|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fords "Unconventional" tow vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's illegal about that setup??????????? Over the rear axle ratings on the car....I promise.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

What's illegal about that setup??????????? Over the rear axle ratings on the car....I promise.

Mav

Unlikely. 300-400lbs of tongue weight distributed with a weight-distributing hitch. I can almost guarantee that there's is little more weight on the rear wheels than if you put a couple 200-lb guys in the back seat.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet the farm that the reason they use the SHO was the upgraded suspension/tires. A lot cheaper having them already on the TV than having to purchase and install upgrades.
Many of Can-Am's conversion require upgraded tires and suspension parts. I remember about 10 years ago they took a small Dodge sedan type and towed the same type 31 footer Airstream. But it did need upgraded tires and a lot of welded in bracing in the rear of the car. IIRC it came out about $5300 including the Hensley hitch.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gijoecam wrote:

Admittedly, I didn't perform my due diligence... I thought it was a twenty-something footer, not a thirty-one.

However, a thousand pounds is nothing.... Myself, three stocky buddies, and our golf bags doesn't seem like an unreasonable load for a Taurus, does it?

I'm sure at 1000#, a Taurus would be at or over GVWR. IIRC, they use the 154# average per the number of seatbelts to determine a cargo capacity. Assuming a Taurus is a 5 seater, it likely can carry around 700 - 800# payload. The other thing is that a passenger & golf bag load isn't suspended all at one point 3 to 4' behind the rear axle; it's much closer to the CG, and dispersed. Big difference.

Ford says a Taurus SHO weighs about 4300#. They also say it has a max trailer tow rating of 1000#. I couldn't find the Taurus SHO GVWR anywhere on the web.
Still not something I'd do or recommend.

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gijoecam wrote:

MadMav wrote:

Mav

Unlikely. 300-400lbs of tongue weight distributed with a weight-distributing hitch. I can almost guarantee that there's is little more weight on the rear wheels than if you put a couple 200-lb guys in the back seat.

I don't know where you are getting those numbers from. If you get factual data, it's a little different.

The video clearly states that RV is an Airstream 31' Classic.
Specs for that unit are:
- 10,000# GVWR
- 805# hitch weight
- 7174# base weight (no options)

Airstream 31' Classic Specs

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

gijoecam wrote:

MadMav wrote:

Mav

I don't know where you are getting those numbers from. If you get factual data, it's a little different.

The video clearly states that RV is an Airstream 31' Classic.
Specs for that unit are:
- 10,000# GVWR
- 805# hitch weight
- 7174# base weight (no options)

Airstream 31' Classic Specs

Admittedly, I didn't perform my due diligence... I thought it was a twenty-something footer, not a thirty-one.

However, a thousand pounds is nothing.... Myself, three stocky buddies, and our golf bags doesn't seem like an unreasonable load for a Taurus, does it?

Hannibal

Gas Station

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be more concerned about the unit body construction of the Taurus becoming fatigued and cracking at the hitch bolts after a few trips than anything else. I installed a 2" receiver on our 2010 Escape for our bicycle rack. I wouldn't feel comfortable towing with it. That and it looks like cool damp weather in the video. Not a huge radiator and trans cooler in the Taurus. To each his own but for "my" comfort, if it needs WD, air bags or some heavy over-engineered contraption in the receiver, it needs more TV. Our local AS dealer brings them in with a HD pickup and no WD or sway control. Just a ball in a solid ball mount. I like that idea better.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 80k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
'07 KZ Jag 28JFSS.

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Ford Flex = exact same platform, and is rated to tow 4500 pounds WITH 7 passengers.

...with a max of 450# tongue weight, and limited to 35 sq ft frontal area which on a 7.5' wide RV would make it have to be under 5' tall. FLEX towing guide. I couldn't find any reference to the claim that the Flex can tow 4500# AND carry 7 passengers. I'd be willing to bet big dollars that would exceed it's GCWR.

If you check the TAURUS TOWING GUIDE, the regular (non-EcoBoost) Taurus is rated to tow 1000# max with a 100# max tongue weight. The EcoBoost model's tow rating is zero. It doesn't have one. Ford specifically states that model is not designed to tow. Given that, put a hitch on your Taurus SHO and you can kiss your powertrain warranty good bye.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford Flex = exact same platform, and is rated to tow 4500 pounds WITH 7 passengers.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garfield wrote:

One thing that I think should be noted about Andy Thomson and Can-Am is that they don't try to steer anyone away from driving a truck -- if a truck is what you want they're more than willing to set you up accordingly. But fortunately they offer carefully thought-out solutions for the rest of us too.

I beg to differ, about 10 years ago Andy personally did his very best to tell me what "I" wanted and needed and become quite cold and hostile when we were looking for our first fifth wheel and did not come to his perspective.
Needless to say we walked away without purchasing anything from their delaership.
Now they sell DRV Mobile Suites which I think will end up being our retirement rig, but I am having a hard time going back to them with the bad taste in my mouth that he left me with.

2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fords "Unconventional" tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS