|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BTWHITIS

Somerset, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took a small upright frigidare and took the temp sensor from the freezer plate. Kept moving it around in the refrig until I got it to freeze to the bottom of the unit. Placed a cup of water in the bottom. When it froze I knew I had it right. I've got it in a 2012 bounder 35K in the washer dryer spot. Works great. Now we can take frozen garden produce with us. Warning, do not fill the metal freezer compartment with more than ice cube trays or it won't freeze. got to have that open air.

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why didn't you go to Sears and buy an upright freezer for about $150? They havre all sizes, I got a small one for the back of the truck a few years ago to do just what you wanted, carring extra food.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTWHITIS wrote:

I took a small upright frigidare and took the temp sensor from the freezer plate. Kept moving it around in the refrig until I got it to freeze to the bottom of the unit. Placed a cup of water in the bottom. When it froze I knew I had it right. I've got it in a 2012 bounder 35K in the washer dryer spot. Works great. Now we can take frozen garden produce with us. Warning, do not fill the metal freezer compartment with more than ice cube trays or it won't freeze. got to have that open air.

was this an rv fridge or compressor unit was wondering about if could be done with small rv unit myself as my dometic has only small freezer compartment

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It won't last long before it stop running. The compressor was designed to run a fridge not a freezer. The other problem is those cheap fridges are not insulated enough to use as a freezer. Good idea but that's why they manufacture freezers since they use more insulation and a slightly difference cooling system.

shooted

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

past-MIdirector wrote:

It won't last long before it stop running. The compressor was designed to run a fridge not a freezer. The other problem is those cheap fridges are not insulated enough to use as a freezer. Good idea but that's why they manufacture freezers since they use more insulation and a slightly difference cooling system.

I agree. There are controls available to use a freezer as a refrigerator, but not the other way because of the reasons listed above.

C Schomer

Buckeye, Az.

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, refers have a low temp system and the fresh food part just takes some air from the freezer. Two door units (non frost-free) have a pigtail coil off the freezer coil to cool the frsh food... like rv friges. The biggest difference is the size of the system. It takes a bigger system to make the entire box a freezer. Yours will have much longer run time which makes it frost up more but that depends on how much the door is opened, too. You don't have anything to lose except maybe some grub in case the compressor dies when you aren't around to rescue it. Craig

KA4EBU

memphis,tn,usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one at Office Depot and ran it for several years as a freezer, no problem..Only took it out of the basement of motorhome for more room..

Don and Pauletta
2003 Phaeton 40RH
2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Misty - Enjoying on the Rainbow Bridge
Sophie - Maltese

shooted

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oops, I misunderstood, but the end result will be the same, premature failure is likely.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to agree with some of the posters which feel that the fridge is going to expire an early and untimely death.

Fridges, especially small 1-4 cuft "dorm" style simply are not built with enough insulation.

I have a 1.2 cu ft dorm fridge in my basement of my sticks and bricks and I have a 10 cu ft apartment size in my TT (RV to home fridge conversion).

The dorm fridge runs 40 minutes per hr in the basement (ambient air temp in basement is 65 degrees) and the apartment fridge runs 20 minutes per hr with ambient air temps of 80-90 degrees.

By moving the sensor you will false your fridge into thinking the temp needs cooler and thus the compressor will run much longer then it was designed for. Additionally it WILL use much more energy than if you bought a purpose built FREEZER.

It however is POSSIBLE to take a FREEZER and convert it to a very energy efficient refrigerator by doing the same thing you did. The reason for this is freezers tend to have twice if not three times the insulation that a fridge has. This is due to the fact that deep freeze units are dealing with -20F or colder temps.

If you don't believe me then take a look at the following link
Chest freezer converted to a fridge

Just because you were able to freeze a cup of water it doesn't mean that it is a GOOD freezer. A good freezer will be able to maintain 0F or lower and not run much.

By freezing a cup of water you may be only at 31F degrees, heck you can actually freeze water at 33F just by bumping the super cooled water it will form ice crystals.

You need to quantify by using a thermometer.

BTWHITIS

Somerset, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read all the reasons it won't work. Spent the entire winter in Arizona and it is still working fine. Not doing too bad for a old frig that was setting around in the garage.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS