RV.Net Open Roads Forum: DIY light fixtures?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone tried it? I looked at the fixtures that I pulled out of my Starcraft and I think I have one plastic cover that is still unbroken. I plan to relamp with new LED SMD panels. Only two overhead fixtures would need to be switched at the fixture, the rest I have switched in the walls. Off hand, I was thinking of using a shallow metal cover off a container, adding a grommet into the center for wire pass-through and drilling a couple of holes for mounting. That still leaves a lense or lamp cover to be added but I think, at the present stage, this might be an efficient way for me to relight my TT.
Anybody have any creative ideas for me?
TIA,
Lance
Edit: BTW, I'd like to keep these as close to the ceiling as possible. I may even be able to recess a few of them if the fixture has a small height.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can make your diffusers out of the sides of a HDPE gallon jug (think milk jug).

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

camperpaul

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

camperpaul wrote:

You can make your diffusers out of the sides of a HDPE gallon jug (think milk jug).
Good idea and easy to make! I also have Lexan and even stained glass around here. If I used the glass, I'd probably have to fashion a squarish fixture.
If I used the 36 SMD LED panels do you think there would be a need for a reflector inside the fixture?

No reflector needed...

The LEDs send out a unidirectional beam of light ...

There is a very long (9 pages) thread called "My LEDs" which you might want to read.

The LEDs do generate some heat which will shorten their life if you don't provide for some ventilation holes. It's not enough heat to melt the HDPE.

* This post was edited 03/08/12 09:46am by camperpaul *

camperpaul

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Paul. If they don't need a reflector, I could just cut up some aluminum plate for mounting bases and call it a day. Maybe use some light aluminum angle to form sides so one isn't looking directly at the light display when standing. I can see a plan forming...
BTW, I've read through the LED thread you linked to and the other, longer one, good information from both of those.

If you use 1" X 1/2" "U channel" for the sides, it will save you a bunch of work.

Cut the corners with a miter saw, de-burr and break the corners and you're good to go.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperpaul wrote:

Good idea and easy to make! I also have Lexan and even stained glass around here. If I used the glass, I'd probably have to fashion a squarish fixture.
If I used the 36 SMD LED panels do you think there would be a need for a reflector inside the fixture?

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply, Paul. If they don't need a reflector, I could just cut up some aluminum plate for mounting bases and call it a day. Maybe use some light aluminum angle to form sides so one isn't looking directly at the light display when standing. I can see a plan forming...
BTW, I've read through the LED thread you linked to and the other, longer one, good information from both of those.

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey West, don't go any less than 48 smd led's. I've got both 36 and 48's, and the 36's are very dim while the 48's are just about perfect.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My bad West, just looked and my original led's were 24's. Still though I'd stick with 48's

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U.P. BLDR wrote:

My bad West, just looked and my original led's were 24's. Still though I'd stick with 48's
Hmmm, will be looking over the LED threads again and see what others are using. Thanks, for the tip on the 24# panels, I'll avoid those. Some of the selection process is going to be consideration of how the interior surfaces are configured,i.e. if you have all white surfaces, I would think a smaller amount of LED's could be used. Same might prove true if the interior sapces are small, like narrow hallways. I am using a wood colored ceiling so maybe the 48# panels are the best. Maybe I'll order a mix of panels because experimenting with a $3 illuminator isn't going to break the bank.
Hard to tell from the pictures in your build thread, UP, but are those the 48# panels you have in the ceiling?

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have any U channel on hand but do have some other things in stock. I am going to sleep on what would be the easiest solution for a surround. I bet if I give it some thought, I can come up with an off-the-shelf solution.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS