|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Armada Tow Vehicle Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chromag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

I have to say you have a pretty good dealer. I have bought 2 TT's and the tech guys weren't as thurough as your's.

Yep - they were pretty knowledgeable and could answer most my questions. He had never seen a Prodigy P3 controller though. I installed it myself prior to bringing the Armada in for the tow prep. He wasn't sure how I should calibrate it but suggested I adjust it based on the "feel" when stopping (i.e. is the TT pushing me forward when stopping, or pulling me back).

The manual for the P3 suggests driving at fairly low speeds and engaging the TT brakes to lock them up. Then lower the settings and try again until you get to a point where they don't lock up.

Since I've only towed once I tweaked the settings as he suggested (around an 8.8 is where I have it now).

skipnchar wrote:

Truck tires are always better when using a truck AS a truck. If you haul bread from the grocery story then passenger tires will work just fine. Good luck / Skip

Yeah that's one concern I have. The vehicle is used by my wife on a daily basis. It primarily runs errands, holds groceries and school supplies, ferries her to work and the kids to and from school.

But if the truck tires would be safer when towing that's more important than a nice smooth ride.

I'm still trying to talk her into getting the Titan tow mirrors installed on it. I just can't see the side of my TT with the stock mirrors. I can see around it (for the most part), but it's hard to tell distance. She's worried about taking them out when parking next to other large SUV's.

Thanks for the help!

2012 Crossroads Z-1 271BH
2004 Nissan Armada with Blue Ox BXW1500, Prodigy P3

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you feel a lot of sway, the WD hitch may not have been set up well. I would review the sticky on here and check your adjustments.

Now if you need new tires anyway, get some LT truck tires. Any load rating will be sufficient for you. I would focus on a good performing tire with light weight. LT tires are heavier than P rating tires of the same size. This really affects performance in my experience, from acceleration, braking, and fuel economy. In my research, the Firestone Destination A/T and Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 were very good performing tires and relatively light weight for their given size.

Also, stick with stock size.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many attributes you will need to re-address when re-engineering your
tire class

First, decide which is on your 'have to have' list vs 'nice to have list'

Both class tires (P and LT) will/can do it safely...just one is better for car
usage (it is designed for that and why 'P' class tires must be de-rated 9% when
used on a 'truck'). The other (LT) class does ride a 'bit' rougher, but since
it is designed for trucks, of course so. LT will also be 'safer' at the limits
than a lower class tire, like the 'P' class on most all half ton vehicles

The re-engineering is dependent on how high in ply rating you go. Why so many
say stick with 'C' or the next higher 'D' rating. I'd not recommend going even
higher to the 'E' ply rating.

Re-engineering is to do with the wheel. Most 'P' class tire/wheels will have the
wheel rated for a max of 60PSI, or there about. 'C' and 'D' ply ratings for 'LT'
class tires normally range up to 60 PSI and again, why folks have recommended
them. Most all LT E ply rated tires will be at 80PSI, above most 'P' class wheels

Am assuming that the OP will stay with the same metric sizing and not
change. As that will then require even more re-engineering. Especially
if the OP changes aspect ratio (profile)

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High winds are a great test of sway. My dailed in Reese is rock solid in 50+mph gusts for example.

Chromag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

High winds are a great test of sway. My dailed in Reese is rock solid in 50+mph gusts for example.

My Armada without a TT behind it isn't rock solid in those kinds of winds.

Chromag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

If you feel a lot of sway, the WD hitch may not have been set up well. I would review the sticky on here and check your adjustments.

Now if you need new tires anyway, get some LT truck tires. Any load rating will be sufficient for you. I would focus on a good performing tire with light weight. LT tires are heavier than P rating tires of the same size. This really affects performance in my experience, from acceleration, braking, and fuel economy. In my research, the Firestone Destination A/T and Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 were very good performing tires and relatively light weight for their given size.

Also, stick with stock size.

Thanks for the info. I've only towed once and it was during some high wind conditions so it probably wasn't the best test of the sway setup.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chromag wrote:

BenK wrote:

Am assuming that the OP will stay with the same metric sizing and not change. As that will then require even more re-engineering. Especially if the OP changes aspect ratio (profile)

Yes I plan on staying with the same size. So you do or do not recommend going up to the "E" rating?

The "D" rating will be fine for you. The "E" will be even stiffer due to more plys. Stick with the "D".

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PopsRacer

Okc, Ok

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LT's aired up to 38-43 psi make a noticeable difference over the OEM conti tires.. My Armada is more smooth & stable in high winds than both the Murano & Lexus GX..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSC07W7KVMY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

* This post was edited 03/08/12 10:25pm by PopsRacer *

2005 6" Lifted Nissan Armada LE (Offroad Beast)
2011 Rockwood 2702SS

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is not all tires are available ion P/C/D/E laod ratings. Most tires in the 17 and 18" 31-33" tire sizes of late model OEM trucks are only available in E. I would rather buy a better performing (grip)and lighter weight load E tire than just any C or D tire.

What is your tire size? Check out Tirerack for detailed information on the tire models they carry, like size, weight, and owner feedback.

Chromag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Am assuming that the OP will stay with the same metric sizing and not change. As that will then require even more re-engineering. Especially if the OP changes aspect ratio (profile)

Yes I plan on staying with the same size. So you do or do not recommend going up to the "E" rating?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Armada Tow Vehicle Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS