|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> moaning sway control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using any friction based anti sway system I would CERTAINLY advise you NOT to use any lubricant on any of the friction pads of you may as well toss it on a shelf and leave it home. It is the nature of the beast for them to groan (and pop in wet weather). To get rid of the groaning, if it bothers you that much, loose the friction based system for a duel cam system. Usually a friction system will become quieter as it becomes older and more used. I'd just roll up the windows and let it groan.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

2112 wrote:

Are you sure it's the friction plate? My trunnion bars moaned where they attach to the hitch until I greased them. Grease all contact points EXCEPT the plate itself and see if that helps. Are you sure you need the friction plate adjusted so tight?

The friction is adjusted at the factory. You will in all likely hood never need to adjust it more.
The Handel is NOT the adjustment. It is the On /Off switch. When the Handel is tightened all the way to the bolt stops, The bar is "On". Loosen it, and it's off. Lube it, and it's useless.

The adjustment, Is the bolt UNDER the Handel. Leave it alone. Until the pads begin to wear out.

Good and correct advice by Terryallan!
Barney

HogWash, read the instructions. There is no way the factory could possibly know how much sway your setup has. This is a trial and error process per the instructions. Install it and test it, adjust the bolt 1/4 turn clockwise with a 3/4" wrench if more control is needed. Do Not turn the handle during this process. Repeat this process until desired control is achieved. If you tightened the bolt to where you need to turn the handle more than 360 degrees counter clockwise to loosen the plate or you are trying to control a trailer 30' or longer a second plate is required. I had to install a second plate.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2020# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

BarneyS wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

2112 wrote:

Are you sure it's the friction plate? My trunnion bars moaned where they attach to the hitch until I greased them. Grease all contact points EXCEPT the plate itself and see if that helps. Are you sure you need the friction plate adjusted so tight?

The friction is adjusted at the factory. You will in all likely hood never need to adjust it more.
The Handel is NOT the adjustment. It is the On /Off switch. When the Handel is tightened all the way to the bolt stops, The bar is "On". Loosen it, and it's off. Lube it, and it's useless.

The adjustment, Is the bolt UNDER the Handel. Leave it alone. Until the pads begin to wear out.

Barney

HogWash, read the instructions. There is no way the factory could possibly know how much sway your setup has. This is a trial and error process per the instructions. Install it and test it, adjust the bolt 1/4 turn clockwise with a 3/4" wrench if more control is needed. Do Not turn the handle during this process. Repeat this process until desired control is achieved. If you tightened the bolt to where you need to turn the handle more than 360 degrees counter clockwise to loosen the plate or you are trying to control a trailer 30' or longer a second plate is required. I had to install a second plate.

Nope your wrong, and I DID read the instructions. While they don't know what trailer your going to put it on. they do know how much sway your trailer is supposed to have. which is ZERO. And they know how much friction is safe. Yes I said safe. Too much friction, and the TV, and TT will not straighten out after a turn. This can cause a loss of control. Even on dry pavement.

Sway conrtol bars are NOT to be used to PREVENT sway. It is only to help control it once it has been introduced by a sudden jerk of the steering wheel, or other emergency manuver. If your rig has sway. You need to fix it before you add a sway control devise. It is unsafe to tow a trailer with sway, and no trailer should sway in normal driving, Even with out sway control. which is why they can safely tell you to loosen the sway bar in wet or slippery conditions. Your trailer shouild track straight, and behave at all times. So you see, they do really know how much sway your setup should have. None.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

2112 wrote:

Barney

Hi Guys,

I believe you understand how you would adjust yours but the words you used do not fit all brands of friction sway bars.

I have a Husky friction sway bar and I can assure you if I rotate the on/off handle as many times as it can until the bolt stops, it will break this device in use from so much friction.

This has come up before. I'm not saying yours may not have a stroke stop on it, but all friction sway bars may not be made equal.

See here.

The On/off handle is on the right in this pic above. I backed off the on/off handle until the bar just slide out in this pic. You can see how nice and parallel the friction pads are from being adjusted properly. If I crank that on/off handle approx 6 to 7 turns more until the handle stops, it will over compress that side of the bar so hard you will buckle the sway bar trying to turn right with the truck.

I agree the handle is on/off and I agree that to tweak more pressure when the pad wears is to tighten the bottom bolt to compensate for wear. But on this one, you only spin the on/off handle enough to do the job and then stop with the handle in line with the bar or at least out of the way of being hit. This is about 7 full revolutions from running out of threads.

When I use to use this thing I only tightened it with 1 finger until I felt enough pressure from trial and error which was about 1 revolution from the pad kissing the bar. I never turned it the 6 to 7 more revolutions until it ran out of thread.

Hope this helps

John

PS We had another member a while back call the bar manufacture of his bar and they told him the stickers where made wrong and to only tighten this on/off handle enough to control the trailer.

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Nope your wrong, and I DID read the instructions. While they don't know what trailer your going to put it on. they do know how much sway your trailer is supposed to have. which is ZERO. And they know how much friction is safe. Yes I said safe. Too much friction, and the TV, and TT will not straighten out after a turn. This can cause a loss of control. Even on dry pavement.
IMO, the instructions (REESE for example) are quite clear about adjusting the sway bar "until the desired control is achieved".

3. ADJUSTMENT
a. Trailer configurations and loading, road and weather conditions, towing speed, tire condition and pressure, and center of gravity of
trailer, all affect towing. To get maximum benefits from the sway control assembly, a series of road tests should be taken with the
loaded trailer. During the first road test try the sway control at the factory pre-set force. On subsequent trips increase or decrease
tension by turning the adjusting bolt (7) in 1/4 turn increments in the direction shown on the label until the desired control is achieved.

UNQUOTE

If there were a single "safe" amount of friction, the manufacturer would not tell the user to increase or decrease tension until the desired control is achieved.

Ron

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

And this is why if you have to turn the On/Off Handle more that 360 degrees couter clockwise to loosen the plate it is adjusted too tight and unsafe.
Quote:

Sway conrtol bars are NOT to be used to PREVENT sway. It is only to help control it once it has been introduced by a sudden jerk of the steering wheel, or other emergency manuver. If your rig has sway. You need to fix it before you add a sway control devise. It is unsafe to tow a trailer with sway, and no trailer should sway in normal driving, Even with out sway control. which is why they can safely tell you to loosen the sway bar in wet or slippery conditions. Your trailer shouild track straight, and behave at all times. So you see, they do really know how much sway your setup should have. None.
There's the difference between the two worlds, Ideal and Real. Using your logic sway control devices of any type wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be a market for them. I have yet had a need to make an emergency manuver or jerked on the streering wheel so I should not have experienced a need for sway control, so why buy them?

Actually, with all this said I did discover the major contributor to my sway issue was low TV tire pressure. The door sticker said 32 lbs while the tire has a max of 50 lbs. I didn't realize this for about 6 months. Once I increased the tires to 50 lbs alot of my problem cleared up but I'm still not 100% sway free.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 04:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I your DW can't undo the friction bar it's to tight! That's my rule and it's worked for me for 7 years

Noise, yup she still pops and moans. I just lube contact points of the trunion heads as well as the ball mounts of the friction control and that`s it.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run two friction bars and adjust the handle till it bottoms out. It does not seem to tight and moans alot when in town or making turns. If I know I am going to be going into town or getting ready to pull into a park I will loosen them up. I have not messed with the factory setting it seemed fine the way it came. Thing is with so many different variations of trailers and weight and length your going to get a bundle of suggestions on how to fine tune the bars. But if they are not making noise they are not working..

2011 Work and Play 30WR. Added 2nd AC, four deep cycle batteries.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

And this is why if you have to turn the On/Off Handle more that 360 degrees couter clockwise to loosen the plate it is adjusted too tight and unsafe.
Quote:

There's the difference between the two worlds, Ideal and Real. Using your logic sway control devices of any type wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be a market for them. I have yet had a need to make an emergency manuver or jerked on the streering wheel so I should not have experienced a need for sway control, so why buy them?

Actually, with all this said I did discover the major contributor to my sway issue was low TV tire pressure. The door sticker said 32 lbs while the tire has a max of 50 lbs. I didn't realize this for about 6 months. Once I increased the tires to 50 lbs alot of my problem cleared up but I'm still not 100% sway free.

So you found "most" of your sway problem. Work a little more, and find the rest of it. Then add the sway control. Just because you haven't yet had to use an evasive manuver. Does not meant you never will, and that is why sway control is a must. Needing sway control so that you can drive in a straight line is a dangerious ssituation, and should never be done. Should the sway bar fail. Your sway would jumnp all over you, and should it fail at 60 MPH. Your in the ditch. That is why your trailer should have zero sway.

HarleyEnough

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's a Reese Dual Cam system, which I believe it is, then just use vasoline as it states on page seven of the instructions (Instructionshttp://www.towingproducts.net/application/support/instructions/N26002.pdf). When I had my TT I used the reese dual cam and I wiped them down with a clean paper towel and put a light coating of vasoline on them before every trip. I did this before every trip and they pulled great, controlled sway and never wore down. In fact there was very few spots where the paint even wore off. And no rust since the vasoline protected the bars. The dual cam system isn't really a friction system so much as a mechanical sway control IMHO.

Edit:
**Ok I take that back. It does look like it's a friction sway control and not the dual cam system. So I agree you can't lube the friction sway controls. For the dual cam I recommend the vasoline as it really helped my bars hold up. It's actually recommended for heavy tongue weights to avoid excessive wear.**

2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW
2006 KZ Sportster 41GKx2 Toy Hauler
KZOwnersForum.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> moaning sway control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts