|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Damaged RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rfaivre

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a new 2008 Four Winds 31ft class c, and three years later I found a very serious leak inside the overhang. According to the tech's who repaired it, it was a mistake that the company made by not properly chaulking the edge of the roof to the exterior panel. Therefore the insurance company would not cover the damage. I wrote several times to the company asking for compansation and I was told that since the waranity ran out, they can not be held responsibe for the damage and the cost of repairs. In fact, my second letter which I mailed in October to the CEO, registered mail, has not responed back yet. It cost me $3,000 to repair the damage. My question to anyone, what would your next move be to resolve this issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank YOu

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 12:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They certainly are not going to say..."Oh darn, you're right..it's our fault!"

In the case of a RV 3 years out of warranty RV, Thor will quote you "that it is the owners responsibility to perform all required maintenance and inspections".

It even states this in the owners manuals. Thor/Four Winds RV assumes no responsibility after the warranty period, or even during the warranty period for something they will call "owner neglect". Sorry!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 02:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 03:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense intended but all RV's are prone to roof leaks and Class C's are notorious for leaks in the overhead cab area - leaks due to failure to maintain caulking are rarely (if ever) covered. Now that your RV isn't leaking make sure you closely inspect the roof at least twice a year and caulk as necessary - many have sealed the edges of their roofs with a product called Eternabond (lots of threads on that subject)

Kevin

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, but I think you are out of luck!

Turner, P

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem with our 2004 Fourwinds. Luckily, we caught it early and the repair was less than $500. The seal between the cabover and van top was installed badly. So it really only was a problem when driving in the rain. Looking back, it would have won some $$ on America's Funniest Home Video when the trapped water came rolling out on our heads.

Paul T

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Sam has an area where you can ask them for help and they will confront the company for you. Frequently, knowing the result could end up in the magazine, the companies respond. Doesn't cost much to try it and that's probably your last resort.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Overhang roof leaks in Class Cs are best addressed with a one piece, fiberglass molded "nose".

Can also build one out of sheet metal / aluminum as is done in commercial trucks.

RV grade noses, with the joints, etc. are no-nos... and serious trouble spots if maintenance is not done regularly and properly.

mikeleblanc413

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

No offense intended but all RV's are prone to roof leaks and Class C's are notorious for leaks in the overhead cab area - leaks due to failure to maintain caulking are rarely (if ever) covered. Now that your RV isn't leaking make sure you closely inspect the roof at least twice a year and caulk as necessary - many have sealed the edges of their roofs with a product called Eternabond (lots of threads on that subject)

I'm with ksg5000...what a wonderful opportunity to learn the value of preventive maintenance...we had a smiliar leakage less than 30 days after buying our new to us Class C...I learned a lot about finding leaks, caulking, how others had addressed this issue, and most especially the value of this forum. Money can be replaced. Enjoy the motor home!

Mike LeBlanc
Retired Photographer, Art Educator
Travel with "Baby Girl" (Catahoula Mix)
Texas

garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Keystone Sprinter that we had to total out due to water intrusion that was due to a manufacturing flaw. I guess in the end it was my responsibility for not seeing that they had forgotten to use any sealant around a corner cap but since there was no old sealant there to begin with there was no old sealant to fix. It was an expensive lesson. I did contact Keystone and there response "no warranty"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW, Pullrite Superglide 18k on a picture frame.
2012 Komfort 3530fbh, Sailun S637, Ground Control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Damaged RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS