|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel pin support

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JoeWebPage

Palisade, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see lots of 5th wheels with a tripod looking device supporting the pin on the trailer while parked.

Is this really necessary and what exactly does one expect it to do? Seems that I occasionally see one's hitch hanging from the pin, making it double bad if it's really needed.

I don't have one as I'm not sure they are really needed.

Any thoughts?

2012 Durango 2500 325RL, Remote jacks, 5500 Onan, TST TPMS
2004 GMC Duramax, USAF retired

missourijan

Carson City until December

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll get a lot of opinions on this, both pro & con. We use one when we are set up for a period of time. It does seem to give us a little less side to side movement. There are other methods, those bars that go between the front landing legs also help.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used our UltraFab steel tripod king pin support for 7 years, pretty much whenever we set out 5th wheel up. It padlocks to the king pin (don't use the one it comes with, get a good combination lock padlock). It can support up to 5000 lbs! But I wouldn't try to support the entire weight of the 5er on it.

The trick is to put a bit of the 5ers nose weight on the Tripod, then it really solidifies the "jello wiggle". The other trick is to put the rear jacks down on several Lynx Leveler blocks, the less extended the rear jacks are, the less wiggle also. And some folks also adding some BAL Chock & Locks between the tandam wheels helps also.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

azjeffh

Chandler, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeWebPage wrote:

Is this really necessary....

While it may help stabilize the trailer, it is not necessary.

Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
05 F250 Supercab PSD w/Tow Command
05 HR Savoy 29RKS

JoeWebPage

Palisade, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

We have used our UltraFab steel tripod king pin support for 7 years, pretty much whenever we set out 5th wheel up. It padlocks to the king pin (don't use the one it comes with, get a good combination lock padlock). It can support up to 5000 lbs! But I wouldn't try to support the entire weight of the 5er on it.

The trick is to put a bit of the 5ers nose weight on the Tripod, then it really solidifies the "jello wiggle". The other trick is to put the rear jacks down on several Lynx Leveler blocks, the less extended the rear jacks are, the less wiggle also. And some folks also adding some BAL Chock & Locks between the tandam wheels helps also.

Well, it seems most are using these as a "stabilizer" of sorts. We have a new Durango that came with the stabilizer bars and also replaced the 3 step entry with a 4 step with support jacks underneath the 2nd step. We never feel anything, even when someone comes or goes through the door. So, I'm guessing this is definitely something I don't need.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeWebPage wrote:

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Well, it seems most are using these as a "stabilizer" of sorts. We have a new Durango that came with the stabilizer bars and also replaced the 3 step entry with a 4 step with support jacks underneath the 2nd step. We never feel anything, even when someone comes or goes through the door. So, I'm guessing this is definitely something I don't need.

That's WHAT they are for...stabilizing the rig.
So NO..you don't need one.

Ford Man

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one (tripod type) that I bought with our first 5th wheel in 2003 and it is propped up in my basement and it is so bulky to carry I just do not fool with it. I have thought about trying the kind that looks like an A with only 2 legs.

Rob_Fla

Where we Park It

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We currently use the landing gear stabilizers instead of the pin tripod to get the "Jello" wiggle out.
We used the pin tripod on our last 5th Wheel and it worked ok getting the "Jello" wiggle out but the landing gear stabilizer arms we have now work much better, they are much easier to setup and they take up no storage space.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2012 GMC 3500HD SLT DRW

BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never used one. I installed Steadyfast Stabilizers and use Rotochok wheel chocks. Using them makes our unit very stable.

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased our 2001 Cardinal used in 2003. The seller had a two-leg support and gave it to me when I picked the camper up. I've never used it once.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel pin support
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: