|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Diesel truck owners --question for you

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another important point to consider is whether the odometer is giving a correct reading. Something I like to do is check the reading against about 10miles using the highway markers. You just can't get an accurate mpg unless you really know how much fuel you used and how far you really went. I can say with my 05 with 4:10 gears, I get 17 - 18 highway empty, and about 10 pulling 10k.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks everyone!!

when hubby gets home from work I will let him read all this. any bit helps.

a friend told him to register onto the cummins diesel website/chat area. he isn't big on chat/forums so he doesn't think he wants to bother.

appreicate the info. but in the end a big truck is just that. expecting too much is not going to happen

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure hubby do not start buying tuners, mods, "performance" "upgrades", etc. that is touted on the forums.

Most of them are dubious, many of them get a caffeine like boost, only to have a let down somewhere else (like reliability).

Never believe the jokers that claim they can get XXX mileage improvement from a tuner --- there is not that much latitude to do fuel economy improvements without breaking something or making it non-emissions compliant.

Oh... a tuner, tampering with emissions, etc. automatically void whatever warranty you might have.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks just me. I will show him those forums.

I agree NewsW
I am not going to start throwing money out the widow for a promise of high mileage on dumb equipment. I hear you. I truly want to put money on the truck if it does really help the motor and preformance etc.
(and I want to save my money for camping trips )

Dave Wilburn

Ogden UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speed has a big effect on mileage. If the engine is turning more than 2K RPMs going down the road, expect the mileage to suffer. At 60 MPH, you should get a solid 18-19. At 70, expect 15-16. Mileage will start dropping like a stone if you faster than that.
My guess is that the hubby is proud of his truck and isn't driving it economically. Very easy to do, especially if this is his first diesel. The power on tap is very impressive compared to a gasser.

Since you don't know the history of the truck, and your mechanic has put everything back to stock,running a good injector cleaner through it may help. Also hook up the trailer and drag it up some big hills. That, more than anything will help clean the injectors and restore some efficiency.

04.5 Ram 3500, '12 Voltage 3905 Epic, 69 baja bug

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funnycamper;
Tell hubby if he wants to learn what makes the truck run and be happy, he should take up a new hobby and read these Diesel forums, and become active and ask questions. Just remember, there is no DUMB QUESTIONS. These sites have search engines, and if its been asked and answers made it will be brought out.
Here is a couple that are great forums.http://www.cumminsforum.com This forum is free to register. http://www.turbodieselregister.com has a pay to join but you get 4 issue of a great magazine that is done very well. You can look and read with some restrictions. I have been on this one since 01, took the mags since 97.

95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post a photo of the truck... and details...

Mileage, maintenance, mods, etc.

Above 1,500 rpm, the pumping losses in a diesel goes up sharply and it becomes less fuel efficient for many different reasons.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

above 1500. we are about 1800 now.

we only had the truck for about a month now so I don't know all maintenance or if mods. we are learning this truck

thank you all for your help!!!

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not his first diesel. he had a Dodge diesel very long time ago. sold it before we started dating. not sure if he is up to snuff on diesels anymore. I think he knew diesels then forgot alot

yea he mentioned the RPMs. he is under 2000 rpms and said something about the torque too. but sorry I can not converse on it. The dodge place got his rpms under 2000 and it is running at 1800 now. (or something like that)

I am so sorry I can't speak well on this subject. You guys are saying things that trigger for me cause hubby mentioned something about it also.

driving down the road I said something about the motor and he started....and I tune out....but believe me, all you guys write is really good info for me to learn. I am starting to put it all together, just being I don't know diesel motors at all. gas gal here.

I think that is what blows my mind when everyone tells their mpg and it is the same truck more or less and it varies so much. just makes me wonder like why? but learning now that so much can effect that mpg. and small tweaks and things can sure give you more miles

he just got a S&B filter. came in the mail. him and buddy are going to put it on.

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both a 2005 5.9 4X4 and a 2008 all QCs 4X4s autos. Never coulf get what many claimed for milage no matter how I drove it. Tried reeeeaaaaly easy and reeaaaly hard and milage was the same. Fact of life no matter which way I went. Now have a 2011 Duramax crew cab 4X4 and best has been right at 16.7 empty and 11 towing. Don't believe what you read always. Others will have different results.JMHO

charles weidman

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Diesel truck owners --question for you
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS