RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Cooler or travel with fridge on?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cooler or travel with fridge on?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty new...we got a TT a little over a month ago and have made two trips so far. Both times I've just packed two coolers...one with stuff we ended up putting in the fridge and the other with beer and other drinks...and filled with ice. Do other people just go with coolers or do they travel with a fridge on?

I have an ice maker at home and kind of harvest the ice from time to time bagging it and putting it in our big freezer so when I go on trips I always have plenty of ice. I hardly ever buy ice.

Anyway I'm used to going on trips and taking a cooler all the time and never having a fridge so it's hard to break that habit. I've been lucky and have won a Yeti cooler at a Ducks Unlimited event and bought another one. I know a lot of hunters and fishermen that swear by those Yeti's and after using one for a year I can say they are build like tanks and really do hold ice better...the cons are they are heavy and expensive and you don't want anyone to walk off with it.

On the plus side even though Yeti's are expensive vs an Igloo or Coleman they might save you money in the long run because you won't have to keep replacing them and also you'll buy less ice. There are some other brands out there that are like Yeti..tough and really hold ice well...but I'm a bit partial to Yeti because they are a Texas company, Ducks Unlimited supporters, and I have a couple, lol!

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

dalmationlovers

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with the frige on propane all the time. Ours in the TT and our now MH had auto switch over to propane/electric. Some will say not to, but as long as you turn the propane off at a gas station you will be OK. I like my beer cold when I arrive at the campground and then put some in an ice chest so I don't have to go inside to get one.

Good Luck
Arnold

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

We usually have a couple of ice coolers (the Coleman Xtreme "6 days at 90 degrees" is not just a brag!) for beverage ice and also to cool down stuff before putting it into the RV fridge.

Yes, It's OK to travel with the refrigerator on, it's designed for it. The only warning is to shut off all propane appliances when refueling the truck.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Crazy Ray

Monroe,La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

We NEVER turn ours off. JMO

RET ARMY 1980,DW Donna,"Tiny" (furkid). Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4SAMS 6V, 525W Solar , TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW: Honda CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream". NASCAR #11,14,18,20 LOVE CO,NM,AZ

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with a large white boat style cooler that is jammed with ice and drinks. Makes it easy to grab something when we stop. And we can have lots of variety and quantity of drinks available.

And

We travel with the fridge running with every day stuff like milk, eggs, condiments and all the other kinds of food we have in there. We run the fridge on 12 volt when traveling. Truck keeps the house batteries charged.

This is with our 5th wheel. Did the same with our truck camper too.

rv2go

Fulltime 12 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have traveled with my fridge on gas in several different RV's since 1976. No problems yet.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalmationlovers wrote:

..... Some will say not to,

Others say not to, but, the manufacturers of the frig don't say not to!!!!

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel with the fridge on, thats what it's for.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with our fridge on 12v, and when we get to the CG switch over to propane or 120v if we have electric hookups. While traveling, I might switch from 12v to propane if we're going to be parked for a long time (several hours) in the hot sun so as not to run the battery down while parked. Driving with it on 12v, I don't have to worry when I fuel up at gas stations.

aeohio

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends, most times I fill up the fridge and travel with it off, it keeps most things cold enough for a 2-3 hours. However if its a long drive will travel with it on propane. I do shut if off at the gas station.

2010 Passport UL 290BH
2006 Ford Expedition Limited

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cooler or travel with fridge on?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: