|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> bunk removal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am very interesting as well on removing the bunk beds in a new JAYCO X213 trailer we was wanting to get this year. Be sure to post your results on getting them out. The bottom bunk comes right out but the top bed is permanently mounted it appears..

I wanted to remove the bunks and convert the room into a desk area for computer/office items, radio console, and small storage area just inside the side door.

We havent found our X213 trailer yet so still in thunk mode...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dealer's shop cut my top bunk back on my trailer before I took delivery. It looks like it may have been screwed into the outside wall in a couple of places. And the panel at the head of the bunk was also cut down to make a headboard for the bottom bunk. The head of the bunk is against the closet. The feet of both bunks were recessed into a space next to the bathroom, so we left that part of the bunk platform to make a storage shelf.

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We removed our bunks this winter to make them removable for when we don't need them, but able to put them back when we do. This allows us to have an office setup when it’s only the wife and me and bunks when others join us.

For the top bunk, I was able to carefully remove the trim on the bottom of the platform then remove the bottom panel. After the panel was removed, I was able to see the screws through the frame and into the walls. The only issue I had was one corner where the frame fastened by 2 screws through an interior wall into the bunk's frame. These screws pulled through the stud & wall paneling with minimal damage to the wall.

For us the top panel on the top bunk was glued to the frame. The bottom paneling was not. Once I realized this, it was pretty easy. I was able to remove the trim & panel with very little damage and reused them when I put everything back together.

Our top bunk had no reading light wired into the bunk's frame. If yours does, it should be fairly easy to remove the light fixture then remove the wire from the bunk's frame as the it's removed. You may want to disconnect the battery beforehand so you don't short the wires and blow a fuse. Ideally, if you're not repurposing the wire you should trace it back to it's source and remove it... or you could install an electrical box in the wall, insulate the ends of the wire with wire-nuts or tape, put the wires into the box, and install a cover on the box.

I posted some photos in my thread on the subject (link)... but unfortunately, I do not have photos of the details you are looking for.

Happy Camping!
John.

Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

Dynamic Duo

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your comments. This week's weather is just right for getting started on the project. I'll take photos and notes along the way and post the good, the bad, and hopefully ugly won't be part of the project!

2008 Jay Flight 26BH

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> bunk removal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS