|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dinghy selection

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
2inAlabama

Lake Whitney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shopping for a toad here, too.

A lot of members here seem to like the Jeep vehicles for toads (Wrangler, Liberty, or Grand Cherokee 4X4). I have no experience with Jeep or Chrysler products, but from what I hear and read, their repair records and reliability sucks. Does the actual experience of you guys here bear this out? If so, isn't this a problem when you're traveling?

I want the most reliable vehicle that I can buy, especially when I am traveling.

I would like to hear about real-world experiences.

Just DH & DW
Shopping for a Foretravel U320 42 ft

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then why would you want to buy one if going in you think they suck? You would never be happy even though many will tell you they are great.

* This post was edited 03/06/12 07:40am by rr2254545 *

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
182 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't have any experience with a repair record. My 99 Wrangler Sahara had 86k on the clock and another 90-100k towed. Shocks, tires, oil changes, plugs....normal maint. Front wheel bearings (sealed) That was it...so reliable yes. Hope the H3 does as well, good so far.

Fun..cool little car.

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2inAlabama wrote:

Shopping for a toad here, too.

A lot of members here seem to like the Jeep vehicles for toads (Wrangler, Liberty, or Grand Cherokee 4X4). I have no experience with Jeep or Chrysler products, but from what I hear and read, their repair records and reliability sucks. Does the actual experience of you guys here bear this out? If so, isn't this a problem when you're traveling?

I want the most reliable vehicle that I can buy, especially when I am traveling.

I would like to hear about real-world experiences.

nope.

2003 jeep wrangler with 70K+ miles on the odometer and another 25+ towed on it. in that time, except for routine maintenance, i've had exactly two repairs. one was a stripped fan control knob ($2 or $3), the other was a bad shifter (handled under extended warranty).

2010 Jeep Liberty with 18K miles on the odometer and another 6K towed. no repairs whatsoever.

in life, and the auto mfgs are no different, you're gonna run into slugs now and then. but in most cases when an owner, at a minimum, follows the recommended service schedule a jeep will give you good service. jeeps are easy to hook up, easy to un-hook and can be towed without time, speed or distance restrictions.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had 5 various Jeeps and found them to be less prone to repair than other vehicles I've owned. Think about it, would someone who takes a vehicle into some very remote areas want to take a vehicle prone to break down? I don't think so.
My Jeep Wrangler has 50k miles on it and a lot of that was off road. I've had it over 10 years and can't remember the last time I had anything repaired.
If you still are afraid of Jeep you may want to look at the Ford Edge, which is my current toad. A very comfortable vehicle and easy to tow.

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned 12 Chrysler made vehicles over a 40 year period and only ever had an issue with one; a broken head bolt on a Dodge pick-up that was repaired under warranty.

I have never had any other engine, transmission or reliability issues. Maybe I just been lucky, I don't know.

I would not hesitate to buy another Jeep, the two that I've had so far have been good and problem free.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On this forum you're only going to get single responses from single owners. Probably not exactly the type of overview you're really looking for. Check Consumer Report's frequency-of-repair records for various models. I think you're more likely to find what you want there. Just a note: pay especially close attention to Saturn repair records - they may surprise you! And, I think you will find pretty much what you suspect on the Jeep products, especially the Liberty.

Best of luck in your search.

DaDubs

Regina, Sk, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would venture to guess that a Jeep might have instances of breakdowns/repairs than other vehicles, simply because of how they are used. You aren't going to go off-road up a mountain with a Ford Focus. People typically buy Jeeps to do what other vehicles can't do and that would cause extra stress on all it's parts.

My In-Laws have been pulling Jeeps for the last 10 years. The only issues that had were self inflicted from off-roading.

2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2012 Keystone Passport 2910BH
Chris, Kyla, Brooke(daughter, 20), Griffin(son, 7), Maddie (daughter, 5),Boozer(14 yr old Shih-Tzu)

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PackerBacker wrote:

I've owned 12 Chrysler made vehicles over a 40 year period and only ever had an issue with one; a broken head bolt on a Dodge pick-up that was repaired under warranty.

I have never had any other engine, transmission or reliability issues. Maybe I just been lucky, I don't know.

I would not hesitate to buy another Jeep, the two that I've had so far have been good and problem free.

well, if you want to consider other chrysler products we've owned

- 1990 Plymouth Voyager 175,000K miles on the odometer. as i recall we had some minor issues but nothing whatsoever that was major. we kept that vehicle for 13-years trading it for our '03 Wrangler.

- 1995 Dodge Caravan. 150K+ miles and no major issues or repairs. we kept that vehicle for 15-years and traded it for the '10 Liberty.

in fact, the only slug we've ever owned was a 1978 Olds Cutlass. blew the engine at less than 30K miles.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited has been very trouble free.
So has my '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I have never encountered the problems some have reported with Jeep vehicles, and I have owned several of them, from Jeepster Commandos to Jeep CJs to Wranglers to Cherokees to Grand Cherokees to a Wagoneer. The ones I have owned were made by Willys, Kaiser, AMC, and Chrysler. However, I DID have problems with the Buick engine in my old Jeepster Commando!
I have owned a number of Dodge cars and trucks over the years, mostly with over 100K on the odometer. Other than timing chains, they have been quite trouble free.
I would not hesitate for a minute to get any Jeep 2006 or earlier. I don't like the looks of the 2007 and later models.
The same goes for Dodge trucks.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dinghy selection
Search:   Advanced Search