|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Things that go whap whap in the night

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During the dead of night we heard a helicopter. It sounded like it wa right over us because of the mountain near the back. It hovered or flew around the immediate area for a while. Perhaps and hour later heard helicopters again, two perhaps three. They hovered and flew around the area for a long while. I didn't get up and eventually managed to go back to sleep.
This am talked to staff about it.
Seems the parking lot was also full of Border Patrol vehicles.
Not the first time as area is apparently a regular route for Drug Smugglers and Illegals from Mexico.
We're east of Kingman.
We had snow last night after the dust storm. Only an inch or less but the mountains are pretty. Cold and still spitting an occasional flake.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figured a little bit of clarity needed.
The Travel Center a bit down the road is the hotspot not the campground. Just convenient for landings, I guess.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know where Kingman is, or even what state it's in, but if you're near the Mexican border anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised that the border patrol was out doing their job. Be glad they are there.

Now if you're on the Canadian-US border ... you just gotta watch out for those dangerous Canadians. They'll "polite" you to death you know!

FYI, I live (literally) with cornfields adjoining my back yard. It's quite common to see helicopters hovering low to the ground in this area when the corn starts shooting up. (They're drug-enforcement authorities flying those choppers). They're looking for marijuana growing in the middle of cornfields. I think it's really fascinating to watch them when they get close!

Be glad our tax dollars are at work!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beware of the black helicopters !!!!!!!!!

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I imagine he is talking about Kingman Arizona. Anywhere on the southwest border it is to be expected. I remember when I was in the air force and stationed in california. We went to Tijuana and were back on the american sie in San Ysidro, wlaking back to our hotel. Several BP agents came up behind us and startled us, they said just to keep walking normally as we did for another 50 yards or so and then they darted out. Illegals came up out of the woodwork that we never even seen. Doing their job and good at it. The sound of those choppers, is the sound of your country remaining safe. Just as we used to say about the sound of the B-52's in the middle of the night or the roar of an F-15 as its afterburner lights up the night sky.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly

tktplz

Lake Bistineau, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

I imagine he is talking about Kingman Arizona. Anywhere on the southwest border it is to be expected. I remember when I was in the air force and stationed in california. We went to Tijuana and were back on the american sie in San Ysidro, wlaking back to our hotel. Several BP agents came up behind us and startled us, they said just to keep walking normally as we did for another 50 yards or so and then they darted out. Illegals came up out of the woodwork that we never even seen. Doing their job and good at it. The sound of those choppers, is the sound of your country remaining safe. Just as we used to say about the sound of the B-52's in the middle of the night or the roar of an F-15 as its afterburner lights up the night sky.

Yup, live by Barksdale AFB, Bossier City, La. SAC AFB with B-52's as their main flagship. Nothing like the sound of a B-52 at 500-600 feet overhead, WOW!

"Confidence is the feeling you have before
you fully understand the situation"

1999 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
TorkLift Tie Downs
2010 Travel Lite 690FD
1996 ZX11 Ninja
2000 ZRX1100
2008 Yamaha Zuma 50 Scooter
2010 "Blue" Bulldog, "Luna"

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from RV Parks, National Parks, State Campgrounds & More

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tktplz wrote:

wbwood wrote:

Yup, live by Barksdale AFB, Bossier City, La. SAC AFB with B-52's as their main flagship. Nothing like the sound of a B-52 at 500-600 feet overhead, WOW!

I was in the navy stationed at Naha, Okinawa in 1968. We use to sit at the hanger doors and watch the B-52s take off from Kadina AFB headed for Nam. There would be flights of 10 to 20 B-52s taking off at 20 second intervals. Wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of that. They carpet bombed from 15,000 to 20,000 feet, too high to be hit by ground fire and too high to define any particular targrt in the jungle.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had to go down to Nha Trang or Long Bin, etc I liked to hear the C130s and other turbo props singing. Right near the flight line it would drown out a lot of other noise like rain on a tin roof does.

traxtermax

UPSTATE NEW YORK

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were in the area in 2009, I'm was told there were meth labs in the area that kept moving from one spot to another when it got too hot for them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Things that go whap whap in the night
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS