|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dinghy selection

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

well, if you want to consider other chrysler products we've owned

- 1990 Plymouth Voyager 175,000K miles on the odometer. as i recall we had some minor issues but nothing whatsoever that was major. we kept that vehicle for 13-years trading it for our '03 Wrangler.

- 1995 Dodge Caravan. 150K+ miles and no major issues or repairs. we kept that vehicle for 15-years and traded it for the '10 Liberty ...........

I had a '94 Grand Caravan and a '98 Caravan. Both were used as our tent camping vehicles when the kids were still around at home; fun times and great memories.

... Eric

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most owners of just about any make/mode of car will typically provide positive feedback of their respective vehicle. You've just received several very promising views on Jeeps.

However, you mentioned you wanted the most reliable vehicle you can buy. Getting a dozen or so recommendations here on rv.net probably isn't the way to find "the most reliable vehicle". I only know of one really non-bias group that rates their findings for the most reliable and that would be of course, Consumer Reports.

I would research their findings and then check with "Motorhome Magazine" to see which of the highest rated are 4-down towable. There are many, many to choose from in all makes and models. Even if the one you prefer is NOT 4-down towable, Remco Towing will probably make either a lube pump or a driveshaft disconnect that will enable it to do so. Most (but not all) manual transmission vehicles can be towed and there are many vehicles with automatic transmissions that can be towed 4-down.

Most models of Jeeps are popular among the dinghy crowd as is the Honda CRV, Chevy HHR and Equinox. Chrysler PT Cruiser and Ford Edge are also very common being towed behind a motor home.

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

s79vette

Twin Lake.Mi.USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I traded in a '98 STS in 04 for a new Liberty. Talk about downsizing!! The only thing we are sorry about is we didn't get the fancy model with leather and heated seats. Have towed it all over Michigan and to Arizona twice and Mass. once. It has been one of the best vehicles we have owned. Not a great ride compared to Cadillac but fun to drive. Absolutely no repairs except ball joint recall and we always get 29 mpg. there is not much town driving.

2003 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme Ford V10 2004 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
Online with Inspiron
A member of http://www.gsowners.com

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have nearly 250,000 miles of towing a Jeep.. In our case our Jeeps are Grand Cherokee limiteds.. The first one is a 1996 model which we still use and the current one is a 2000 model... When I get nervous about the 2000 model I will buy another.. . Our Jeeps have made excellent dingys and have given us the off roading capability that is an essential part of our recreational needs and wants.

We are going to purchase and f150 ford crewcab 4x4 that will allow us to carry a golf cart as well as doing some off roading.... But The Jeeps will remain our dinghy of choice.

JohnnyT

2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lanerd wrote:

However, you mentioned you wanted the most reliable vehicle you can buy. Getting a dozen or so recommendations here on rv.net probably isn't the way to find "the most reliable vehicle". I only know of one really non-bias group that rates their findings for the most reliable and that would be of course, Consumer Reports.

Boy, I wish I'd have said that!!!.........

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A previous Jeep Cherokee that I owned with 245,000 miles, only needed batteries, tires, brakes, oil, etc all its life. No major repairs! I presently have a Wrangler YJ toad.

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaDubs wrote:

.......People typically buy Jeeps to do what other vehicles can't do and that would cause extra stress on all it's parts.

My In-Laws have been pulling Jeeps for the last 10 years.
The only issues that had were self inflicted from off-roading.

ditto X10!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RicJones wrote:

You need to buy a toad that works for YOU. Not everyone wants to drive a SUV, maybe a smaller car would work better for you, we don't know. Unless this vehicle is dedicated to being just a toad you need to decide what makes a good daily driver AND a toad for you.
Wranglers make great toads but IMO not very good daily drivers, too uncomfortable.

When I bought my toad I went for the smallest and lightest one I could find. Figured that would be the best for the 'MH'.
Two things about that strategy:

In storm or windy days the light toad moved around affecting my MH handling. Yes I know everyone said that can't happen but now that I am staying in one place for a few months and driving the toad daily I KNOW it to be true. With just a little bit of wind my toad is pushed around while driving it so I can now see why it was pushed around when towing it.

And lastly I hate driving it any length of time/daily, it is very uncomfortable. The short trip from the CG to a grocery store was just fine while traveling but if I had do-overs I would buy a more substantial toad, for ME and for the handling of the MH.

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to buy a toad that works for YOU. Not everyone wants to drive a SUV, maybe a smaller car would work better for you, we don't know. Unless this vehicle is dedicated to being just a toad you need to decide what makes a good daily driver AND a toad for you.
Wranglers make great toads but IMO not very good daily drivers, too uncomfortable.

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2inAlabama wrote:

Shopping for a toad here, too.

A lot of members here seem to like the Jeep vehicles for toads (Wrangler, Liberty, or Grand Cherokee 4X4). I have no experience with Jeep or Chrysler products, but from what I hear and read, their repair records and reliability sucks. Does the actual experience of you guys here bear this out? If so, isn't this a problem when you're traveling?

I want the most reliable vehicle that I can buy, especially when I am traveling.

I would like to hear about real-world experiences.

I suggest you qualify your request with what you intend to use your toad for. Examples:
- are you going to go 4-wheeling off-road with it?
- do you need a 4-seater (kids/grand kids, etc), or a 2-seater
- is it primarily a run-about for groceries/errands and the like?
- when you tow it, do you intend to load it with supplies (as in extra weight)?
- do you want a toad that weighs very little - so as not to pull down your MH's fuel economy?

I got rid of my pickup and traded it in for a smart car that has a curb weight of 1806 lbs. For me - I wanted something light weight and easy to tow. I don't have kids, so I didn't need a rear seat. I use it for groceries, errands, doctor visits, and the ocassional tourist-y sightseeing thing - and I answer a lot of questions about the car. I drove it on some 25-mile logging road loop in Randle, WA off of Rt 131. That was an unwise idea. Awesome vistas though.

When you tell us what you would like to be able to do WITH the toad, we can better give you recommendations to match your needs.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dinghy selection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS