|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Things that go whap whap in the night

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live on the NC coast with Marine bases to the north and south of our house. Besides the aircraft noise, the Marines really get going now and then dropping bombs that will shake the window panes. Actually the whole house.

Around here, we call that the sound of freedom. Gives me a good night's sleep.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were camped in Navarre, FL (panhandle) and heard that whapwhapwhap - then explosions/high-speed machine gun fire, etc. Sounded like it was happening about 1 block away - EEEEKS!!!! Come to find out, Eglin Air Force base is where they develop weapons; and we were being treated to a night-time "battle" that lasted all night.....

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at the OBX last year, camped at the NPS CG at Frisco. I was trying to nap one afternoon when I heard a helo. No biggie, I refueled plenty of the dang things in the Navy off the coast of 'Nam. I kept hearing it, tho'. Figured maybe the Coasties were searching for a lost boater. Raised up from the couch, looked out the windows, couldn't see it, but kept hearing it. Finally got up and went outside. Dam'! It's a V-22! Grabbed the camera in time to snap a few pix as it started away.

Jim, "Sarchasm: The huge void between those who get it and those who don't."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a Coast Guard station at Waukegan Airport, about two miles West of
Illinois Beach SP.

When a chopper went out on an SAR mission, they flew directly over the campground.
If the sound didn't wake me up the radio traffic on Channel 16 (156.8 MHz.) did.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

ArkieVet

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our home for 22 years, before fulltiming, was near the Peason Ridge Training Area in Louisiana. Until England AFB closed, we were on the approach path to the impact area for the A10 "Warthogs" (tank killers.) They flew very low and slow, sometimes circling our community, on their way to complete their life fire attack runs. I usually enjoyed hearing and watching them flying overhead. And, I am very happy that they exist!

Retired U.S. Army SFC ('67 - '88)
(Infantry, AG Corps)
Nam Vet - Infantry (68-69-70 & 71-72)
2009 F350 Crew Cab Dually PSD Tow Boss
2009 Cameo F35SB3 w/TST TPMS
Life Member MOPH and DAV
KC5UCN

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You haven't lived until you have F14's warm up the after burners 100yds from your concrete barracks at 5 AM! Courtesy US Marines Iwakuni, Japan.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage it has to be a helicopter — and therefore, unsafe.'

- Fixed Wing Pilot -

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just Saturday, I was watching the C130's returning after dropping Airborne School jumpers at Ft Benning. Our family farm, where we often camp, is directly across the river and directly in the flight path for the birds. They are still just above treetops when they come over. Yes, I thought the sound was definitely inspiring and sounded like freedom.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 02:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in Imperial beach, for a long time, that is south of North Island Naval Air station, in San Diego, right under the flight path, to the naval base.

Loudest aircraft, F-4 Phantom, E-3 Vikings, they have a very distinkt WOOOOPPP, the F-18 Hornet and the new F-18 Rinos, all Navy and Marine helicopters, P-3 orions both navy and customs, the Cobra gunships, now we we have the V-22 ospreys, C-130 hercules, we also have Coast Guard San Diego Satation, and we have the helicopter practice heliport, of Ream Field to the south.
We also get the C-5A Gallaxies and the new one I belive they are the C-117, saw the Russian Antonov six jets land at North Island, watched Air Foce one several times.

Watched the 100 year aniversary, fly over by the navy, from Coronado Isalnd, The entire wing from the USS Carl Vinson CVN 70, flew over, would not want to be in receiving end of that.

I can tell what is flying over by the sound. We also have the Border Patrol Helicopters, the most impresive, is watching the Navy Seals, parachuting into the bay from the C-130, or jumping from the SH-60 Sea Hawks, all I can say is, it is the sound of freedom.

To all armed forces personell

THANK YOU

Navegator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Things that go whap whap in the night
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts