|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> V10 oil pressure sending unit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
chinrv

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone experienced any intermittent oil pressure signal sending problems in their Ford V10? Sometimes, recently, upon startup the oil pressure gauge doesn't give any reading at all and the idiot light stays lit. Restarting it usually works, and/or reving it a little will cause the needle to start working, and then the pressure reads its normal level. This situation happens only occasionally, and only when first starting it up in the morning. It's a 2000/2001 Ford E450 V10....about 180,000 miles.

weasel4

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has your engine got the required amount of oil in it?
BTC

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The oil pressure switch is screwed into the oil filter housing.
With that many miles, you may have some crank bearing issues. The only way to check it is with a manual oil pressure guage.

The guage is actually an on/off device, like the idiot light bulb. It does not read oil pressure.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,SmarTire,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it sound OK? Or does it start to sound more metallic when It doesn't show pressure?

Hopefully just a sensor though, from what people say about these motors. Keep up posted.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Manual pressure gauge check first. Fail = engine problem.

Then check for bad sensor if above pass.

Check for wiring / fuse.

Before you do all that, reset the computers and see if it makes any difference.

chinrv

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The engine has the correct amount of oil; the oil changes were always done at 3000 - 5000 miles using Ford's Motorcraft 5-20 oil and Motorcraft filters. The engine sound when the gauge isn't giving a reading is exactly the same as when everything is showing correctly. It seems to me that the problem is with the oil pressure sending unit itself, and not with any other malfunction. If I didn't look at the dash, I wouldn't even know something wasn't working. Since we've had this unit from day 1, and I've driven it 99.9% of the time, I kind of have a feel for when something doesn't feel or sound right, as does anyone else who's driven the same vehicle of their own for more than 10 years. That's why I was wondering if anybody had a similar situation with the sending unit. But from the replies, it seems like this is not a common enough problem, and it'll have to get checked out by someone with the proper diagnostic tools. Naturally I don't want to just try throwing parts on it and hope something works. Oh, well.

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chinrv wrote:

it seems like this is not a common enough problem, and it'll have to get checked out by someone with the proper diagnostic tools.

The oil pressure switch issues are a common problem.

You can pull the connector off the switch and look for oil contamination. That would indicate a defective switch.

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would replace with a Gauge and a new sending unit, The sending in yours is bad so when you change it have them to install a Oil PSI gauge and do away with the dummy light, Also if there is no water temp gauge I would replace that with a gauge also, With a oil light when its on the engine is just about done and with a temp light the engine is already hot by the time is comes on, Just way better to see what is going on before its all ready over.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your sender isn't sensitive enough. Probably best to swap out.

FYI - my V10 does the exact same thing on really cold morning if I run the Purolator Pure-One filter. I suspect the media is restrictive enough that the filter bypass is opening, causing pressure to drop at the sender. My suspicions were corroborated later when I read a filter study that showed the Pure One filter was the most restrictive. This does not happen to me with any other filter, so now I run pretty much any other premium filter, other than FRAM.

But.... the MotorCraft filter should not cause this issue, unless you got a filter with a weak bypass valve. You may want to put in a new filter to rule that out.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon (14-pass all captains chairs)
V10 - 375,000 miles

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home Skillet wrote:

... The gauge is actually an on/off device, like the idiot light bulb. It does not read oil pressure.

So, what you are saying is that the "gauge" is nothing more than a fancy idiot light? If so, that disappoints me; I thought I had a real gauge on my V-10. Is that also true for the temp gauge which, from what I've read elsewhere, only rises from the "normal" reading when you have a serious temp problem?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> V10 oil pressure sending unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS