|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> king controll jack antenna

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
sidewayzz

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is everyones experience with these antennas.Was thinking of buying one but wanted to see if there was anyone using one. Thanks, Steve

2010 rockwood windjammer
2001 dodge quad cab 4x4
wife and three kids

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my FunFinder, I tried the Winegard Wingman since I already had a Sensar antenna...I figured it was a "cheap" try and easy to install. It helped, but, I found that the aiming had to be much more accurate to see any improvement. As expected with that type of device, the angle of acceptance, in order to provide the improvement, was much narrower. Took a bit more diligence in getting on the signal and off angle stations suffered.

I then bought the Jack antenna. Great antenna. Wide angle of acceptance, smaller footprint for less wind movement and it, as a side benefit, made the antenna easier to turn. I also bought their SureLock signal meter. A great addition and both the antenna head and the SureLock were a piece of cake to install.

When I bought my new 5ver, the first "mod" I made to it was the removal of the Sensar antenna to be replaced by a Jack Off Air head. I haven't decided on the addition of the SureLock yet... The jack where I would have to install it, in the bedroom, is not easily "in line of sight" from where the antenna rotation control is (out in the hallway near the stairs). I like the Winegard's SensarPro signal meter's "sound" feature, but, I would have to figure out how to install that one...the existing amplifier power unit is behind the bedroom's television in an awkward position. It can be done, but, will require significant work to make it look good if I want to move it out where I can see it easily. The Jack unit would be easier to install (just need an extension antenna cable and an "T", but, doesn't have the sound and I'd have to crane my neck to see the LEDs.

As for the Jack Antenna; I love mine. I recommend the replacement head unit as opposed to the shorter pedestal mounted version. The pedestal unit, while nice in that you don't have to crank up the antenna, is short enough that it sits down in the "signal clutter" of the A/C and vent covers mounted on the roof. A friend has the pedestal version and it doesn't do near as well as my elevated Jack when situated side-by-side in the same campground. Just like in the "old days", a higher mounted antenna, on a home, will "gather" more clear signal.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

sidewayzz

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the winggaurd last yr and it just didnt do much for us. I saw them for about 45 bucks. Think I will buy one. thanks

martipr

Haltom City, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't speak on the quality of the antenna, but I can sure speak on the TERRIBLE customer service of King Controls. I purchased a Dish Tailgater which brand new, right out of the box, doesn't work. I contacted King Controls who acted like I was lying and it absolutely could not be defective. After about a hour and a half troubleshooting they finally agreed to let me return it so they can see if it is defective and in a month or so I will get it or a new one back. I would think there would be immediate turn around service on a new unit but King Controls acts like I am a pain in the ### because I I expect something that works for my money. I assure you I will never again buy anything from them.

Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 V8 3.92 Rear End
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

We Cant Wait

Jamestown NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was at a campground last year and couldn't really pull in station with our factory Winguard antenna, so I changed to the King Control Jack antenna I had on hand from a previous campers. The Jack antenna was 100% better.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> king controll jack antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS