|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rear vision cam for hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
etruitt

Sanford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitching up the TT is the biggest stress inducer we have when traveling cross country. Before divorce we decided to get a good back-up or rear vision camera that will show the hitch well. Any suggestions? Have tried mirrors, balls, etc. still annoying signs and stuff i.e. this way, that way, almost, WHOA!! Please help!!!

09 Holiday Rambler Neptune DP 35' 340HP Cummins 6 spd Allison Tranny
04 Dodge CTD LB 4WD, 6 sp,QC. 08 SunLite Eagle WS Popup TC.
Just me and DW on the road every chance we get!

etruitt

Sanford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention we also have a Hideout Mdl 19FL that we will use for this purpose more than the TC.

needtono

Plymouth,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get one at any big box or auto store. Usually sell for around $100. Make sure you get a wireless for ease of installation. Two wires to backup light and two wires +&- to hot wire under dash. It only comes on when you put it in reverse. Best investment I every made and you'll be hooked up before you know it after you practice for a few times. My new truck came with one installed as do most of the newer vehicles (for safety reasons).

chi6488

florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is that bad then spend the 1k price for a good camera. I recently installed a double din gps/dvd unit where factory stereo was. The camera is super clear. Make sure you buy a decent camera and not wireless

Previously I had the vr3 and that was hit or miss with the picture. Then after a year the camera got moisture in it so I would pray every time I used it hoping it was not fogged up. The wireless units are affected by radio and cell phone signals as well. Shut them off when using wireless.

2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS
2008 F250 King Ranch 4wd
2005 GLacier Bay 2670 Cat

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, The only thing I want to add is that most people are overly concerned about getting backed up into exactly the right spot. If your only a half inch off your close enough that as you lower the travel trailer it will move over and center itself. That's why it's a round ball. Actually, if your half a ball off your close enough. Start jacking down th trailer until you get a little weight on the ball and then just give the trailer hitch a push the right direction. It will drop down on the ball with a thunk. Some hitches are better at this then others.

dtzackus

Cumbola, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the two tennis balls hitch helper at Harbor Freight. Both tennis balls have a telescoping wand that connects to a magnetic, one connects to the ball on the hitch and the other to the top of the camper's ball mount. Once the balls "kiss" you are good to go. It was pretty cheap at 7.99.

Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2012 Conquest 297DBS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Swift Hitch wireless back up camera, it has a magnetic base you can stick it on your tail gate and point it at the hitch and it works well, it is also color. I am satisfied with mine.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the offerings here Rear View Safety Systems. I have a two camera system. One camera is attached to the license plate frame and shows the hitch when I am towing a standard trailer. The other camera is attached to the rear of the fifth-wheel travel trailer so I can see when I back up and look at traffic to my rear when on the road. The first camera also gives me a great view of all four trailer tires when underway.

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

cyberiankhatru

Youngsville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went a little crazy. I bought a 7" Pyle LCD off EBay along with a couple of CMOS license plate cameras. CMOS cams suck wind. I replaced them with a newer tech called a CMD.
One is on the TV, the other on the camper. With the two inputs on the Pyle, I can switch between the TV cam and the TT cam. Wiring was a little dicey but not really a problem. I ran rg-6 coax under the TT and tied into the parking lights for power since I always have my lights on. Its nice being able to see behind me all the time. With my kids high back booster seat, it's tough to see out the rear view mirror. I'd be glad to supply more info if anyone is interested.

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not going to brag...the other day I backed up to the TT, made one adjustment and drop the TT hitch onto the ball. I had the tennis balls as a backup though...it might have been luck. Will know next time I make the hookup.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rear vision cam for hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS