RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV for family of 4, new to RVing, THOR ACE?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV for family of 4, new to RVing, THOR ACE?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
zack0109

Newport dunes

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV'ing is very good for a family camping. U can go anwhere u want and it allows u to take a large amount of things outdoors.
Have fun and enjoy the RV'ing.

Into the wild.Pop Up CanopyPop Up Canopy

CaptJeff1731

Texas Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

has Thor made improvements on quality?

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 03:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tjholyoke wrote:

We just got an ACE 29.1 and love it! PM for any questions you may have. I would have no trouble using it with a family of 4. We had a C when he had our kids along, but this floorplan would have been SO much nicer. There is much more room with the slideout, and the kitchen isn't in the hallway so you don't have to do the dance around the chef to get to the bathroom. Happy searching!

How does the single sink work out for you and washing dishes? We found the kitchen area a little tight in the 29.1 also. I did think the dog dish under the shower was neat, but only for a smaller dog...lol

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2014 Ford Focus(Toad)

tjholyoke

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

tjholyoke wrote:

We just got an ACE 29.1 and love it! PM for any questions you may have. I would have no trouble using it with a family of 4. We had a C when he had our kids along, but this floorplan would have been SO much nicer. There is much more room with the slideout, and the kitchen isn't in the hallway so you don't have to do the dance around the chef to get to the bathroom. Happy searching!

How does the single sink work out for you and washing dishes? We found the kitchen area a little tight in the 29.1 also. I did think the dog dish under the shower was neat, but only for a smaller dog...lol

If only a few dishes it works fine as is. I can wash/rinse right there. I also keep a plastic dishpan under the cupboard, and find if I fill that with the soapy water and place it on the counter, then I can rinse in the sink if I have more to do or large items. Everything is easier than tenting days boiling water on the Coleman stove! LOL I think I don't mind the kitchen setup because I had a rear kitchen in a 24 foot prior to this one. I found I was always almost falling down the steps in that one while at the sink, and the only counter space I had was the sink covers or the stove cover. So it was always a challenge to cook/clean/prep. I rarely used the second of the double sink as a sink. Usually kept a cover on it to hold the dirty dishes! The Thor seems to me to have TONS more counter space than that!

EricGT

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like these!
Definitely more room and a nicer layout than my 24 footer.
I've always liked the way Class A's are laid out in the cabin section with swivel seats.
Maybe in a few years when the Ace is a bit older I may need to look into a nice used unit.

2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

4gone

Mass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Damon (Thor)Daybreak. It was at the time their entry level model. The quality is decent and we have had no coach related issues thus far. We did get the bunkhouse model. Our kids are 5 and 8. I really appreciate not having to undo a dinette or sofa every morning. Our bed is in the very back and the bunks are across the hall from the bathroom. We have had this floorplan for 5 years now and are very satisfied with it.

It's nice to have that space for the kids to nap of just chill out and play with their Nintendo's for a while and it is their personal space. Some models even have individual tv's and dvd players in the bunks (our doesn't) again, on a rainy afternoon it is a good place for them the hang out rather than antagonize each other.

2007 Damon Daybreak 3276
2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Even Brake
Firestone air bags
Blue Ox Alladin tow bar
Hankook Tires

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We didn't have any issues with the quality of the Thor's at all. Matter of fact, we were at the dealership early last year and was shown the ACE 29.1 (full body paint), but they wanted over $100k for it at the time. They had a white one that in the $80k price range, but it was being sent to another dealership. Not two weeks later, a coworker was at the dealership and ended up buying the full body paint one. He got it for the price of the white one because of an error they had in the paper with it. Well July 4th weekend, we were on our way back from TN and stopped by the dealership to look at soem Class C's. I saw my coworker there and I joked about htem trading it in already and they were. They traded it in after a few months for an Itasa Sunstar 35F. They said the ACE was nice, but just too small for them and taking their 4 grandkids. A month or so later, we went to a show where the dealership was at. We were going to look at the Class C's again. They had 4 more ACE's there to sell. I joked about getting the used one my coworker had, but at the price he got it at. He told me I could get a brand new one for the same price. We talked and made a deal. On the way home, we were talking about the storage of it again and went by the dealership to look at the used one, to see where we would put things. It was a couple days before we hear anythign back on the financing. They came back and said the bank wanted 10% down (about $8k as were taking a little bit of a hit on trading in our TT). I refused. Told them I game them $5k down the year before on our TT and they could take it off of that. Apparently they didn't need to sell then and we didn't end up buying it. Shortly thereafter we were camping in our TT and my coworker and his and grandkids came to the same place in their new RV. After being in the ACE and our 31' and then his 35', we realized ho cramped it seemed to us in the ACE. My coworker verified wit hus that it was. I think the newness and thought of having a Class A (with full body paint) overburdened our rationality. We don't want to go smaller than where we are at now. A different floor plan would be nice. We have the bunks and we don't really need them with one kid. If she ends up bringing a friend, then it will be nice. We will have the truck, travel trailer and all our other bills paid off in about 3 years. We are discussing getting something else then. We have been thinking a Class A, but I keep thinking about the room in the 5th wheels. Wewill be somewhat limited on the 5th wheels and when the time comes, then we will have to look around and weigh the options.

I didn't think about the single sink in the ACE until after the deal went through. We were washing dishes in the sink in our TT and I was wondering howwe could do it with one sink. I don't like the idea of having to do it in a dishpan. We have the double sink an it works great. Wash in one, rinse in the other. Our TT has some counter space. Not a lot, but some.

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an ACE owner I can tell you a few things. We've had ours a year now and taken several trips. Usually it's just the 3 of us but we have taken extended family on occasion. For starters, you will not find a cheaper, brand new Class A. Period. I know a few folks on here threw out numbers in the 80's but if you pay that you are being taken to the cleaners. You should be getting a brand new 29.1 or 29.2 without paint and jacks in the mid to upper $60's. Paint and Jacks low to mid $70's. That's a comparable price to most class C's. Thor is hands down one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. Their customer support alone wins me back. It will sleep 6-8. The electric bunk is a huge hit for kids. The dinette and sofa are both comfy but a bit short for a normal sized adult but excellent for kids and teens. It rides and handles very nicely. The Lighter weight and V-10 has a lot of power and tows our Jetta without any issues. Fit and finish is not as great on higher end coaches but I would consider A+ based on the price you pay. We have had no outstanding issues and the of the things that did come up Thor has immediately cared for. No carpet in the dinette. Brilliant to anyone with kids. Dishes - We don't do a lot of dishes. Usually it's paper or plastic for us. We just make it work. We love our ACE and would buy another. That said I think some posters are on the mark that you would not want to full time in it. A week and it's pretty comfy, longer than that and you may want a bigger coach. It's touted as a class A and C hybrid but really it's and A at a C price. Did I mention TONS of storage. You can fit 2 kid's bikes in the back compartment along with a ton of other stuff easily. Every nook and cranny of this coach is well thought out and functional. There are cabinets and storage everywhere. Even a small mud room for shoes inside the door. Great for sandy shoes. In summary I would say you get a lot of bang for your buck with this coach. You will not find a cheaper Class A and hard pressed to find a C with all the amenities in the same price. I can't say enough good things about the unit and very few on the con side. There is a reason dealers can't keep them on the lot. Feel free to reach out to me privately if you have questions.

2013 ACE 29.2

lmsteck

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a bunkhouse in our FW. Before the kids were willing to sleep in them they were sleeping on the fold-out couch. It was a pain to inflate the bed every night, especially when we didn't have hook-ups. We'd have to have the generator on to inflate and deflate the bed. Ultimately, I would recommend bunks in whatever RV you decide on and no you're not crazy to start RVing with one on the way. My fondest memories are camping with my family as a child and I hope to give my kids the same fond memories.

sjn7708

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remember bunkbeds have a weight limit of about 100 lbs so kids will outgrow. I think a class c has more sleeping room. I didnt want the bunks because I was afraid my kids would roll out of the top bunk and fall out. same with the cabover area. I like the u dinette because as opposed to a reg dinette, the u dinette will actually sleep an adult when folded down to a bed. the reg dinette and the standard couch will usually only sleep kids or small adults. my wife and daughter sleep in the rear queen bed. my son and i sleep on the dinette or in the cabover. dont beleive what the manufacturer or salesman says about how many people a unit will sleep. get in each sleep area and lay down and see who fits where

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV for family of 4, new to RVing, THOR ACE?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS