|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2011 - 12 Cameo Prices

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
onekg

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been trying to buy a new Carriage and the prices I have been getting are anything but friendly. It seem as if the dealers don't know they have orphans and don't won't to deal. Of course I have a trade so that muddies up the waters quite a bit. I have been trying to get 30 to 35% off of MSRP and a decent trade but this has been inpossible. What would it take for you to buy a new Carriage? How much off of MSRP?

2011 Ford F-350 DRW KR
05 Aplenlite 32 Augusta

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I'd sell the unit you own first to clear up that issue and it's affect on getting the best deal.

As far as price, I would expect 35-40% off the dealer list. There is nothing wrong with Carriage even though they are gone. I would expect a dealer to include a 3rd party warranty, too.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

jimandsue60

Sanibel Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to get at least 30% off of the "New" orphan you are trying to buy as long as you discount the current "Orphan" you own appropriately that you are trying to trade in.

Jim

2011 Mobile Suites 38 REPS, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually. Click here to see our adventures
Our Photos

luvglass

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they were still in business, a 25% discount from list was considered a good deal in my experience. Out of business, no warranty and a year old unit, maybe 30 - 35% ?

From the prices I'm seeing on used units, no one seems to be giving them away. Really, the only thing that's different is lack of warranty and more aggravation getting some spare parts. Still a great rig.

Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

onekg wrote:

I have been trying to buy a new Carriage and the prices I have been getting are anything but friendly. It seem as if the dealers don't know they have orphans and don't won't to deal. Of course I have a trade so that muddies up the waters quite a bit. I have been trying to get 30 to 35% off of MSRP and a decent trade but this has been inpossible. What would it take for you to buy a new Carriage? How much off of MSRP?

These are only recently orphaned and were desirable units in their price range. Supply and demand still rules the market place.

On top of that -Puget Sound Area RV pricing is very high in general with Dealer that think a 10% discount from inflated MSRP is "blowout" deal.

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you need to look at is "out of pocket cost". The price of the unit...minus the trade in price. The new unit price might be high. But they should make the trade in allowance enough to offset the difference to make it good for you.

Of course, when you consider an Orphan company, I would take off another 10% to 15%. More toward the higher amount. Then see where the come in. And see if you agree with that. If not, find another trailer to fall in love with. They're out there.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL you Giggle and Poop.

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everytime I buy a new unit they go under. The last was Fleetwood. I would not pay much for a Fleetwood orphaned or not. Now we have the 2011 Cameo, and this is a different deal. It's still a high quality unit that will last for years. Even if there is not warranty I wouldn't worry about being out too much money. I think we have been out about 400.00. Large RH slide needed adjustments, as water blow in while traveling in rain. I would still buy Carriage if I needed to buy. I talked to the national club leader, and I guess Thor bought out the names, and will probably still produce the Carriage product. Really don't know detail, but maybe we will still have a form of Carriage.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

onekg

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is not much quality left in the RV world unless you want to spend up to 100k. My Alpenlite has been flawless and I may keep it if I can't negotiate a deal. I am not afraid of buying a orphan at all if the price is right. I lost my structure warranty when Alpenlite went down but they would't have had a 5 year structure warranty if they did't know how to build a good product. I believe Carriage is that quality. I'll just keep shopping, someone will want to get the last one off of their lot.

newk

Gillette, WY

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the Carriage line and had planned to buy one when we were able to retire, but if you can't get at least 35% off the msrp, I'd look elsewhere. As I recall, the only dealer I ever talked to about buying one (local dealer a few years ago) was offering about 35% off as a starting point. That included a factory warranty. The price should be less now, not more.

I agree that you should try to sell the one you have first, if possible. If not, don't figure it at retail price.

2008Wildcat

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just how much mark up do you think is in an RV?

The selling dealer still paid for it, and freight, so won't sell at a loss just to move a unit.

People will buy a Carriage at 35% off because they know the quality. If you followed the auction at Carriage last month, the completed units on the lot there sold for 50% of list, and that was an auction.... dealers got hung out when Carriage went under, and they will make some money on the trailers they have in stock.

2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2011 - 12 Cameo Prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS