RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: moaning sway control

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > moaning sway control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
4runner roo

cape cod ma

New Member

Joined: 04/13/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a new wdh with friction sway control .This thing makes a lot of moaning noises its a Reese pro series 1000 lb bars.My previous hitch was the same except 600lb bars but the only time it made noise was when it was wet .Is their some reason the new one would make so much noise.

badboy368

OHIO

Senior Member

Joined: 03/18/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/07/12 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a little bit of spray lubricant or grease. it may collect some dirt sometimes but its easy to clean off and re-apply.


40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby


allen8106

Burrton. KS

Senior Member

Joined: 01/31/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/07/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

badboy368 wrote:

a little bit of spray lubricant or grease. it may collect some dirt sometimes but its easy to clean off and re-apply.


DO NOT spray anything on them. It will damage them. they always moan. Check your instructions.


2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
1983 DW (love of my life)
2010 Pit Bull Terrier (Jake)

2010 Camp Nights 45
2011 Camp Nights 70
2012 Camp Nights 144
2013 Camp Nights 46
2014 Camp Nights 49
2015 Camp Nights 57
2016 Camp Nights 49


301TBS

Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/02/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/12 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is normal, as said. If u lube it, it will no longer be a "friction" sway control.


2012 Crossroads Z1 271B
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 10/10/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/07/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh no! never lubricate them! I agree! The purpose is for friction. The tighter the better. You can lubricate the little ball on the frame of the trailer and you can lubricate the little ball on the hitch, but never lubricate the slide bar itself. If your sway bar made no noise at all, I'd be worried. (It's not tight enough). But more likely, the ball on the hitch may need a good dose of grease too. You can test this out by simply driving a short distance with the sway bar on, make a few turns and see if you hear the groaning. Then remove them and make turns again. If the groaning is gone, it's definately the bar. It's perfectly OK the bars make noise.


DutchmenSport

You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your truck, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens. - I quote myself.
.


2112

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it's the friction plate? My trunnion bars moaned where they attach to the hitch until I greased them. Grease all contact points EXCEPT the plate itself and see if that helps. Are you sure you need the friction plate adjusted so tight?


2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857


Terryallan

Foothills NC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Are you sure it's the friction plate? My trunnion bars moaned where they attach to the hitch until I greased them. Grease all contact points EXCEPT the plate itself and see if that helps. Are you sure you need the friction plate adjusted so tight?


The friction is adjusted at the factory. You will in all likely hood never need to adjust it more.
The Handel is NOT the adjustment. It is the On /Off switch. When the Handel is tightened all the way to the bolt stops, The bar is "On". Loosen it, and it's off. Lube it, and it's useless.

The adjustment, Is the bolt UNDER the Handel. Leave it alone. Until the pads begin to wear out.


Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers


BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 10/16/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/07/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

2112 wrote:

Are you sure it's the friction plate? My trunnion bars moaned where they attach to the hitch until I greased them. Grease all contact points EXCEPT the plate itself and see if that helps. Are you sure you need the friction plate adjusted so tight?


The friction is adjusted at the factory. You will in all likely hood never need to adjust it more.
The Handel is NOT the adjustment. It is the On /Off switch. When the Handel is tightened all the way to the bolt stops, The bar is "On". Loosen it, and it's off. Lube it, and it's useless.

The adjustment, Is the bolt UNDER the Handel. Leave it alone. Until the pads begin to wear out.

Good and correct advice by Terryallan![emoticon]
Barney


2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2016 Ram Laramie 2500, 6.7L CTD, 4x4, SB
Visit our website here


eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

Senior Member

Joined: 07/21/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, make sure it's the friction bar and not the trunion heads. Grease the sockets for the trunion heads.

If it still moans, it will quiet down with use.


2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73



SWD

Land of Living Skies

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it still moans, it will quiet down with use.

And there again it may not. After 7 years of use mine are still noisy.
Put lube on them...you might as well throw them away.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > moaning sway control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2016 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS