|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> U- shape dinnette pro-cons

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Deby, Jim , Patches

New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We upgraded from a class C (had for 15 years) to a class A. The only thing I don't like is the table does not make a bed. Thinking of putting in the U-shape but not sure? Any pros-cons to them?

Kanyonkitty

Gerrardstown, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on how often you need the extra sleeping space and who would be sleeping on it, it would be a lot easier & cheaper to get a good air mattress. Then you could deflate it to store it.

Dinettes are usually attached/installed to the walls from the outside of the rig before the siding goes on, so if you decide to go the dinette route you might want to check to see how you would attach it, and watch out for what "pipes" of any kind that might be under the floor.

Kitty

Deep wedgewood blue '99 7.3L PSD F-350 Super Duty crew cab long bed dually or wedgewood blue '97 F-350 7.3L PSD crew cab longbed SRW, Member: Sunlineclub.com Rescue a retired Greyhound, greyt calm low maintenance traveling companions

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure about that, Kanyonkitty. My Bounder has the dinnette that I removed to make a computer shop area and it wasn't attached to the walls in any substantial way. Just a couple metal brackets screwed to the wall. It is held in place with floor attachments.

If the OP wants to install a dinette, they can be found at numerous RV surplus stores. Might be hard to match up the fabric but it could be recovered too.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

Deby, Jim , Patches

New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Kitty, I to thought of that and we sort of checked. It did not "Look" like it was but would check closer before doing any thing. Thanks Jim, for letting me know some places have one. We only need plain gray leather and it really would not matter if it was dark or light.
We have my parents going with us most of the time but 3 grandchildren want to start this year, getting away from mom & dad
My parents use the couch but my mom always like the table bed in the class c and she is the one that misses it the most. She would be on the table and my dad on the couch.
I thought the u shape would let me fit more around the table and we have the space for one long ways. Wide ways I have to be careful of the slide out.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

It is held in place with floor attachments.

I should explain this I suppose...In my rig, these 'attachments' are only wood screws that screw through the wood frame of the dinette into the floor underlayment. The side that butts up to the couch has a wood panel for a finished look, and only has a small 'L' bracket that screws to the outside wall. The other bench seat of the dinette uses wood screws in the floor and 4 wood screws to attach it to the pantry wall.

Jumbo One

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 12:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had a couple of RVs with u-shaped dinettes, and we're glad they are in our past. We found that, because of their small legwell area, they create a jam under the table at the corners. With small children it's not too bad, but as they grow it becomes a problem finding space for all those legs and feet. We also grew tired of knocking our knees on the support post. The last issue is having everyone stand up to let one person in/out. With my crew, as soon as everyone got seated and comfy, sure enough the one seated furthest from the aisle had to get back out.

I would recommend a table and separate chairs...or distributed seating with TV trays.

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jumbo One wrote:

I would recommend a table and separate chairs...or distributed seating with TV trays.

I agree. We had table and chairs installed in our MH. If you can get the fold away kind, use the floor space for a cot or inflatable mattress.

2007 Damon Challenger
2005 Saturn Ion

Moli, our sweet Lab Mix
Gus, our insane, sweet Cat

chrisnjackie

Land O Lakes, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like the u-shape dinette in my MH. There is plenty of room for 5 adult to eat comfortably when using a folding chair at the top of the U and, if need be, an extra chair would be ok to seat 6 in a pinch. I think the fit, elbow room and leg room is much better in the U shaped option. If you regularly travel with more than 2 people, I think you'll be happy you replaced the bench configuration. With respect to sleeping attributes, I would agree with those who recommend an air mattress versus dropping the table and converting to a bed. I've never found drop downs or jack knives for that matter to be at all comfortable for a full sized person. Either the length is too short, the cushions move too freely, or your back lays directly on an annoying seam.

W4MBG

Williamsburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have two rather large kids: 6'2" and 6'5". we have a standard dinette across from the jacknife couch. we set both up as beds and they almost meet in the middle of the rv. the two kids sleep cross-ways, so they have an 8' long bed with the gap (about 4") under their legs. they say its very comfy.

1999 Winnebago Minnie, 29', Triton V10, mostly stock. So far...

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

We agree with you. If we had a choice we would lose our Dinning Table and Two Chairs.

We have always liked any type of a Dinette Seating. You can sit more people in one, and also have extra storgae too.

In our Motorhome, when we did our "Inside-Make Over, we would not have had enought room to add a Dinette Seating in the first place.

Our Motorhome is a "Wide Body", with no Slides. Our choice, we didn't want any slides. As it is more than big enough and roomy enought for just the two of us and one very Small Yorkie.

We have a Dinning Table, that is bolted through the floor, but the Dinning Table, does have a Fold Down Leaf Section on each side of the Table. But the way it is positioned, the length side, is facing the wall. So we can't use the table extensions at all. There is also only two chairs with our table.

If we would have put in a Dinnette Seating like we wanted to, it would have stuck out so far, there wouldn't be enough room to pass by the Dinette Seating, wiht out hitting the Swivel Backed Rockig Chairs, ( Very Big )

This is our very first RV, in 45 years as RV'ers that we have had a Dinning Table and two Chairs.

I guess if that is the only complaint about our Motorhome, I guess all is good then. As we never have any problems at all with our Motorhome.

I could have built a smaller Dinette Seating, but it wouldn't have been the same, and as useful as a full size one.

Before our "Inside Make-Over, there use to be a pair of Love Seats, across from the Dinning Table. It was God Awful to sit on, let alone make up into a small bed. So we dumped the Love Seats, and opted for the Over-Size, Over-Stuffed, Swivel Back Rocking Chairs instead.

Other than that, our Motorhome is just perfect. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> U- shape dinnette pro-cons
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS