RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Don't just water your grass, rinse your tank.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Don't just water your grass, rinse your tank.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
goshe

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a lawn sprinkler man most of my life, I have found a very simple way to flush my holding tank. For about $7 and a trip to your local hardware store you can pick up a Rain Bird stream rotary nozzle 17'-24' and a couple of fittings to go onto the end of a hose. The rotating streams do a good job of cleaning the inside of the tank.

2007 Duramax, 2009 Hallmark Guanella, 2013 Cougar 28SGS

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks interesting. How do you do it? Shove the hose down through the toilet, or up through the dump valve?

I wonder if I could put one of those on the end of my rinse wand that I use down the toilet?

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2010 F450

goshe

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Looks interesting. How do you do it? Shove the hose down through the toilet, or up through the dump valve?

I wonder if I could put one of those on the end of my rinse wand that I use down the toilet?

I put the hose in the dump valve opening, but it's a straight shot for me.
I don't know why you couldn't access the tank through the toilet with a flexible garden hose or wand.
It's nice to have the nozzle rotate in the tank as you pull it out. I think it does a lot better job.

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is an excellent idea..

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goshe wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

I don't know why you couldn't access the tank through the toilet with a flexible garden hose or wand.
It's nice to have the nozzle rotate in the tank as you pull it out. I think it does a lot better job.

So if I understand this correctly you push this up through the opening that you normally hook up your drain hose,turn it on and rinse away??

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mayo30 wrote:

goshe wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

So if I understand this correctly you push this up through the opening that you normally hook up your drain hose,turn it on and rinse away??

RIGHT . . . NOT FOR ME . . . THINK ABOUT IT

Where I Am Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W ARRL VE FT DX2000

Steve
1999 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Cooper . . . The Aussie-Doodle

goshe

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mayo30 wrote:

goshe wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Yep. The nozzle doesn't put out much water but you still need to watch where you stand.

goshe

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

mayo30 wrote:

goshe wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

RIGHT . . . NOT FOR ME . . . THINK ABOUT IT

RVin's a dirty job. Just don't use your fresh water hose.

JimK-NY

fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a very nasty experience with my gray water tank. The tank had not been used or flushed for weeks and the odor grew to unbearable levels. Now I am careful with my tank. First I keep food particles out as much as feasible with the use of fine mesh stainless steel screens. These are available at Camping World and other suppliers. Next I periodically add a quarter cup or so of bleach to the tank. I drive around for a day or so and then flush the tank. I have not tried to stick some sort of sprayer up the drain. Considering the 90 degree angle, I doubt that would do much. Instead I do think very highly of the power of a little bleach.

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gray tank for the kitchen can smell as bad as the black tank or worse. First I try keep food particles out as much as possible with fine stainless steel mesh screens we got at the dollar store. Occasionally I put a little bleach or pine oil down the drain to kill odors. I think the sprayer idea of yours inserted up the drain line from the outside would be a good thing after draining the tank first and I may look for one and use the garden hose at home to do that.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Don't just water your grass, rinse your tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS