RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV for family of 4, new to RVing, THOR ACE?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV for family of 4, new to RVing, THOR ACE?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
mm2b

pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently a family of 3 (a 17 month old dtr, 1 on the way in november). We are thinking about the THOR ACE RV. I am wondering if an RV with bunk beds would be better for us to grow into as a family or if anyone has any experience with the ACE. We are planning on doing local camping/rv'ing plus long trips to see the US. Any insight would be appreciated.

BTW, are we crazy to start RV'ing with one on the way??!!

HHfundays

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a winnebago, so I can't comment on Thor Ace. One of our biggest things with getting an rv was that we did not want to have to make beds up each day. We opted for the overhead bunk on the C. Our daughter was 7 at the time and we knew friends would be coming along with us. We really wanted some space between the kids and us for privacy(not like you get much in an rv, but the rear bedroom gives us our own space). We build a railing on the overhead bunk because I didn't want her or one of her friends rolling out.

The best suggestion I can give you is to think about nit only the present but the future in planning your rv setup. Maybe the sofa would work well for a bed for the 17 month old and the baby in a crib. If you plan to have your rv for many years it may be worth a little inconvenience now to get what you will want when the kids are older. That being said, you could always trade out rv in the future.

And no your not crazy for rving with kids. We love the family time it brings. We both feel it has made our family closer. Happy trails!

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Rving is a fantastic thing for families.

The A.C.E. looks like an interesting concept.

An RV is a big investment. I suggest you look around on the forum, including the archives, and make some basic decisions. There are a lot of and there are pros and cons to each:

Towable vs. Powered (Class A and C)
Gas vs. Diesel
Bunkhouse or no
Toy Hauler or no

Remember, your babies won't be babies for long. They will need more space as they get bigger. Then they will get so big they don't want to go camping with Mom and Dad. But enjoy them while you have the opportunity.

Richard

2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We chose our C based on the sleeping arrangements.

We have twin beds in the back bedroom. The kids sleep in them. The adults sleep on the over cab. This is the longest bed and gives lots of leg room.

We do not have to make up beds every day.

We can close the door on the bedroom and have the rest of Mobi to enjoy once the kids go to bed.

Whatever you buy, make sure the car seats properly fit. And remember that the kids will grow and grow quickly. We bought 5 years ago and the 15 year old is too tall for his bed.

vermont_blue

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 11:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a family of five. A teenager and two little ones. The teen sleeps on the single top bunk the toddler sleeps on the lower full size bunk and the baby sleeps on the sofa bed. We got a big trailer because my wife didn't want to have to get the kids up to make beds into tables before making breakfast. We love our trailer and are so glad we bought our "second" trailer first. Check it out North Trail 28BRS. I recommend it.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=lightweight&sc=NTTT&i=NT+28BRS&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A coworker bought the ACE last year, had it for a few months and then traded it in on something bigger. He bought it in theory of taking his 4 grandkids with them. My wife and I actually looked at the same one right before he bought his and we almost pulled the trigger on it after wards, but are glad we didn't. We just don't think it was big enough for us (wife, I and young daughter). It is a neat concept and at around $80-90K is a fair price. But for a little more, you can get a lot more. He got the Itasca Sunstar 35F (6 ft longer than the ACE). It offers a lot more room inside and the MSRP is not much more. They are much happier now.

* This post was edited 03/09/12 06:00am by wbwood *

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

autorot8

N. CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on what type of camping you will be doing, it might work. In looking at the specs, I think the grey and black tanks are a little small, unless you have sewer hook-UPS each time. Also, we prefer bunks and our children have been camping since 1 month old.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.4l Hemi to pull my Prime Time Lacrosse 296BHS
"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The whole thing is small. The neat part of it is the extra bed that comes from the ceiling. But to be honest, I can see it as something could possibly brake at some time. The bedroom at the back is small and tight. You can not hang something in the wardrobe without it dragging. Just like in out TT. That was one thing I wanted different. The kitchen is also tight and there is only one sink. Where as most have a double sink, which is better for washing dishes. The dinette seemed cramped to me as well. While it offers a good bit of cargo space underneath, there really isn't a lot inside. One thing to think about is the clothing for your 2 kids. Where will you store it. If memory serves me, there really wasn't anything. I think even a class C would be bettter than that. Seriously look at other Class A's, tthere are some that are just a little bit more. Heck for the price of the ACE, you could get a nice new F350 and 5th wheel and have lots more space.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mm2b wrote:

We are currently a family of 3 (a 17 month old dtr, 1 on the way in november). We are thinking about the THOR ACE RV. I am wondering if an RV with bunk beds would be better for us to grow into as a family or if anyone has any experience with the ACE. We are planning on doing local camping/rv'ing plus long trips to see the US. Any insight would be appreciated.

BTW, are we crazy to start RV'ing with one on the way??!!

Don't know about the ACE but the bunkhouse trailers are great for kids.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were buying another RV, and if there were 4 of us, I would get one of thoes new RV's with two bathrooms. That, to me, would be pure luxory.

I would never buy a brand new rig. Lots of folks do and put 10000 miles on them and then descide they don't like the lifestyle. Our friends just purchased a nearly new Class A and it looked and smelled brand new and they got a real deal.

Depending on the kind of camping your planning to do makes a difference also, especially on the size of your fresh water tanks. If you dream of camping dry, you might want to invest in some solar panels, and you want as big fresh water etc. On the other hand, if you dream of RV resort type places that won't be an issue. If you want to explore over the mountain, you don't want a 45 footer.

Some RV's come with washer dryers and with a new baby that might not be a bad idea. They are small and don't hold much, but it might be something to consider.

Enjoy

We had a Cla

Our Road Less Traveled

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV for family of 4, new to RVing, THOR ACE?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS