|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rear vision cam for hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
micpib1

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone use the mirror type of screen for their backup camera and are you happy with it? JH

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use wireless if it is just for Hitching but I would use wired for viewing from back of the trailer. Seems it too far of a distance for most wireless systems to give a solid, interference free picture unless you spend big bucks.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

tspecs

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

micpib1 wrote:

Does anyone use the mirror type of screen for their backup camera and are you happy with it? JH

I use the mirror on a telescoping pole/magnetic base (from CW) and it is great. The only thing is, I put a white plastic cup on the aframe over the latch, and a white cupcale shell over the ball, which makes for good visibility through the dark tint rear window of my Avalanche. Just back up, align as you go, and when the cupcake cover disappears, voila!

20 bux and done!

tspecs

BigSur2

Hampton, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went the full blown route and installed a new Kenwood DPX 6980 head unit in my truck and wired a Boyo license plate mounted rearview camera. It works GREAT!!!! Not only can I back up to my trailer wiht east, I also now have in-dash Garmin GPS, bluetooth for my cell, can play DVD's, full IPod control, etc. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.

BigSur2
2012 Keystone Bullet 286QBS
2006 Ford F150 5.4 V8

the_happiestcamper

Mount Pleasant, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the iBall - it works great for me, but everybody in another thread slammed it.

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

gtkato

Aurora, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I first tried the I-Ball portable, but did not like the viewfinder and the 12V connector was too flimsy. I then went with the 'Swift Hitch II' which is rechargeble and battery life is over 7 hours. Works great and in color. I can use it to hook up the TT, and then place it on the rear of the trailer for a rear view camera setup. I mount the viewfinder in a hands free cell-phone windshield holder. The picture quality is great (but the viewfinder is small but does the job). The camera is waterproof, wide angle and has night vision.

FlyFishn
2014 Lance 1985 with 4 Season Cert, 160w Solar, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2011 Ram "Outdoorsman" Hemi with max Tow Package, Timbren

youth4him

Belgrade, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2.5" screen before, and it was adequate, but just barely. Just put in a new kenwood head unit with a rear factory-like camera, and what a difference on the 7" screen. I also added a connection for the back of the trailer for another camera. best of both worlds.

Of course, that's a $1000 solution, rather than a $99 one.

KD

Trip of a Lifetime Blog - 12000 Miles, 100 Days, 34 States, 4 Humans, 1 Mini Daschund...FUN!
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - 6.2L, 6-speed

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2010 F150 Truck with towing package came with one. The camera is mounted just below the tailgate release handle.

It does a bang-up job showing behind the truck and down to the hitch ball area. I can see the truck ball go under the the trailer hitch when backing up. Sure is a nice thing to have. The only problem I have is backing out of parking places without my trailer hooked up. Almost any lights at nite makes the screen flare up. The infared feature turns everything RED at night so sometimes it is is not very useful due to this. Mine factory unit has calibrated feet markers on it and when you get within three feet of something behind you the alarm start beeping. It gets to a steady tone when within a foot from the rear of the truck. Thank goodness Ford has a quick method to turn off the backing up alarm.

I can hit my mark everytime now hooking to the trailer. First time...

I also see some recent post on here that some guys are adding a second rear camera to their factory install so they can see behind their hooked-up trailers when the need arises.

In my early days of wishing for things for the trailers, I wanted to install a high mounted camera on the back of the trailer and two side mount cameras on each side. The high mounted camera would not be affected by lights from vehicles coming up on you. The two side mounted cameras would give you an excellant view of what is beside you. Some installation has a microphone installed with the camera so you can hear that guy behind you honking his horn to make you pull over and get out of his way I guess...

You can search on ebay for "RV REAR CAMERAS" and take note those rear camera posts that are outlined in YELLOW. Read up on the various installation articles associated with these cameras. Lots of good info including a bunch of pictures on what to look for. All of these system deals are around $200 to $400 depending what options you are looking for. These are also used by the trucking insdustry...

If I was going to install cameras on the rear of my trailers I would definately get the MIL-SPEC type truck-trailer connector that is water-tight sealed 'CANNON" type quick disconnect connector. Both ends of this type of connector have the RCA plugs with long cables that connects the rear cameras and front mounted LCD monitor system. Nice tight weatherproof solid installation. Dont just go to Walmart and get the long male/female RCA plug cables. Their connections will get "green" on you pretty quick being outside in the elements and probably wont last for more than three or four hookups. The RCA plugs are only good for indoor installations.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

youth4him

Belgrade, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice. The rear camera I have on the back of the trailer is a $20 one from ebay, and I ran a coax line all the way back, and added a coax connection on my yukon. I also ran a 12v line all the way back so I could add a switch on the front of the trailer. it works very well, and with a 32' trailer, definitely make it easy to change lanes.

FWIW, I just used standard coax to rca connectors that are very sealed with electrical tape. after the first 5 years in use, still fine. They are connected in use, and I stuff the cable under the propane cover when it's parked. No issues at all yet, either here in FL, or up in MT at home. I use a little connector cover for the coax connection, and it's all good.

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 for the Swift Hitch

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers