|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> low engine power message

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Mr and Mrs G

snohomish wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 fleetwood southwind. It has a 8.2 Chevy vortex engine. I went to start it the other day and the battery was dead. I used the house batteries to help start the m/h. It started but also had a low engine power message on the dash. when I pressed on the accelerator there was no reaction. I let the engine run for awhile and the engine finally responded to the accelerator. There is a engine light that stays on now. Any ideas what this might be?

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i had the same thing happen and after the alternator brought the battery back up to full charge, the throttle responded and the message went away. You know that your throttle is "Throttle by wire" which means it needs voltage to respond. There is no cable or other connection from the throttle pedal to the fuel injectors, just an electronic connection that needs a full charged battery to perform properly. So the solution is don't let the battery go dead.

The check engine light is what is probably still on in your MH and it probably has OBD II code "P1516= Throttle Actuator Control Module- throttle actuator position performance" stored in it's memory.
You need a OBDII scanner to check that code and then reset the OBD code and the light will go off.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

vtbig

VT, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can purchase a Scan Gauge, monitor a bunch of stuff while going down the road and also read and reset any error codes.

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get a new chassis battery asap! Shouldnt be more than $100 for an 84 month battery.

J Walker

Oakton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As soon as a fault stops the dash light usually goes off. The code is still stored in the ECM. There may be a coincidental fault you need to check out. Of course charging your dead battery with your alternator could affect the alternator. If your battery took a charge you could remove a cable from one terminal and to let the ECM reset. That might remove the dash light. But as other have written, there is no substitute for a code reader.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> low engine power message
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS