|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Just goes to show you, age is just a number

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This gentleman will be the oldest competitor at the London olympics this year. He is 70 and will be competing as an equestrian in Dressage for Japan. The oldest ever olympian was 72 and competed in a shooting event.

Here is the article

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite remarkable but he has a bit to go for an age related sporting event. I also believe a marathon to be a bit more physical.

Wonder how many on this forum could challenge Mr. Singh.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 03:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about 74 year old Dan Seavey who is currently competing in the 2012 running of the Iditarod along with his son and grandson?

Mark

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope when *I* am 70, I'm still limber enough to climb atop a tall dressage horse!!!! That is a respectable feat in itself - then you figure he has to tack up the horse and feed it and clean after it.... haul it to shows - and at that level, ride EVERY SINGLE DAY......

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I used to ride more, I was sometimes surprised at how exhausted I would be after riding an hour, and that was western. Dressage takes so much core strength on the part of the rider, as you have to have your seat, and keep your posture, all while you are on a horse that is moving, and the leg strength needed too, he's obviously got to be in phenomenal physical shape.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talked with a Gentleman at the VA a few months ago. He was in perfect health. His age was somewhere in the nineties. He was in the Navy in WWII and involved in protecting our coasts and gulf. never knew about all the Nazi subs in the gulf and off our coasts or all the sunk ships until then.
He had more vigor and better memory than anyone I know of otherwise.He could probably go through basic again and not raise a sweat. Not really of course.
Genetics I guess. He was smoking a cigarette. Those things will kill you.....maybe at 125 in his case.

Happy_Trails

Fulltime, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue Bee wrote:

When I used to ride more, I was sometimes surprised at how exhausted I would be after riding an hour, and that was western.

My wife is 71 and finally got cross riding off her Bucket List. She went out with a guide cross country in the National Forest for an hour. Up and down hills, rocky ground, meadows, crossing streams, etc... When she got back, she did not stop smiling for over a week. Now she is hooked. She did have a bit of a problem with her bad knee. But, then walked a mile or so back to the campground. Still not exhausted, it pays to stay active, we used to go backpacking to 8,000 Plus feet in Yosemite and Sequoia... But at 82+ have quit doing that.

Bob & Nadine
1984 Allegro, always at home!
Living Life With a "Golden Age Passport"
and Thousand Trails VIP Membership, Priceless!
Home Park: Verde Valley.

Korean Veteran - 5th Regimental Combat Team
.....Every Mission assigned,
Accomplished.....

ETex2

E. Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My grandfather shot an 80 on the golf course the day before he fell and broke his hip and went into the hospital. A couple of months later, he passed on due to complications from hip replacement surgery.

Oh yea - he was 101 years old at the time. His sister is still around - she turned 108 last December.

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

How about 74 year old Dan Seavey who is currently competing in the 2012 running of the Iditarod along with his son and grandson?

Mark

As much as it is fantasy, you gotta love the movie "Snow Dogs" and "Eight Below".

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Just goes to show you, age is just a number
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS