RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: home security?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> home security?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
paulm999

Pala, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wiscampsin wrote:

We always let our neighbors on each side and across the street know when we're gone. They keep watch on our place and we keep watch on their place when they're gone. Take in their papers, mail, water the flowers in the summer, etc. It's just the neighborly thing to do. One winter a neighbor was in the Bahamas and we had a snow storm. I used the snowblower on their drive after I was done with mine just to give their place the usual occupied look. Nobody in our cul-de-sac ever had a problem.

Do you REALLY know your neighbor?
12% of all home burglarys are committed by neighbors and freinds.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulm999 wrote:

Wiscampsin wrote:

We always let our neighbors on each side and across the street know when we're gone. They keep watch on our place and we keep watch on their place when they're gone. Take in their papers, mail, water the flowers in the summer, etc. It's just the neighborly thing to do. One winter a neighbor was in the Bahamas and we had a snow storm. I used the snowblower on their drive after I was done with mine just to give their place the usual occupied look. Nobody in our cul-de-sac ever had a problem.

please cite your source for that statistic.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son is 4 doors down and the neighbors are great. We also have the TT next to the house in town. I am putting wireless motion detectors, siren, and auto phone dialer so when the trailer is gone it will call my son, myself, and one of the neighbors. If someone is there the siren may scare them, probably not, the neighbors can look out and see and then they can call the police. Don't want son or neighbor to try to stop anyone. It is just stuff and the LEO are paid to do the stopping.

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a number of things:

1: A good security system.
2: All items are tethered via Kensington cables. This won't stop a serious thief, but it slows down the smash/grabbers.
3: Good neighbors.
4: Non bumpable door locks.
5: All computers encrypted with BitLocker or FileVault 2. This way, a theft of the machine doesn't mean a theft of data, and my backups of critical things are stored offsite. Backups are also encrypted.

And most importantly, insurance paid up.

Wiscampsin

Wisconsin USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulm999 wrote:

Wiscampsin wrote:

Yes, I've known 2 of them for 20 years the ones across the street for 18 years. Kids were all great friends when they lived at home. Their kids would sometimes join us on camping trips and DD was invited many times to their Bahama condo. Don't you trust your neighbors??

2013 Palomino Sabre 34 REQS-6
http://s1340.beta.photobucket.com/user/W........6?&_suid=1357224714962013706578115184365

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I simply don't worry about it.
If it doesn't happen, good enough.
If it does happen, such is life in the modern world.
I refuse to sit at home, with lights all around the house, and burglar alarms and motion detectors all over the place, waiting for the bad guys to break in.
In fact, I don't like "security lights". Why should I light up the area for the bad guys? Let them trip over the skillfully planted booby-traps I have scattered around the place (you know, all that STUFF that the neighbors call "JUNK" and I call "YARD ART").
Yes, I am well aware that it CAN happen to me. But, it never has in the 70 years I have been on this Earth.
Oh, wait, I did have a 40 channel AM/SSB CB radio stolen out of my car many years ago. The car was parked under a street light in town, with at least 4 big dogs in neighbor's yards. So much for the "lighting prevents theft" idea! Apparently, the "watch dogs" did their job, they watched.
So, I just don't worry about it.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have very good neighbors (who are storing hay and farm equipment on our property) and Sam the Maremma Sheepdog watching our place when we're gone.

Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Gyp (retired), Peg, Bette, BJ, Nell, Tally & Eve
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The camper missing, mail or papers piling up, indoor or outdoor lights on 24/7 and an empty driveway could all be clues no one was home to someone looking for those patterns. So I tried to address all those. My neighbor parked his extra car in my drive when it was convenient, I stopped the paper, and another neighbor picked up my mail. I put a timer on inside lights and a motion sensor on the outside one. Often the culprits are neighborhood kids so I was selective about which neighbors knew I was leaving. Later I put in a monitored alarm system, but the pattern with the neighbors remained. Of course we reciprocated when the neighbors left, too.

I was broken into twice, both times when I was at work and not on a trip. Once the neighbor saw one jump my fence and called the police and they were all over them. Another time I came home early and caught one guy cold at gunpoint in my bedroom.

I don’t think the camper missing by itself is a big enough red flag to warrant storing it elsewhere unless it’s common knowledge in the neighborhood that if it’s gone, you’re gone. Especially if there are no other indicators you’re not there.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wiscampsin wrote:

paulm999 wrote:

Wiscampsin wrote:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll that possibility does exist. He has a key to my house and I also have a key to his.

Yes, I've known 2 of them for 20 years the ones across the street for 18 years. Kids were all great friends when they lived at home. Their kids would sometimes join us on camping trips and DD was invited many times to their Bahama condo. Don't you trust your neighbors??

ctpres

SAN BERNARD RIVER VALLEY, Needville , TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few random thoughts on home security.
If you are handy put in one or two "vacation" lites that are tied to
A'cond/heat = random lights. Add a lite or two on timer.
Leave a small radio on.
Close interior doors, not so much to slow them down, just to let em think about what is on the other side - homeowner with gun, or is that door alarmed?
Ask neighbor to park in your driveway.
No security system - scrounge up some stickers - you will never know if they worked but will if they don't.
Many PDs will send a Crime Prevention officer out if you ask. Great source for lots of free advise.
Get really valuable stuff out of house. you can suffer loss just as much if not more to fire.
Above all, keep your ear to the ground and be aware of just how close crime is to your house. If getting closer do more.
As usual insurance, don't leave home without it.

A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Foreman Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA
with
Headhoncho Suzie
BAR-BOB Ranch, San Barnard River Valley, Texas
2010 Damon Daybreak Classic 32'
1990 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2012 Vilano Tuono road bike

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next