RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: using biodiesel to increase lubrication

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> using biodiesel to increase lubrication

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
n4hwl

Murfreesboro,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading to find which additives for diesel fuel are best to increase lubrication of pumps ect. I found this study http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

and it seems that best thing to use to increase lubrication is biodiesel. In this study very little 100% biodiesel was added to regular diesel and it provided better lubrication than all the other additives tested. I do understand that biodiesel will definitely clean out the inside of the tank and fuel lines and stop up the fuel filter in short order. I would assume that after a few tanks full and probably several filters this problem would get better over time. Am I right? Has anyone any experience with biodiesel in their motorhome after running regular diesel for a long time. My motorhome has 50K miles on it. I have lost 2 injectors in the last 20K miles and was thinking about adding some sort of additive to the fuel to insure lubrication. If I used biodiesel I would probably start by adding a few gallons per tankful. Biodiesel is not that easy to find in my neck of the woods. I have not made up my mind yet on what to use but do know that the 15 ppm diesel we get now may or may not have enough lubricating properties. This all depending on the manufacturer putting enough lubricating additive in to replace the lubricating properties that were removed when the sulfur was taken out. Any constructive suggestions would be helpful..

Thanks
Ken

2004 QDH 40ft Phaeton, Blue Ox Tru-Center
Ham Call N4HWL, TS performance mp-8

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never heard of anyone with the electronic Fuel injection(what u have) cummins having any problems with ULS diesel fuel?
The last thing iam going to be doing is expermenting with bio diesels in my 425HP ISL that i can tell U.It runs perfect on the ULS pump fuel.Just keep the filters in good shape

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bio-lube-additive posts

FormerBoater

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opti-Lube Summer Blend was one of the top performers in this study and it is inexpensive and easy to buy (sell direct on the web).

I have been using it for 3 years in my engine which was designed to run on Low Sulfur Diesel and have had no lift pump or other issues.

7 ounces per 150 gallon tank gives you the optimum performance so it is easy to add a sufficient amount when needed.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bio diesel did come in first but I haven't found anywhere around here to get it. I think it was soy based also. I use OptiLube XPD at the minimum rate and as far as I know it works. There's really no way for me to know if it's doing what it's supposed to until something breaks (or it doesn't). Even if it's just a false sense of security, I'll continue to use it.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excessive levels of bio can have negative affects on your high pressure pump.
It's not likely that lack of lubrication is what damaged your injectors but instead, it's dirty fuel. The stock filters do not filter down to the level recommended by most FI companies (like Bosch). You would be better served by adding a 2 micron filter.
Also, do you know what kind of failure they had? If it was electrical and a code showed up then it had nothing to do with fuel at all.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Excessive levels of bio can have negative affects on your high pressure pump.
It's not likely that lack of lubrication is what damaged your injectors but instead, it's dirty fuel. The stock filters do not filter down to the level recommended by most FI companies (like Bosch). You would be better served by adding a 2 micron filter.
Also, do you know what kind of failure they had? If it was electrical and a code showed up then it had nothing to do with fuel at all.
I agree and I'm a big believer with the filters. I don't know anything about lubricating fuel pumps and, I drove diesels for 42 years and over 4 million millions and never lubricated one pump. How things have changed in the 2 years, since I retired!

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel fuel is oil! Why would it need added "lubricators" mixed in?Also, trying to mix a vegetable-based liquid into a petroleum-based one might not work. I doubt it would dissolve.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen Anacortes, WA, now retired RVers

Used to have an '02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10, Sold 08 Dec 14
Dogs - 2 older Labs, both yellow males, both adopted.

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best check with the engine folks and find out it it rated for bio, and if so, what percentage. That age it might not be or limited to 5%.

Dick

2002 43" DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

FormerBoater

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankdamp wrote:

Diesel fuel is oil! Why would it need added "lubricators" mixed in?Also, trying to mix a vegetable-based liquid into a petroleum-based one might not work. I doubt it would dissolve.

Old Low Sulfur Diesel was 500 ppm Sulfur max, today's ULSD is 15ppm Sulfur max. Sulfur provided much of the lubricating qualities of diesel fuel.

ULSD is a much "drier" fuel and has caused problems in older diesel fuel delivery systems. The primary failure point has been the lift pumps which need the lubrication from the fuel...the owner/operator does not lubricate anything as the fuel takes care of this.

The study referenced in this thread gives the results of an independent study and it is an interesting read.

Lift pumps are expensive!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> using biodiesel to increase lubrication
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS