|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> teton pass in may

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
grandma lynn

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be my first long trip driving a gasser MH, We want to come out of Idaho on 22 over teton pass the middle of May. For those of you that have driven MH's longer than I have is it easly done at that time of year? I have been over it in a car so I am not unfamilar with the pass. Now if I had the 5'ver and the dodge I would not think anything about it. What do ya'll think?

full-timer in training

Duke-44

Wyoming Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teton pass as you may know is a 10% grade. I would not take my rig over it. Go around through Alpine and up Snake River Canyon. Save you tranny and brakes.

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, here is what I think. If you have done it in a car and a Dodge and a 5'ver, I think you will have no problem with a motor home.
Now having said that, I have never driven a Dodge with a 5'ver, but I have done the car thing. So, my experience is with a 36' Class A towing a car and here in BC we have mountains and our average grade on a major highway is 8% with some 10%.

I do believe you can do it!!

Have fun

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

sh410

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it also has a sign just before you start on the steep part, that is not recommended for RV's. Yep, I missed the sign.

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pulled it last summer and it was a tough climb. And that was with Banks headers and exhaust, Gear Vendor, dual tranny coolers, and a fairly new radiator with additional cores. I don't know that I'd ever recommend it to anyone though. I could not keep RPM at peak torque. I run synthetic fluids but after Teton Pass and other tough passes heading up through Colorado and back down that way they got an immediate change once home. I was willing to risk my tranny just to have done Teton. Probably not a wise decision though.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

grandma lynn

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the responses, if I remember right the Idaho side is not as steep a grade so should not be as bad a pull. Now that Wyoming side, it is something else, dropping down that should be interesting. My DH has not been over that pass so would like to show it to him while he can still travel.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teton pass is a major route back and forth from work for folks in the area and they will probably not find it convenient to be slowed down in that endevor, especially where there are much EASIER ways to get to the same place. Little doubt you could do it but I'd have to ask "why".

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 12:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Pass should be fairly quiet in May and if you drive it during non-peak traffic hours you should be ok, it will be, as you know, slow and it will put a bunch of strain on your unit so....! Your biggest concern may be coming down into Wilson--your brakes will definitely know they have been used.
I have traveled the Pass many, many times in a regular auto/truck and I will say that I have never seen a broken down RV on the pass, been behind a bunch of them that I thought wouldn't make it, but they did.
Personally, I would never attempt it in my motorhome under any circumstances--I'm not into watching that temp gauge peg. I don't think I would enjoy it.

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the summit cam to give you an idea of weather, when you're ready to try it......

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Here is the summit cam to give you an idea of weather, when you're ready to try it......

Yes be careful with the weather. It can snow on that pass any month of the year. Early morning and late afternoon the traffic can be very heavy.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> teton pass in may
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS