RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Heavy duty RV radiator - 93 chevy 454 auto dually

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Heavy duty RV radiator - 93 chevy 454 auto dually

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Terrick down Under

Australia

Full Member

Joined: 09/16/2010

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/06/12 03:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone, where can you get a HEAVY duty radiator to suit my 93 Dually 7.4 auto. I do a lot of towing and carring the TC. Don't want the old girl to get overheated. Its had a 34x19 brass unit. Have tried a 34x17 but it won't keep her cool on the big climbs. Finding a business that will freight to australia is even harder. It has engine oil and transmission also.
Thanks in advance.

jimmyfred

Tx

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/06/12 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terrick down Under wrote:

Hey everyone, where can you get a HEAVY duty radiator to suit my 93 Dually 7.4 auto. I do a lot of towing and carring the TC. Don't want the old girl to get overheated. Its had a 34x19 brass unit. Have tried a 34x17 but it won't keep her cool on the big climbs. Finding a business that will freight to australia is even harder. It has engine oil and transmission also.
Thanks in advance.


.............Did GM sell any versions of the 8.1 down under? If yes , I'd see if an 8.1 replacement was available right there within your own borders . An 8.1 radiator maybe the same width as one for a 7.4 but have more cores for additional cooling ! , jf


2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

Senior Member

Joined: 08/13/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/06/12 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

summit racing

StevenH

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/06/12 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you still have the 34 x 19 end tanks from the brass unit see if a radiator shop can recore it.

If not a good radiator shop may be able to order the larger (19 verses 17) tanks and build you a replacement radiator.

Good luck

Steve


97 Beaver Patriot 40'
3126 CAT, Allison 3060
Aqua Hot


recycler

michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/06/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i knew a guy his older chevy truck had a HUGE radiator in it he said it was designed for military pick ups going to desert condtions could see if one is available for your model truck just an idea

goshe

Denver

New Member

Joined: 01/23/2012

View Profile



Posted: 03/06/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron Davis Racing Products. Can custom build any size and configuration 100% aluminum.Ron Davis Radiators


2007 Duramax, 2009 Hallmark Guanella, 2013 Cougar 28SGS


Trail-Mate

Frederick, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 01/22/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/06/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Order a replacement from Radiator Barn on the web. It will be an all aluminum one and will cool much better then the stock Brass Copper one. Also if you want it to run cooler. Install Headers with good flowing Cat and Cat back Single setup. and install a 190 degree Thermostat. I made all these changes on a 93 K2500 Suburban 7.4 (454 TBI ) that towed a 10,000 lb trailer. Make a huge difference. The radiator alone made some. The headers and new exhaust made the most difference.


1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS


Happy Camping !!


nm1oqrz

Trumbull CT

Full Member

Joined: 10/20/2010

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/06/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All. I have a 1989 GMC 1 ton 7.4L dually and I put a radiator made for the GMC diesels as they are bigger.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/06/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimmyfred wrote:

.Did GM sell any versions of the 8.1 down under? If yes , I'd see if an 8.1 replacement was available right there within your own borders . An 8.1 radiator maybe the same width as one for a 7.4 but have more cores for additional cooling ! , jf

No they did not sell versions of the 8.1. GM Holden has the US sourced 6.2 V8 in it's cars and utes. All other variants of GM V8's imported privately.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/06/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trail-Mate wrote:

Order a replacement from Radiator Barn on the web. It will be an all aluminum one and will cool much better then the stock Brass Copper one. Also if you want it to run cooler. Install Headers with good flowing Cat and Cat back Single setup. and install a 190 degree Thermostat. I made all these changes on a 93 K2500 Suburban 7.4 (454 TBI ) that towed a 10,000 lb trailer. Make a huge difference. The radiator alone made some. The headers and new exhaust made the most difference.


I've always wondered about that, given that copper has a higher heat dissipation rate than aluminum.....


My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Heavy duty RV radiator - 93 chevy 454 auto dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS