|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2012 Ford Escape

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All, I have purchased a new 2012 Ford Escape (V6/Auto 4WD) to replace my aging Jeep Liberty toad. For those that own and tow the 2012 only please, has anyone had any issues 4 down towing this car, while of course following the exact towing recommendations in the owners manual and having the tranny fluid lowered as specified. Thanks, JeffA

Jeff and Kim
2009 Bounder 35H (Gas Workhorse chassis)
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

philand

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was getting the fluid checked on my 11, Escape, the mechanic said that they have had trans. failures when towed. They blamed it on overheating (intimating it was due to out of tolerance operation). Ford stood behind the repair.

CoachmenKen

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an '09 Escape. Had the fluid set to the recommended level since new, and no issues. I also stop every 2020 miles, start the engine and shift through the gears. I did re-check the levels AFTER Ford techs said it was OK. Had to go back 3 times for them to get it right BUT I wanted it documented that they did it in the event of a failure.

Ken, Dawn, & Rebecca
Our DVGRR Golden rescues, Augie and Daisy
Our Goldens, Penny & Tucker, awaiting us at Rainbow Bridge

2001 Coachmen Santara, 3602 KS, F53
2009 Ford Escape XLT

--Camping since 2004--

Viewfinder

Western, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff, many have had problems and many have had none. (2011 4wd v6, same as 2012) I have not had any yet and do not expect any. I believe, as do many others, that the failures are due to the fluid level not being set right both by the Ford techs and the owners. I do not believe that the fluid is hot enough when checked in a lot of cases. Ford says the level should be set at 185 degree temp. This fluid seems to have a high expansion rate and is the color of grape juice when new....

I run a scangageII to read fluid temps when I stop and run engine. Highest temp I have seen was 193.
jim

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll chime in here since we do have and tow a 2012 4wd drive Escape. Ours is a hybrid so it will not pertain here BUT when we picked this vehicle up from the dealer, we were told by the service department that we would have to install the Remco pump. I questioned this because it was a hybrid w/ the cvt transmission. After the service department contacted Ford Customer Care, we were informed that the Remco pump was only required for the non-hybrid automatics. Note they said "required". There is another thread on this subject and Remco has worked with Ford on developing a new pump for the Escape which according to the other thread should be available shortly. I would highly recommend that you have your dealer contact Ford Customer Care and discuss the Remco pump issue and that you specifically purchased this vehicle for RV towing and the owner's manual is incorrect/incomplete.

On another note, we test drove as well as rented numerous vehicles when deciding on a toad. Our 2012 Escape is one of our daily drivers and we would not trade it for any other toad out there. Excellent ride, headroom/legroom, visibility and quality.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2012 Ford Escape
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS