RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Bar Harbor Maine

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
guitar2

Mayfield KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
My wife and I are planning a trip to Maine for the month of September for 30 days. There seems to be a lot of options there, but since we are staying for a while we want to choose well. Are there any members out there who have stayed in the Bar Harbor area. I would like to get any feedback I can on the quality of services in the area. Thanks in advance.

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a recommendation for this one in Bar Harbor, Maine

RV Parks - Bar Harbor, Maine

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several cg options in the Bar Harbor area, some of them very expensive (KOA, for example). I don't know that I would consider any of the cg's resorts - but all are very suitable. One thing I would consider when choosing - Is the cg serviced by the free shuttle? LL Bean Island Shuttle is an awesome way to get around - into Bar Harbor and Acadia. We have stayed at Bar Harbor Campground - they do not take reservations - but I would think that Sept will not be a problem. They do not take credit cards - cash or check only. We have also used Narrows Too in Trenton - but on the Island Hopper route. They might have a monthly rate, not too sure. It's an ok cg, but we don't spend extra for a site on the water - not worth it - just a pull thru fhup is fine. Both of these cg's have a lobster pound right near their entrance - yum!!! Have a great trip.

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at The Narrows Too. Waterfront sites are very expensive but they do have other more reasonably priced sites especially if you only need 30 amp.
http://www.barharborcampingresorts.com/content/4010/RATES/
It's a great location and has a free trolly stop right at the park that takes you into Acadia National Park. Managers were great. We had a site with a "peep" of the water but not for the waterfront price. They do have weekly rates. Not sure about monthly. We would definitely stay there again.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

quoyfab

Northeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been all over the USA and most people (after spotting our license plate) will talk of their visit to Maine, and I just know they are gonna mention visiting Bar Harbor. Almost all speak very fondly of their time there. Weather is about the only fault brought up, and it is hit or miss. It can be very crowded from late June to Labor Day, but you'll find plenty of elbow room in September.

I'm not clear on what you mean by quality of services, but generally speaking I believe you'll find what you want or need on the island.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took a fall colors trip a few years ago and stayed at a campground/rv park just about across the street from the KOA at Bar Harbor. Can't recall the name of it, but it was nice. The KOA also looked very nice. When you ask about "quality of services in the area" I think you are asking about campgrounds. But, I guess, you could be asking about a lot of things such as sights to see, eating places, grocery stores and so forth. Perhaps you could clarify your question. Have a great trip.

2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
2013 Ford Edge
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

Kentucky_Joe

Fort Thomas, KY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Bar Harbor cg last June for seven nights. We enjoyed the cg. We had a site at the top of the hill that had an awesome view of the water. The cg wasn't anything fancy, but it was all we needed and we liked that you got to pick your own site. We liked the "feel" of the campground. Had all types of sites. Shaded, open, etc. We also liked the location. There was a grocery store next to the cg and we visited a pharmacy just a few miles away. There are plenty of restarants in the area. Do not take credit cards. We paid for six nights and got seventh free when we were there. They said they are never full except occasionally in July and August so I don't think you would have any trouble getting in. People working in office were very nice. We really enjoyed the area, took several tours, saw a show, did some short hikes and enjoyed sitting down on the docks watching the cruise ships. PM me if you have any questions.

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bar Harbor KOA is very expensive as well but offers the most incredible sunsets you've ever seen. Bar Harbor itself is an ecclectic mix of touristy shops, whale watches, sailing trips, restaurants, bars with some great live music, and lots of great people watching. Acadia National Park offers hiking, beautiful scenery, horseback riding, a great place for afternoon tea, and my favorite thing-a carriage ride through the park. Then there's all the tourist stuff along Route 3-mini golf, go karts, scenic plane rides, shops, and lobster shacks. You can spend a month in and around the area doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that plus it's the beginning of fair season. I'd make reservations for Labor Day weekend but after that you should be able to move around some without preplanning a lot.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

DKSmith

Edmond, OK, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Narrows Two and ask about a monthly rate. They regularly advertise seasonal rates which are really good for the area, and for that time of the year I would imagine they would want to work with you.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to the OP ---
You don't list what you consider important in a CG, so it's difficult to advise you. We stayed at the Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA, on a waterfront site in July 2010. Easily, the most beautiful and picturesque campsite we have ever booked!

Very expensive ($90/nt) and no sewer hookup.

That KOA also has a vendor who comes in and steams lobster right in the center of the CG every night. It really was a pretty good deal, too. There are lots of campsites there which are back from the shore, full hookups and less expensive, if that's what you are after. As others have posted, you have plenty of CG options in the area and should have a great time.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS