RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: The Georgetown has landed..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> The Georgetown has landed..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

..As I have mentioned in several posts over last few months, we've been planning, researching, negotiating, etc. on a new Class A purchase/trade up from the truck and RV trailer we've had for last 8 years. Well, yesterday, everything finally came together, we signed the papers and brought home our new Georgetown 351DS bunk model. Its sitting in the driveway now, ready to get loaded up, set up, etc. to hit the road very soon.

We are sooo excited, happy, nervous, and overwhelmed all at the same time, I don't even know where to begin. First off, I'd like to say thanks for all the responses, advice, etc. I've received when asking various questions on here. This forum rules.

Second, I must say, I now understand why you guys all like your Class A MHs so much. Love having everything we need all in one vehicle now, and being completely self contained in one vehicle. The Georgetown rides like a dream, we absolutely love it (and yes, this is a gasser, not a DP!). Definitely takes some getting used to, but it seemed like after the first half hour or so on the way home, we were already very comfortable with it. Was also VERY easy to back into our driveway using the rearview cameras and mirrors, much easier than the TT was!

When we got home, kids came running out to see it. The looks on their faces, how excited and happy they were, and wanting to hit the road as soon as possible....Welll, made all the challenges this has been, well worth it. Cannot wait to load this thing up, and hit the road here in a few weeks.

Now, some other overall points, lessons learned, etc:

- LOVE having rearview camera, as well as sideview cameras. Makes me feel much more confident knowing whats all around me on the highway, much more so than I ever had towing the 34' RV trailer.

- That huge windshield in front is awesome, and makes it really fun to drive! Only problem: It sure attracts a lot of bugs! Just the 2 hour drive home from the dealership, and it was ready for a cleaning. I'm gonna have to get a squeegy on a long pole, and plan to clean that windshield a lot! (Any suggestions on that, what to get to make cleaning that big windshield easier?)

- I've seen many times on here where people get home with a new MH, find things wrong that were missed in PDI, and get 'blasted' on here for not doing a thorough enough PDI. I must say, after seeing personally how many zillions of systems these things have that you need to check out, plus the incredible emotional 'high' you are on when buying these rigs...I can definitely see where stuff gets missed and overlooked, even by a seasoned veteran of RVing. Lets go easy on people in that regard, huh?

- This Ford F53 chassis and drivetrain rocks! Rides/handles like a dream, was/is a nice improvement over the truck (Ford Excursion) we had. The Excursion has/had a V10, so we are very familar with that engine, and are glad to own another, newer one. Have to say, this F53 V10 has noticeably more 'throat' (power) at highway speeds than we are used to. The newer 3V heads and intake manifold Ford added to the V10 in 2005 no doubt is why. Not much louder, either, really. I like having the engine up front, where I can hear it 'purr'.

- Only bad thing: Unit does NOT have a tank rinser on black tank. Asked dealer to go ahead and put one on, which they had agreed to do as part of the deal. However, due to placement of tank, they determined it just is not possible to install one. Waaaah! Gonna have to change our approach to black tank draining/cleanout.

- Kudos to the RV dealer we went with, John's RV in Lexington, SC. These guys are top notch, I highly recommend them to anyone in the area. Every little thing many RV dealers are notorious for (and frequently get blasted for on here), they never did ANY of those things with us. Great people to work with from the time we first walked into the door until the day we drove home with the new unit yesterday. Their PDI was sooo thorough...I found everything working exactly as it should, and NOTHING needing any further attention. GREAT folks to do business with.

Anyway, I know everyone will want to see pictures. I took several with my phone yesterday evening and this morning, but have not yet uploaded them to where I can link to them from here. I will be taking some (better) ones with the digitail camera, and will hopefully get them posted to this thread later this week.

Now, the fun begins of loading all our stuff from the TT into the MH, finding places for all of it, etc. And, oh yeah, guess I need to update the signature on here.

Thanks again to all that helped us along the way with this.

* This post was last edited 03/08/12 02:07pm by willald *   View edit history

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

polly sue

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great points!!! And congratulations!! Enjoy your new world of "camping!"
Polly

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats! Have fun!

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

dreamer

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats! Good luck!

dreamer.

'00 HR Endeavor - 330 Cat
'02 Tracker - Blue Ox

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats from me also! Will, I liked your old tow set up very nice!

tyoungs

Brighton, Michigan USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dryer sheets to get bugs off windshield - Bounce or even the cheap versions - wet the windshield and scrub once with brush.
Wet the dryer sheet and scrub the bugs - they will come right off - then brush and rinse.

Tom & Mary plus Snowflake the Bichon
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT,
425 Cummins w/ Horton Fan
HRRVC #106803, FMCA #F358972
2009 Saturn Outlook toad
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J-Rooster wrote:

Congrats from me also! Will, I liked your old tow set up very nice!

Thanks, J-Rooster, we had many great years and memories with the Citation and Excursion. It took us literally years of debating, contemplating, researching, etc. before we moved up. Definitely glad we went this route, but at same time, there's definitely some things we'll miss about the old rig.

Will

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tyoungs wrote:

Dryer sheets to get bugs off windshield - Bounce or even the cheap versions - wet the windshield and scrub once with brush.
Wet the dryer sheet and scrub the bugs - they will come right off - then brush and rinse.

Thanks.

Hehe, man, I was hoping to make it as simple and easy as a bucket and squeegy like they have at gas stations, with a handle long enough to reach the windshield. That way I could bring the stuff with us in the MH to do it basically anywhere, without a CG thinking we're washing the whole coach (don't some CGs outlaw that?)

On Edit: THIS is kinda what I had in mind, may have to order one of these..

Will

* This post was edited 03/08/12 02:13pm by willald *

wnytaxman

Western NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will, congrats on the new rig and welcome to the Forest River family.

Another hint about getting bugs off. Get a small ladder or folding stool to reach higher up on the windshield. Yes you can get them with a pole but having windshield bug juice running down your arm is not one of life's more pleasent experiences. Also, it is easier to put pressure on the hard to get off bugs when you are up to their level.

We also have a bunk house and it is the best way to travel with kids.

2011 Berkshire 390bh

GabJam

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats & best of luck with it to you & your family. I am so excited for you, I remember when we went from our Excursion & 35’TT to a MH in 2008, We love the MH over our TT. You are going to love it. Don’t forget to update your “Our Rig” photo.

11' Monaco Monarch 34SBD

Dan, Donna, Gabrielle (13), & Jameson (11)

Listen to Country Music on-line or on your Smart Phone @ US66Radio.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> The Georgetown has landed..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS