RV.Net Open Roads Forum: DIY light fixtures?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U.P. BLDR wrote:

Hey West, don't go any less than 48 smd led's. I've got both 36 and 48's, and the 36's are very dim while the 48's are just about perfect.

Scott,

The '24s' you have are probably 24-5050 while the '36s' are probably 36-1210 ...

The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 1210 LEDs but the color temperature of the 5050s is higher, giving a greenish light. They also use a lot more power and have higher temperature rise.

The 48 LED panels use the 1210 LEDs and are 33% brighter than the 36 LED panels; they also use 33% more power from the battery.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

U.P. BLDR wrote:

My bad West, just looked and my original led's were 24's. Still though I'd stick with 48's
Hmmm, will be looking over the LED threads again and see what others are using. Thanks, for the tip on the 24# panels, I'll avoid those. Some of the selection process is going to be consideration of how the interior surfaces are configured,i.e. if you have all white surfaces, I would think a smaller amount of LED's could be used. Same might prove true if the interior sapces are small, like narrow hallways. I am using a wood colored ceiling so maybe the 48# panels are the best. Maybe I'll order a mix of panels because experimenting with a $3 illuminator isn't going to break the bank.
Hard to tell from the pictures in your build thread, UP, but are those the 48# panels you have in the ceiling?

My ceiling lights are still 1156 bulbs, I've mounted the 48 smd led's in a couple wall fixtures and will do the rest of the lights when I'm done with the interior work.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U.P. BLDR wrote:

My ceiling lights are still 1156 bulbs,

A note- I have yet to see an RV fixture rated for 1156 bulbs- they are all rated for 1141/921 bulbs. An 1156, while bright, will melt the fixture and lens.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperpaul wrote:

U.P. BLDR wrote:

Hey West, don't go any less than 48 smd led's. I've got both 36 and 48's, and the 36's are very dim while the 48's are just about perfect.

Scott,

The '24s' you have are probably 24-5050 while the '36s' are probably 36-1210 ...

The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 1210 LEDs but the color temperature of the 5050s is higher, giving a greenish light. They also use a lot more power and have higher temperature rise.

The 48 LED panels use the 1210 LEDs and are 33% brighter than the 36 LED panels; they also use 33% more power from the battery.

Thanks for the info!

camperpaul

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@ Westend:

You got it !

* This post was edited 03/10/12 08:59am by camperpaul *

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great sharing on this Forum, really appreciate the ideas about which panels to pick. I'm now thinking of using the 36-1210 panels. I'd rather have a diffuse, dimmer aspect than a bright whitish light. I will probably order a selection of both since a task light over the countertop needs to be bright to work but for just lighting up the areas with overheads, I think the #36 panels will do a good job and be battery friendly. Am I on the right track?

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

U.P. BLDR

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

U.P. BLDR wrote:

A note- I have yet to see an RV fixture rated for 1156 bulbs- they are all rated for 1141/921 bulbs. An 1156, while bright, will melt the fixture and lens.

All the light fixtures in my 1981 Sunline use 1156 bulbs from the factory, soon to be all led.

camperpaul

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

U.P. BLDR wrote:

This fixture has a glass globe and originally used two 1156s.

My '73 Prowler had similar fixtures that used an 1156 and a 60Watt 120Volt lamp.

camperpaul

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do it...

If you have an old (pre 1995) bottle of "Fantastic" or "Formula 409" cleaner, read the label...

If there a "WARNING: If sprayed on glass, wipe off immediately." then it's the right stuff.

While wearing heavy rubber gloves, coat one side of the glass with the "cleaner". Let it sit for about an hour then rinse with a lot of water.

Those two products contained hydrofluoric acid which will etch the glass and give you a fairly good light diffuser.

If you want to get artistic, you can draw simple pictures on the glass with "Dykem" before doing the etching. The Dykem can be removed with rubbing alcohol.

* This post was edited 03/10/12 06:16pm by camperpaul *

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just took a trip to he dollar store, one of my sources for small metal bits. I was thinking some sort of cookware like cookie cutters may make a good shroud for mounting the panels but they didn't have anything in stock like that. I took a trip down another aisle and spotted these small metal card frames:

The back of the frame without the back cover:

This frame has a piece of glass and I'm thinking should be big enough for the 36-1210 panels. What do you guys think? It would be easy to mount and would be a very small profile, also. I can cut a piece of aluminum plate to cover the back of the frame and remove the black matte portion of the frame. That should hold up to heat and actually dissipate it fairly well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS