|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bent axle tube

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
8iron

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

ExRocketScientist wrote:

Some have been bent between the spring and the wheel. How did they manage to do that?

If bent between the spring and the wheel, this is generally referred to as a bent spindle. Because the actual axle, very rarely bends in that area. Reasons for a bent spindle are hitting something hard with that wheel, while carrying a heavy load over that wheel. Could be a pothole. Could be hopping a curb while making a turn, then dropping off the curb. Could be by pinching the wheel up against a curb, or something while making a turn. This forces the bottom of the wheel towards the inside, and the lateral pressure causes the spindle to bend at it's mounting point.

And then off course, overloading the trailer and hauling over bumpy roads can fatigue the axle over time. This fatigue can occur at the spindle mounting, the center of the axle, or any other point. Then there are those (seriously uninformed) that position a jack in the center (or toward the center) of the axle to lift the trailer to change a tire.

Probably many other reasons too. But honestly I don't know of any manufacturer that intentionally under rates a trailers axles. And there is a label that shows cargo carrying capacity. But people will still overload the trailer, and feel the trailer axles are under rated, rather than accept blame for themselves.

I agree with most of what you are saying...In my case the TT was equiped with 3500# axles on a unit that had a UVW of 6,200#. The axles were at 90% of capacity before I put water, propane or any of my stuff in it!! The GVWR of the unit is 7800#. Our wet weight as we left the dealer lot was Cat scaled at 6800#. Once I started looking at other TT manufacturers, the majority seem to be doing the same thing. Yes, on paper the numbers work, and yes, you would subtract tongue weight from the total but when you are already so close to the limits then add the really poorly manufactured Lippert axles on a unit bouncing down the road, it is inevitable they bend.

2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Lippert axle fail from a rough section of I40 between California line and Meteor Crater,Az. The spring perch which is on top of my axle collapsed into the axle tube. This happened on both sides of the rear axle. To those who do not think they can collapse an axle tube by jacking up their trailer with a bottle jack on the axle tube this is to me enough that it can happen. The axle was replaced under warranty but I had to spend 3 extra days at Meteor Crater campground waiting for the axle replacement. After the repair I checked my weights on a CAT scale in Flagstaff and I was only 4200 lbs on 5200 lb axles. The weights were only about 80 lbs difference from front to rear axle. I found the problem when I noticed the rear tires were wearing on the inside. After the repair I looked at the failed axle. I was shocked how light in weight the axle is and how thin the axle tube is.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

8iron wrote:

ExRocketScientist wrote:

For those of you who have bent an axle tube on a trailer, how did it happen?

Undersized axles of inferior quality (Lippert) = 2 bent axles.

Partialy agree. I have 2 Lippert axles that bent. Don't know why. But they are not undersized in my case. Each one has a 4400# rating. x2 =8800#. My TT weighs 72-7300# loaded. The place where I took them to get straightend mentioned that they were made with soft material. So ya the quality is inferior, but they are rated okay.

I thought only Dexter made a 4400 pound axle.

ERS

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

8iron wrote:

ExRocketScientist wrote:

Undersized axles of inferior quality (Lippert) = 2 bent axles.

Partialy agree. I have 2 Lippert axles that bent. Don't know why. But they are not undersized in my case. Each one has a 4400# rating. x2 =8800#. My TT weighs 72-7300# loaded. The place where I took them to get straightend mentioned that they were made with soft material. So ya the quality is inferior, but they are rated okay.

I thought only Dexter made a 4400 pound axle.

They may but so does Lippert

Randu

South Central Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lipert bought out Dexter not too long back so the future is all Lipert axles. Randu

2014 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
LB,4x4,Duramax
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Randu wrote:

Lipert bought out Dexter not too long back so the future is all Lipert axles. Randu

So wrong.

Lippert purchased only the Chassis Division of Dexter. Dexter Axle is alive and well.

Lippert does not build the axles with their name -they are built by Axletek under contract.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Randu wrote:

They bought out Dexter Chassis, not Dexter Axle. Two different companies.

up2nogood

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

Are you asking because of a bent axle you own, I did notice in one of your post that there were pictures of an axle being jacked up on the axle tube, I am assuming that was yours. I would probably find a better place to jack then that.

Randu

South Central Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

Randu wrote:

They bought out Dexter Chassis, not Dexter Axle. Two different companies.

Thanks for educating me, I thought it was all one company due to what I was told by my brother in law that works at a RV dealer. (He must have been hanging around some of the salesman) Randu

chipper

Nampa,Id

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does everyone realize that the axle weight rating system is running on an honor system & no one is checking to see if they are all honest.

gene

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bent axle tube
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS