|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> 4 wheeling in Banff

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
zwicky

illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading to Banff in July and was wondering if there were any off road trails. I wanted to rent a Jeep and go 4 wheeling. Does anyone know anywhere to rent a jeep? I have seen some websites on rneting atv but those are quit pricey, any thoughts.
thanks
jennifer

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No off-roading allowed in the National Parks. Parks Canada is very strict about keeping traffic on the roads and not in the trees with the wildlife. You may be able to do some in Kananaskis country though. Lots of provincial rec areas permit atv's and other off-roading stuff.

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the above is correct.. That all being said.. When/If you do take advantage of the trails that are available in Kananaskis have a great time however... Keep in mind that they are/were created and maintained by volunteers who have seen some of their hard work taken from them because others have come in and shown no respect for the land and/or ecosystem. Tread lightly and as we all do remember the rule of thumb.. Leave it better than you found it. In regards to JEep rentals.. I woud think a car rental agency may be the only place HOWEVER I am pretty sure that as soon as you put one tire off the pavement the insurance will walk away from you (I read the agreement once). You could check out Hummer tours if you wanted to be a passanger.. I'm almost certain you'll find them in the area.

JN_B

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty hard to find a jeep rental around here. I wanted to rent one (I was interested in purchasing one) for an extended test drive. I called all the major rental places, and they said they don't have jeeps in the fleet. Also they don't hold vehicles for people.

I'd go on one of the hummer or offroad tours. probably see more interesting things than heading out on your own.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

romore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD is right. There are some great places to play in the Kananaskis area to the east but stay outside of the park boundaries. Check with the Calgary Ground Pounders

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/12 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD is correct. No off - highway pavement in Canadian national Parks ( except a few undeveloped campground roads.
John ( retired Park Warden, Banff N.P.)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> 4 wheeling in Banff
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS