|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wireless remote for lift/lower 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

Curious what kind of remote you got? It can make a difference how you wire it.

Mine had a solenoid so I just went straight to the same spades the switch connects to with an up relay and a down relay. Be careful that if your remote is a "momentary up - momentary down" on the same button that there is a delay before it switches. Otherwise if you walk out of range or let up slightly on the button it will instantly reverse - and it's a little hard on the gear and motor.

I did buy another solenoid and added it to my slides so I could remote control them as well, but I don't remember where I got it. Somewhere on-line.

This is a 2 button remote. Its for a Tracker winch bought from Princess auto here in Canada.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

83trekker wrote:

I am having trouble finding a solenoid with 7 post like the one in my diagarm, or could the both postives go on one post, both negatvies on one post. and a postive go to the middle of the toglle switch and ground out each side of the switch?

Looked at your diagram. That is a solenoid made for reversing a DC motor. You need all 7 terminals wired as shown. It is made to work with a single pole double throw switch. Your remote then just hooks into the various terminals on the solenoid.

So who has a trailer that came with a solenoid? Once we find somebody with one, we can get the information off of it and track one down.

ERS

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't it be easier to just get the product designed for this application.

Landing Gear Remote Control

and cheaper yet,
Same thing from Adventurerv

* This post was edited 03/08/12 05:04pm by bpounds *

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bstark

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The solenoid is required to control and direct the very high amperage required to feed through those 6 guage wires.

Any RV jack motors I've looked at had 12 guage at the largest so I'd be surprised if you'd even need a solenoid for any of them.

I kinda think the multi-function rocker switches used on most trailers are capable of the amperage load without a solenoid.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just get the product designed for this application.

Landing Gear Remote Control

and cheaper yet,
Same thing from Adventurerv

Mine was 50 bucks on sale, those above are way to expensive. Be alright if i had slides to extend out.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need the solenoid - just google up "reversing solenoid" and a batch will show up. Here is what you would be looking for and there is a wiring diagram. Your two button remote should work.

reversing solenoid

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstark wrote:

The solenoid is required to control and direct the very high amperage required to feed through those 6 guage wires.

Any RV jack motors I've looked at had 12 guage at the largest so I'd be surprised if you'd even need a solenoid for any of them.

I kinda think the multi-function rocker switches used on most trailers are capable of the amperage load without a solenoid.

This is what i am thinking too, do i really need solenoid if my motor doesnt have one? i know for sure its not wired with 6 guage , maybe 12 gauge at most.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

83trekker wrote:

bstark wrote:

This is what i am thinking too, do i really need solenoid if my motor doesnt have one? i know for sure its not wired with 6 guage , maybe 12 gauge at most.
Actually I had it backwards - my slides had the solenoid, but the landing gear did not. The landing gear went straight through the DPDT switch. I added the solenoid because my remote control relays were not designed to handle the 30A the landing gear motor was fused at.

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

83trekker wrote:

bstark wrote:

Actually I had it backwards - my slides had the solenoid, but the landing gear did not. The landing gear went straight through the DPDT switch. I added the solenoid because my remote control relays were not designed to handle the 30A the landing gear motor was fused at.

So maybe i will be alright then with out it? cant wait to get my trailer in.

For the toggle switch for our landing gears, is the switch usually when you press it to eaither side to raise or lower competing a ground our a postive?

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm scratching back about 5 years when I did it, but I think it was all switched on the positive side. I remember the generator start threw me off because it actually switched ground.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wireless remote for lift/lower 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS