RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Mojave National Preserve

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Mojave National Preserve

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone been there? I'm thinking of going in a week or so.
Any information/experience camping at Hole-in -the -wall CG?

Thanks.

Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

hugemoth

Bend

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was there last fall, rode the motorcycle to Hole in the Wall, and walked through the campground but didn't camp there. The hole in the wall trail is short but interesting and there is a visitor center there. The old train station turned museum at Kelso is worth seeing too.

Off Pavement

The Silver State - Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've boondocked just outside Mojave National Preserve, and camped within at the Mid Hills campground. We prefer the Mid Hills campground as the campsites are further apart with trees separating most locations (many with a view), but Hole In The Rock is a fine campground... typical I think for desert federal locations.

The most desert vegitation I've seen anywhere is in the Preserve.

Mojave Boondocking Location

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off Pavement: from what I read online about Mojave, they didn't recommend Rv;s in Mid Hills CG. I'll have to check on that again but I'm pretty sure. I would prefer campsites further apart, that would be a plus.

Also I'm going around the 20th of this month if that would matter.

Thanks for writing.

CliffBandringa

N/A

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hole-in-the-Wall Campground is the only improved campground in the Mojave National Preserve. However, there are other campgrounds nearby, such as Afton Canyon, Primm, Nv, and around Needles. There is paved road access to Hole-in-the-Wall. I’ve never camped there, so I’m not sure how well it is maintained. You can always call the park’s headquarters in Barstow at 760-252-6100.

There is lots to see in the Mojave National Preserve and one can spend many days seeing all of the hidden gems. I invite you to watch our virtual tour overview of the Preserve at:
http://www.backroadswest.com/trips/2011/06/mojave-national-preserve/

Enjoy your trip!

Cliff Bandringa
http://BackRoadsWest.com
Trip blog: http://www.backroadswest.com/trips

soos

me

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we were there yesterday, but are staying in Barstow. unless you have a very small rig do NOT go to Afton Canyon. we did a drive by of Owl Canyon, and we could have fit our 37 ft 5th wheel there. Owl Canyon also has great hiking (rainbow basin). If you go to the Kelso Dunes in Mojave Preserve,, you have to run down the big steep hill to make the dunes sing. I also highly recommend the hike to the lava tube.

Sue

Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

soos

me

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Afton and Owl Canyon are outside the park, the Lava tube is inside it.
the ranger will tell you how to get there if you ask them.

JimK-NY

fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also stay at the Kelso dunes with any sized rig. If you have a reasonably sized rig, but not a big rig, you can also stay at the Lava Tube. These are approved dispersed camping areas with plenty of space but of course no facilities.

Hole in the Wall is pretty nice. The sites were quite large and it felt empty when I was there a few weeks ago with only 3 other campers.

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your suggestions. I will explore the park in my toad. Are Afton Canyon or Owl Canyon in or out of the park. Now about the lava tube?

I really appreciate the information.

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just there last month: Not to camp but drove thru and it was so nice, lots to see, weather was warm, crowds were thin. You can dry camp anywhere where there is already a fire-ring in place so if you want solitude, you'll certainly find it.
I stopped in Kelso and had a slice of pie-ala-mode at the old-fashioned, restored lunch counter and drove to the dunes to see if I could hear the humming they are noted for. A real must visit)
Owl Canyon is just outside of Barstow and I was so surprized at how nice and clean and well maintained it was. There is water available and some nice hikes. The cost is $6. a night unless you have a Senior pass and then its $3. BUT I can't see staying there long as there is little to do after you have hiked the trails to Rainbow and to see the camel footprint fossils.
Afton is a nice campground also but last I heard the road to the dam/water/river was 4 wheel drive only.
Hole-in-the-Wall was the most unique and had some hikes but not for these old bones The campground above Hole isn't recommended for RVs. Its higher than the rest, so I would pack warm clothes for the cool nights.
If you drive thru Barstow on the way, stop at the Mojave Headquarters for more ideas. (Its at I15, and the Hwy 247 exit) and you go to Barstow without visiting the Route 66 and Railroad museum.
I took I40 and Route 66 east out of Barstow and that was kind of fun, especially if you stop and get a road quide to point out the sites. But beyond Ludlow 66 is a washboard and not much to see or do. Get back on I 40 to the KelBaker Road exit.
Have fun.

Our Road Less Traveled

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Mojave National Preserve
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS