|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Pics or vids of your smart dog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does you dog do smart things? Post a video or pic of your dog doing something smart. What have you tought your dog to do? We have a Shiba Inu that likes to be challenged and looking for Ideas.

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Mika, Keiko and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My border collie is the ranch supervisor. He guides customers to the hay stacks, and guards the bed of our truck when in town. Does that count?

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a smart, active dog who needs some stimulation and exercise, I would suggest agility or rally classes. If you have a smart dog that is mellow, but bored, perhaps pet therapy would be up their alley.

Badger Kennel club has some classes, there are others around Madison.

I have two dogs, one of which is very active (well, hyper really is the word, and she is 5 years old). She loves to chase the ball, she could run for hours on end without wearing herself out, and swim endless laps. But she is not very bright, so tricks and agility courses are out for her, as well as therapy because she is just too hyper. She will, however, HURL herself off of any pier or dock to retrieve a ball thrown into the water, regardless of temperature. It is too bad that we didn't get her until she was almost 3, as she would have made an excellent duck or dock dog.

The other dog is a mellow lab, who is quite smart. He is content to chase her while she is chasing the ball, as she is much faster than he is. His only hope is that she over runs the ball, leaving it for him.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bucky Badger wrote:

Does you dog do smart things?
Too many to list and difficult to convey with photos or videos. Things like helping me move a ewe and her newborn lambs from the field to the barn (picture lambs barely able to walk and very protective new mother towards dogs). Helping me separate and catch a ewe that needs treatment from the rest of the flock. Going into the pond to bring the ducks out of the pond and moving them into their pen (picture dog swimming behind ducks and not allowing the ducks to swim past the dog). Helping me return an escaped ram to the proper field (picture nervous large aggressive sheep because he is not with the other sheep).

Mark

* This post was edited 03/06/12 11:10am by BCSnob *

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Gyp (retired), Peg, Bette, BJ, Nell, Tally, Eve, Grant, & Lee
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No video. Like Mark - I have herding dogs, only don't own sheep. So my Aussie Ike has had various (strange) jobs:
carrying junk mail back to the house from the mailbox
picking up empty soda cans
picking up kids' toys
retrieving stuff dropped in the lake
fetching laundry "dropped accidentally"
chasing geese out of the yard
bringing slippers/taking off shoes
entertaining babies whose diapers are being changed

His vocabulary is profound - we were arriving at work, and I saw a ground squirrel dart INTO the building under a raised garage door. I got the dogs out - then pointed inside the building and told Ike to "seek the squirrel". First he looked at me like I was deranged (that's a command he had never heard before - let alone INDOORS) - but he dutifully went in and started sniffing around. Sure enough - he picked up the scent - flushed the critter out from under a car - unfortunately, it ran straight at Jack the Cattle Dog (the Enforcement Division) and was dispatched with one bite. Jack understands NONE of these commands - just innately knows that squirrels don't belong in HIS building.

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine's to smart to get in front of the video camera.
But, pull out the camera and tell her to smile and she will pose for the camera. She can sit, shake, high-five, speak, etc. She also knows several words bath, walk,out, cheese and she has learned the spelling of a few of the words.

corgi-traveler

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Going into the pond to bring the ducks out of the pond and moving them into their pen (picture dog swimming behind ducks and not allowing the ducks to swim past the dog).
Mark

Water Polo for dogs!
Could be a new course... water instead of a field.

I have a few videos of the corgis being smart. This one is Pippin competing in the Utility class in AKC obedience. That's considered to be the PhD of the dog world.
Pippin in Palm Springs

This video is of Buddy in a herding trial this past weekend. It was not a good run. We did pass with a 75.5 out of 100, but there were a lot of mistakes--mostly mine, but Buddy was also being a little naughty. When Buddy disappears from the camera, it was first to chase a couple of Ravens out of the arena, and then to mark the bush where he found them. That cost us 7 points.... 4 for being "off contact" and three for the marking. (yes, Mark, I know I gave two consecutive incorrect flank commands!)

Buddy Herding

Samantha (the poster)
Tim, spouse and driver of the Corgi-Bus
Buddy, Diva, and Pippin - Pembroke Welsh Corgis

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corgi-traveler wrote:

That cost us 7 points.... 4 for being "off contact" and three for the marking. (yes, Mark, I know I gave two consecutive incorrect flank commands!)
In our venue the judge has the option 5 points to DQ for dog walking off course (going to flush the birds) and 3-6 points for marking.

In our venue you don't get pointed for giving the wrong commands (or your dog not taking commands); but if your dog does what you ask things usually go badly (and you loose points). Our dogs have shown how smart they are by not taking bad commands (sheep right in front of turn location but not through and dog doesn't take the turn command until the sheep are through).

Have I told you about the trial weekend where I had 6 runs and 5 of those I turned the post the wrong way realizing it right after the turn and then had to fix it?

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dog is very talented at barking ... but since most campers are annoyed at barking dogs, I'll not post a video of that.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue Bee wrote:

If you have a smart, active dog who needs some stimulation and exercise, I would suggest agility or rally classes. If you have a smart dog that is mellow, but bored, perhaps pet therapy would be up their alley.

Badger Kennel club has some classes, there are others around Madison.

I have two dogs, one of which is very active (well, hyper really is the word, and she is 5 years old). She loves to chase the ball, she could run for hours on end without wearing herself out, and swim endless laps. But she is not very bright, so tricks and agility courses are out for her, as well as therapy because she is just too hyper. She will, however, HURL herself off of any pier or dock to retrieve a ball thrown into the water, regardless of temperature. It is too bad that we didn't get her until she was almost 3, as she would have made an excellent duck or dock dog.

The other dog is a mellow lab, who is quite smart. He is content to chase her while she is chasing the ball, as she is much faster than he is. His only hope is that she over runs the ball, leaving it for him.

Actually, we have had her in 2 puppy classes and have her scheduled for agility 1 starting mar 13. we have been using "Dogs best Friend for the classes"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Pics or vids of your smart dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS