|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Help me shake this feeling of dread

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
HTT to be?

Southern Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good plan! Fort Wilderness should be a blast! Kids grow so very fast, and camping is a great place to get away and enjoy some real quality family time. Towing shouldn't stop you from enjoying time with your gang! Take your time, and before you know it, everything will become quite easy.

2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

Mainframe

Rochester, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 04:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OL Walker, your fear is not unfounded, towing is harder to do than just driving down the road, I spent the early years of my life racing motocross, and 25 years as an Auto Technician. I used to drive around Porches and Audis all day some costing well over 100 grand, I was never so nervous behind the wheel as when I went from a Pup to a hybrid.

That said, My wife must be your clone, LOL At first she was making me nervous. I quickly found out the Equalizer and anti sway equipment made for a comfortable tow. We are careful and take our time, being in a hurry while towing is a big No No, If you have to hurry back for any reason, leave your rig and come back in calmer seasons.

I still drive with 2 hands on the wheel at all times and pay close attention to what is going on around me, but I think the secret is go slower than you normally would and let people pass by, just like the tortoise in the race, you will get there and the more you tow, the more comfortable you will get.

Now my wife is planning our first trip already and hardly gives the towing a thought.

nole_trainer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OLWalker wrote:

Right now, our VERY tentative plan is to pick up the camper at RVDirect, then head to Fort Wilderness for a few days to use the camper and have some fun before we head home.

I've heard that going to Ft Wilderness for your first trip is a BIG mistake. Your kids will think that is what camping is all about and will never want to go to a state park

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No experience with Ft. Wilderness - waayyyy past that point in our lives. We are leaving soon for a trip to Tampa and baseball spring training and actually looked into LazyDays campground. It's apparently right off the hwy - should not have to deal with any narrow winding roads. IIRC, they have free breakfast and lunch. We decided on a FL state park, Hillsborough River SP. Looks very nice online and we liked that it was more "camping". It is on US 301 - Int 4 to State 54 to US 301. Ft. Wilderness might be a great family time, but will likely give you less time to really look over your purchase. If your plans change, suggest you investigate either of these other options. The training part at LazyDays certainly is a positive. Either way, have a great time!

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 1 year old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

OLWalker

Suburb of Atlanta

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nole_trainer wrote:

I've heard that going to Ft Wilderness for your first trip is a BIG mistake. Your kids will think that is what camping is all about and will never want to go to a state park

LOL! I'm sure that's a risk. But we do camp now in tents, and my husband's uncle and aunt also have a camper on a lot they own, and the kids absolutely LOVE to go hang out there, sit around the fire, and more non-Disney type camping. So I think we'll be pretty safe.

OLWalker

Suburb of Atlanta

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dadmomh wrote:

No experience with Ft. Wilderness - waayyyy past that point in our lives. We are leaving soon for a trip to Tampa and baseball spring training and actually looked into LazyDays campground. It's apparently right off the hwy - should not have to deal with any narrow winding roads. IIRC, they have free breakfast and lunch. We decided on a FL state park, Hillsborough River SP. Looks very nice online and we liked that it was more "camping". It is on US 301 - Int 4 to State 54 to US 301. Ft. Wilderness might be a great family time, but will likely give you less time to really look over your purchase. If your plans change, suggest you investigate either of these other options. The training part at LazyDays certainly is a positive. Either way, have a great time!

I checked into Lazy Days. It looks great- I just don't know if we're going to be able to do it since we might not know our PDI date far enough ahead of time to reserve a spot. We will see... In the meantime, I LOVE the idea of a towing class that we could take after we pick up our camper. Are there any recommendations that anyone has in the Orlando area? If we're going to take a class it makes the most sense to take it before our 8 hour drive home!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Help me shake this feeling of dread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS