chemical toilets with 17000 others at Ren Fairs 20 miles from plumbing.

We looked at paying more for better mileage, but do the math. If it's a $6000 difference to go from 10mpg to 15mpg, and you're thinking six years out, you'd need to save $1000 in fuel per year... or need to drive 7500 miles per year just to break even. (That's all the way across the U.S. and back. We do about 1/3 that in a bunch of short trips.)

Of course newer better-mileage units have other advantages. Ours is functional but the toilet privacy is, well, so 20 years old - basically a curtain. Better than the chemical toilets. If we'd spent another $10K or so, we'd have better mileage and nicer features... but a lot less money in-pocket and probably lose the convenience of a gasoline generator.

So it's all a trade-off, but unless you drive a LOT, the mileage won't be your biggest economic hit.

stevekk

CA/ OR border

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks everyone for all the comments.
I will take some time to absorb all of them.
And you got me started in the right direction.

Sure glad I found this group !!

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mavapa wrote:

I know it's a real pain to buy fuel at current prices, but think about how much of a premium you might have to pay in order to get better fuel mileage. If you found a really nice, fairly late model Class C that gets 8 to 10 mpg for a really good price, how much fuel could you buy with the money you might save over buying an RV that gets better mileage?

On the other hand, we recently traded a 10-mpg Ford-based C for a Sprinter-based C that gets 15 mpg. Are we better off overall? I'm not going to do that calculation because I'm not sure I really want to know.

I'm the most logical guy in the world, but I can't get past the daily pain at the pump when on a long RV trip. And "wasting" anything has always bothered me. So I would pay more for higher MPG, even if it doesn't make sense logically. For me it would be treating myself to something that makes me happy, just like someone else buying an expensive car versus a Kia. It would make me feel good long after the purchase.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want fuel economy above all else, a Roadman Camper (motorcycle tent trailer) is $3500 base. The bed is 50" x 76", which is good enough if you need something to get you off the ground. Weighs 225 pounds dry, 500 max.

It is all about what you want. It might be that a hard sided folding trailer like an A-liner might be a good point. Or, perhaps a Hi-Lo once they get started again.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowman9000 wrote:

PS: 90% of RVers inadvertenly lie about their gas mileage, even here on the forum...

Have to agree, I see numbers posted here on occasion that are unbelievable. My signature shows the average MPG over thousands of miles. Have I gotten better? Sure! What good does it do anyone if I say I got 30 MPG if it was only one time coming down a mountain?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> whats the best Bang for the Buck RV gas mileage wise?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS