RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dumping my tanks at home?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dumping my tanks at home?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
montanacamping

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 01:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering if any one here lives in a subdivision and dumps down there sewer clean out. I can not reach it from my drive way but could from my neighbors drive way. I know that my neighbor would let me and he probably use it also. I can not find any where in my covenants that says that I can not. My hold up is with the water and sewer district, I know that they charge my sewer by how much water the household uses. I was just seeing if any of you have run into this problem. I can not do it very stealth like because it is right in front of my house behind a bush and you would see the hose running to it, and I have nosey neighbors.

2009 Jayflight G2
2005 Z71 Burb
2002 GMC 8.1 crewcab

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 02:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your neighbors are out at 4 am? Really.

You can legally install a sewer clean out in your front yard someplace, and legally dump any sewage that would normally go down a toilet (not gasoline though). I put one in my back yard, where the sewer line runs into the alley, and I can park my motorhome over it, then dump while unloading everything from the trip into the garage. I have a 4" cap, makes it handy.

I would not dump into the manhole cover in the center of the street. The sewage department might frown on that, especially if it really is a access into the tunnel that leads to the storm drain and sewage lines, and they are both inside that tunnel, along with the 4" electrical distribution lines, and telephone and internet wiring. And even if it is the 18" sewage line directly below that manhole, and you can see the "Stuff" flow by, dumping your 4" drain onto the ladder access - well they will not be sending you a thank you card after going down those brown steps with white paper hanging from it.

And if you accidentally dump into a storm drain sewer, then the fines to have someone come out and vacuum up all the mess might run $1,500 or more, and they will bill the homeowner.

Fred.

montanacamping

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 02:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me and a couple other guys on the street work night shifts so some one is always up and around, the plus side is some one is always watching out for you. I am not worried about the neighbors so much because I get along with them all right and the wife is all freinds with there wives, I just wanted to make sure I am legit if some one comes asking. The 4" clean out is aready in the front yard, I can not get to the back yard so front clean out is my only option. Fred you did give me an idea of putting a clean out in my garage I would have to go through the foundation, I'll have to think some more on that.

* This post was edited 03/07/12 02:19am by montanacamping *

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 02:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 4 inch clean out at my curb for 25 years but it was burried under grass. I dug down and installed a riser up above the grass 6 inches for easy dumping and no one cares or ask me what I am doing.
I live in development and all houses are 22 feet apart.

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a macerator pump?

abc40kids

Dale City,Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in a subdivision and have dumped my tanks at home. I have three clean-outs but the one easiest to get to with the shortest run is in my yard out near the road so when I use it, it's pretty obvious what I'm doing but never had any problems. I had one neighbor that was a little currious what I was doing and I told him.... No sewer dump this weekends at the cg so doing it here. Go for it no problems, I would get more hose and stay in my driveway of possible. Good luck!

Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey,Dexter(Golden),Bruno(Pug)
Forest River Cardinal 362bhs 2006
2005 Chevy duramax dually 4x4 crew cab,Ultra Goliath wheels with Nitto Dura Grapplers and Banks exhaust.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

How about a macerator pump?

With 50' of hose. My Flojet can empty 30g's in 3 minutes

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at your City/County Code to see if there's a prohibition about dumping. I suspect there is, because the money grubbers would miss out on the fee (which is usually based on clean water usage). If it were me, I would do it anyway. Disclaimer: I'm not telling you to do it.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dump in a clean out I brought up a bit. I have an extra 30 foot hose I hook to the normal hose That I keep in the garage. I back into our drive to dump. We also use our RV as a spare bedroom and hook it up in the drive. Could dump from the street but do not like the traffic...

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We dump in the sewer cleanout all the time, just like at a dump station. I live in a subdivision in a small town.

Water & sewer fees are usually based on increments of 1000 gallons. The water is metered and sewer fees are calculated off the water usage. Every gallon you run through the water meter costs you sewer fees, even if you use it to fill the RV fresh water tank, wash the car, or water landscaping, when it never goes through the sewer.

I doubt that what you dump out of your RV is enough to get anyone concerned.

I would not live anywhere so restrictive that I couldn't dump in a properly constructed & connected cleanout.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dumping my tanks at home?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: