|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> V10 oil pressure sending unit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't experienced 'low' pressure in my V10 either. It's a 2000, E450, as well .

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

chinrv

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After spending several hours looking for info on the oil pressure switch, it seems that there are are lot of part numbers and a big range in prices. The part number "SW5696" appears to be the correct one for Motorcraft, but there are all sorts of alternate numbers for Ford as well as OEM type suppliers. The biggest problem for me at the moment is that I can't locate the unit itself under the RV. It's been said that it USUALLY is next to the oil filter, but there's nothing at all attached to the filter housing, and no wires anywhere nearby that might lead to the pressure switch. I found one generic diagram, but it's not at all helpful. I was hoping to first just make sure the wire connection was OK, but I can't seem to even locate it. QUESTION: Have any of you V10 owners actually, personally, replaced this thing and can offer an explanation or point me to some useful information. It does seem the non-reading on the gauge in colder weather is a problem that's been going on with the Ford engines for a number of years, but this is my first experience with it. My next step is to change the oil and install a new filter just to make sure the filter itself is not part of the problem. Again, any personal experiences would be really appreciated.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ummm... there may be some incorrect info in this thread. If you have an actual gauge, your sender for that is probably not a simple on-off switch. But bear in mind that I'm not a Ford man.

I'm pretty sure that they use a thin diaphragm with a type of strain gauge etched onto it... basically a really precise conductor that runs back and forth several times. When the diaphragm domes up under pressure, it stretches the conductor slightly, causing its electrical resistance to change proportionally. This is amplified & translated by an electronic circuit into movement of the gauge needle. Dunno if they build an on-off switch into the same assembly to operate the idiot light but I wouldn't be surprised, knowing how much influence the bean counters have on design.

My GM 8.1's gauge sending unit failed, and it was $125 for just the part. I keep meaning to dissect the old one, but haven't gotten around to it. But the cheap electronic tire pressure gauge I that did take apart worked just this way.

Jim, "Never mistake tolerance for hospitality."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Handbasket wrote:

Ummm... there may be some incorrect info in this thread. If you have an actual gauge, your sender for that is probably not a simple on-off switch. But bear in mind that I'm not a Ford man.

It is. They have been that way since 1990 or so, on all Fords.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,SmarTire,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never touched one. Nor seen one either. Sorry, no help.

garyindaupeh

Negaunee MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home Skillet wrote:

Handbasket wrote:

It is. They have been that way since 1990 or so, on all Fords.

If you have an oil pressure gauge, it reads the actual pressure. If you just have an oil light it just indicates that you have adequate oil pressure (Approx. 9psi). I don't know where Home Skillet got his info, but it is wrong! I have a 1990 Ford F150 with a gauge and the pressure fluctuates depending on various conditions. My motorhome is a 1996 on an F350 chasis and the same applies to the gauge reading. For each of the vehicles NAPA indicates 2 different sensors depending on whether the vehicle is equiped with a gauge or merely a light.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFAIK, there's no way to get analog info like a range of pressures out of a binary (on-off, or yes-no) sending unit. You need something like the strain gauge I described above, or a slider along a coil like some liquid tank sending units.

Jim, "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

chinrv

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2001 Dynamax has a Ford E450 with a 2000 date on the door pillar. It has an idiot light and a gauge that indeed does show varying oil pressure readings. I always assumed that the readings were actual oil pressures not just an on/off situation of having or not having oil pressure. Weather permitting, I'll be under the RV today or tomorrow to start looking for the oil pressure sending unit, by removing and changing the filter and also to see if there are any wires anywherethat might lead to something that looks like the connector for the pressure switch. There are pictures of the unit online and they show that the unit screws into the engine...somewhere...and has 2, possibly 3, wires coming out. Luckily this isn't a problem with running or ruining the engine, just something that has to be fixed to prevent any future problems.

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Skillet

Don't go away mad... At least before you explain to me how the pressure gauge shows variable pressure, with just an on/off switch? I'm con fused and INTERESTED.

I'm thinking that I can learn something here, and i'm hoping you will attempt to enlighten me.

My 'Shade Tree' kinda got stunted about 20 years or so ago.

thx
hoppe

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyindaupeh wrote:

If you have an oil pressure gauge, it reads the actual pressure. If you just have an oil light it just indicates that you have adequate oil pressure (Approx. 9psi). I don't know where Home Skillet got his info, but it is wrong!

OK. You got me.

Myself, being a former Ford Senior Master Tech for 25 years, ASE Master Technician, means I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Sorry If I misled anyone.I'm done here!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> V10 oil pressure sending unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS