RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Level fiver while towing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Level fiver while towing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jarmar

Livingston, Texas et al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have spent a bit of time searching for the wisdom of the past and found nothing. So...to the present wise sages. How important is to have the trailer level with the tow vehicle while moving down the road?

Hope to see you on the road. Believe it or not! Time Well Wasted
2004.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW SWB QC 4X4 SixSpeed 3.73 Laramie Jacobs EB BrakeSmart
2005 Alpenlite Versailles 32RL PullRite SuperSlider RV PowerTank
Class of '05 Quartzsite Survivor

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Level.....probably ideal.

A little nose high......OK
A little nose low.......OK

The problems can be seen in tire wear/uneven load on axles-tires/chucking due to light pin weight/excessive pin weight.

How much out of level are you?

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was a recent post about a triple-axle toy hauler FW that kept blowing out the rear set of tires. Most opined it was because of a nose high situation. My suggestion is/was to purchase an infrared thermometer and check tire temps after a long haul. If your weights on each axle are very uneven, it should show up in the tire temps.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we picked up our new FW on Monday, the guys helping us get it hooked up told me we might be 1 1/2 inches high in the front. Said that was probably ok but too much higher would put more weight on the back wheels, leading to early failure as noted above. I was always worried about the refrigerator getting messed up while trailering short of level, but the newer ones are a bit more resistant to that type of abuse, so may not be a worry anymore.

John A. Lichty

jarmar

Livingston, Texas et al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

My suggestion is/was to purchase an infrared thermometer and check tire temps after a long haul. If your weights on each axle are very uneven, it should show up in the tire temps.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting about the infrared, I have one and in using it I find that the tires on the rear axel are warmer. I have a shop here in Weatherford that is replaceing both axels for me because they are bent out of line. Seems like now is the time to lift the trailer a bit. It is reasonably easy to do. There are four options to raise each end of the axel. Have been having difficulty with uneven wear and lost several tires.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Level means less stress and strain on the truck and the 5er chassis too. It also correctly spreads the weights out evenly over all 4 axles of vehicle and trailer...and also the tires are all evenly loaded.

* This post was edited 03/07/12 12:36am by an administrator/moderator *

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The equilizer bar allows the tires on a multi axle to step over obstacles. The advantages of the bar are many however it won't ditribute weight exactly evenly with a out of level front to rear condition. Nose high will add some weight to the last axle.

Also nose high, the amount mentioned, doesn't take weight off the the trucks rear wheels or hitch however nose high can cause handling issues mainly because of airflow under and over a trailer as it tends to lift the front of the trailer at highway speeds.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

retired-tech

flint mi

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i could be wrong on this but i doubt it. the reason for the equalizer between the springs is to keep the weight on both axles even. so unless you have an axle bottomed out you cannot have more weight on one than the other unless your suspension is not functioning properly. i do agree that having the front end high will take weight off of the hitch causing poor towing in the way of sway and chucking even loss of traction on the rear wheels of TV.

2000 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5 TURBO
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
2007 atlas 24 auto hauler
1987 GMC origional low miles

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you are shooting for level with the ground, not with the truck bed rails. Measure from the trailer frame down to the ground.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

jarmar

Livingston, Texas et al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowman9000 wrote:

...level with the ground, not with the truck bed rails.

Good point. I have a level bubble on the side of the fiver which I use level the trailer when we park. If I am hooked up and on level ground, would this be a good general reference? I have noticed that it seems to indicate a nose up attitude.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Level fiver while towing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS