RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Where Do You Put Your Honda Generator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Where Do You Put Your Honda Generator?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
nkrantz

Farmington Hills Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bubtoofat wrote:

My Honda is bolted and cable locked to a front rack that is locked to the front receiver. The rack also holds an extended run tank. I ran a cord along the frame of the truck from the gennie to the camper plug. The generator never leaves the rack and will easily run the AC over night.

This is how mine is also stored

AF 1140 2 optima yellow tops Honda eu3000 honda eu 2000 companion

2012 Ram 3500 DRW Roadmaster Sway Bar, Airbags, stableloads, superhitch, Buckstop bumper, carli lift, Alcoa's with 3970lb toyo AT's

bobndot

NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Where do you put your portable generator"

Not trying to beat this to death but, one other point . We all need to be concious of other people that park near us.

I don't mean us, i mean others that place their generators near us .
FYI : i parked at a Walmart lot and went to sleep. Someone pulled in after i did and backed his rig butt to butt behind mine . He placed and chained up his honda outside on the pavement 25-30 ft. away from his rig aiming it at my rig, which was 10ft away from my door, i know , nice guy. If the wind was different, the situation might have been different . When i left early, i shut it off and hid it under his rig . He was probably too stupid to get the message. For those wondering, No, i didnt put anything in his gas tank . I felt like it, but didn't.

Wayne , regarding outdoor use , be careful of the wind , the wind can blow the C02 back at you . Check the info. in this link. You can't smell C02 , no fumes to smell . It can be a Silent killer, no warnings. I know you have detectors and its elementary but, please check your detectors to make sure you are protected .
Im just rrying to keep you as moderator for years 8, 9 , 10 etc . you know me buddy, i've bagged too many adults and children than i care to remember into body bags from C02 poisoning.
http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/eh/air/fs/generators.htm

Briand

South of Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another that cable locked to jack.

Never had a problem with exhaust, but not really all that concerned since I have CO alarm.

Would like to see close up of jack mounted genny rack.

'97 F-350, CC, PSD
'02 NL, Ten2000 RD

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Wayne , regarding outdoor use , be careful of the wind , the wind can blow the C02 back at you . Check the info. in this link. You can't smell C02 , no fumes to smell . It can be a Silent killer, no warnings. I know you have detectors and its elementary but, please check your detectors to make sure you are protected ...
I did not see anything in my post that did not address your concern about the CO2. The closest opening to my Honda is 5-feet away. If the door was open, it is four feet away. How far is the exhaust from a built in generator?

Your post suggest that a generator will give out CO2, without an odor. I have worked with internal combustion engines for over 55 years. I have never heard of an internal combustion gas engine whose exhaust you could not smell. I find it hard to believe the smell of the exhaust would be separated from CO2. Maybe possible, but I guess I will have to experience it to believe it. I will repeat the question; How far is the exhaust from a built in generator?

I am not trying to be augmentative, but simple realistic.

Wayne

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eugarps wrote:

Thanks Wayne,

That's the answer I've been waiting for. I think I could make that setup work on about any camper with a ladder and sufficient distance to window and door openings

Have you ever run your Honda to power the AC?

Thanks,

Bill
I have ran my Honda 2000 to power my Polar Cub 9000 btu A/C. I have ran the Honda and A/C while on the road, so the TC would be cool when I stopped.

I preferred not to have the ladder support the weight of the Honda. I really think it would, but did not see the need. My Honda mount uses the TC jack mounts to support the weight. The ladder only serves to keep the Honda from swing to and fro. Look closely at the photo.

This subject comes up from time to time. For those that are of the belief my Honda exhaust is too close to the TC openings, you may want to take a closer look at your generator exhaust. How close is it to openings in your TC? Also consider, does the exhaust gases go up, down, or stay level? I would also suggest you smell the exhaust pipe of your truck with the engine running. Then ask your self if you could or could not smell the exhaust of a generator.

I have stated my personal experience for at least for the past seven years. I have not stated what I have read, belief, or theory. I have stated my experience. You must decide on what is your truth, theory or experience.

Wayne

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Wayne,

That's the answer I've been waiting for. I think I could make that setup work on about any camper with a ladder and sufficient distance to window and door openings

Have you ever run your Honda to power the AC?

Thanks,

Bill

77charger

fullerton ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

front hitch mount and carry the 3000 honda.Just a cable lock but plan on a better non cut chain and lock type soon.

As far as running it and roadside when i go to lake powell and sleep over past vegas i want to run my a/c and sleep good so i run the gen at night.Not to easy to sleep in camper when its still 105 degrees at nightime.Normally i pull into a truck stop type place where they too are running their engines.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not to be too picky guys but as a Fire Fighter lets get the terminology straight. CO2 Carbon Dioxide is fairly harmless. CO Carbon Monoxide is ordorless, tastless and can kill you and it a component of incomplete combustion of hydrocarbon fuels Keep the gennys a good distance away from the TC and down wind if possible. The only thing between you and carbon monoxide poisioning is common sense and a fairly new CO detector in the TC.

03 F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab long bed, 08 Lance 1055, Rancho XL9000, Air Lift air Bags, Torqlift tiedowns,stable loads, super hitch, 48" super truss, Toyo M143 245/70R19.5 tires, Vision 19.5 wheels, front and rear Roadmaster Anti Sway Bars

Joners

Idaho Falls, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having never spent the night in a commercial parking lot, but not saying I never will, I offer the following...the Honda portable, and I must include the equivalent Yamaha models, are very quiet inverter/generators. However, I always try to place mine in a spot that is less likely to annoy others, like on the opposite side of the TC from others and always chain it up. I seem to always get by with a 25 foot, 3-wire, #12 AWG power cord between the generator and TC. If ambient noise, or a snooring partner is a problem, I always have ear plugs available onboard.
Cap'n Bob

1996 Chevy K1500 4X4 Short Box, 5.7L Vortec, E rated tires, Lance Model 820 with Cabover Struts, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, KYB MonoMax Shocks, Torklift Stable Loads, Happijac Truck Camper Tiedowns and Turnbuckles, Honda Eu2000i Inverter/Generator.

JimK-NY

fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Northstar Igloo truck camper. It has a compartment for a generator. To use the generator, I have to open two doors. On the side is a smaller door with a latch to hold it open. The generator is too large to be removed through that door. The door on the back of the camper includes a ventillator grate and is designed to be locked when the generator is in operation. I also attached the generator to the camper with a chain. If someone breaks the back door they also need to cut the chain. When the back door is shut, the generator noise is also greatly reduced.

Finally, my Honda is a backup generator which is rarely needed. I have lots of electric consumption with a compressor fridge, my wife's CPAP and finally lots of charging for laptops and camera batteries. Two solar panels (total 270 watts) and two x 150 AH AGM batteries really help. Even with lots of consumption I can go a couple of days without recharging. When I do get some sun, solar charging is rapid. Currently I put on about 12 amps around noon. As we move toward summer that will double.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Where Do You Put Your Honda Generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS