|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> KVH R6 In Motion Dish w/ Directv

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
5thwheeleroldman

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After a lot of advice from this forum and several phone calls, I'm probably going with the KVH R6 in motion dish and directv. Though a little overkill for my 5th wheel, it seems this installation is the most dependable and trouble free. Directv uses mostly one satellite, thus avoiding a lot of software updates and problems that Dish has with their multiple, and shared, satellites.

I probably will do it when I get home in a couple of weeks, so if anyone has any conflicting advice, I'd like to hear it.

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm puzzled by why you would go with an in-motion dish when you probably don't spend much time in your 5th wheel while it is in motion? The Winegard Trav'ler has become the stationary rooftop dish of choice for most RVers and it can provide HD; no dome or in-motion system can get HD on DirecTV. The Winegard uses a full-size dish and, therefore, can get signals when the smaller dome units cannot and doesn't suffer from signal loss due to condensation on the dome.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

5thwheeleroldman

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This dealer, who I have found to be honest for about the past 12 years, tells me the KVH is much more reliable and subject to less updates, than the Winegard. Also, he says it is much more labor, at $98/hr (and Obama says we have no inflation!!) to wire in the Winegard, resulting in about the same installation cost. He says Winegard is pretty callous in it's support for warranty, which he thinks you will need with Winegard??

Hey, I'm about to lay out about $3000, lay out the objections now before I have committed!

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Winegard SK3005 Traveler cost was $1750 installed. It picks up all the Direct TV channels including high definition channels. No updates in two years.
I think your dealer is blowing smoke. My dealings with Winegard as far as warranty claims on my old manual crank up dish were great.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

happytrader59

league city Tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the KVH R6 and am very happy with it in my Motor Coach, I cannot see spending that kind of money for a 5'ver . I had a Winegard Movin View on my previous 5'ver and never had to do any updates for 5 years. If I was going to do it over again with a fifth wheel ,then I would go with the big traveler from winegard and get HD . The KVH has some extra expense with it to hook up another TV, ie.. a special "only from KVH" DC BLOCK SPLITTER and a Special Signal Destacker that is needed at a cost of $225.00 just to hook up the second TV, and you will need another DTV box and seperate subscription $5 per month.

2008 Monaco Camelot 43', 2007 Jeep Wrangler

5thwheeleroldman

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, guys. I think my old dealer, or at least his dish installer, was trying to scam me. Really hate to lose trust in someone. Did some more calling and will now go with a Winegard minimax dome and a directv receiver, along with installing directv in our stick home. All told, I will be out $1250, or less on the 5th wheel, as opposed to around $3000.

ljr869

Fallbrook, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KVH R6: You won't use the in-motion, only picks up 1 sat, can't get HD

Winegard Trav'ler: HD and multiple sats... go with Winegard

If you were going with Dish I would say 'maybe' since DTV can get HD on Dish.

Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5thwheeleroldman wrote:

This dealer, who I have found to be honest for about the past 12 years, tells me the KVH is much more reliable and subject to less updates, than the Winegard. Also, he says it is much more labor, at $98/hr (and Obama says we have no inflation!!) to wire in the Winegard, resulting in about the same installation cost. He says Winegard is pretty callous in it's support for warranty, which he thinks you will need with Winegard??

Hey, I'm about to lay out about $3000, lay out the objections now before I have committed!

X2 on the Winegard Trav'ler SK3005 Direct TV slimline satellite....Clay L got a heck of a deal on his SK3005 purchase and installed....They have them on sale now at Camping World for $1595...installed with tax is going to cost me a little over $1949 at Camping World...

My friend has one of these on his 5er and it works great...get's ALL the high definition channels offered by Direct TV.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> KVH R6 In Motion Dish w/ Directv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS