RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: RV Carport - Purchase?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV Carport - Purchase?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
bccsrc

Molalla, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking it might be time (should have done this about 3 years ago) to purchase some type of RV storage to get it out of the weather.

I'm thinking about going with this one from Home Depot since I can charge it at no interest: Click here to see it.

It shows the dimensions of 14' wide x 38' long x 12' sides. I'm not 100% sure the 12' sides will work for me. I'm wondering if can create some type of foundation under it and anchor it to the ground after that. I would like to be able to have the slides out while it's in the carport.

What do you think?

Brandon

2007 Itasca Sunova 34A, Workhorse Chassis, 3 Slides, Winegard Road Trip - In Motion Satellite

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A, Edge Juice W/ Attitude

2011 Polaris Sportsman Touring 550 EPS, 2005 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen similar structures sitting on concrete foundations. The carport was attached to the concrete.

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

JackMS

Gulfport

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could pour a concrete footing on each side to raise it to the height you need but with slides on both sides, I would measure coach width with al slides out to see if it will fit. You might find a metal company that can custom make you one to your specs.

2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kind of expensive. There should be an independent dealer that will sell/install it much cheaper

bccsrc

Molalla, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to measure it when I get the RV tomorrow. I sent it out to get it washed and waxed. I hope it will work, otherwise I will have to find someone local to build me one.

What about the front of the RV? It will still be exposed to the sun if all I put up in this RV Carport. The position the RV is parked, the sun will rise in the front of the RV and set in the rear of it.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bccsrc,
Well, we were in the same boat last July. We'd just purchased our new to us '04 Itasca Horizon, full body paint, diesel pusher with the 330 CAT and, it is such a beautiful rig that I was not going to let it sit in the sun and all the rest of the elements if I had anything to do with it. So, the quest began. We'd researched all of what was available within our area.

Long story short, after considering almost shelling out $4500.00 for a 19'x45'x12' canvas clad cover, (and I was within seconds of writing the check) we decided to step back and see if that was the best move we could make. That price was for all the parts, and a company doing the install.

In the end, I purchased all the components from two different sources and did the work our self. Now, I will admit, ours is not as permanent as the one you're thinking about. In that, it's a cheaper gray tarp style with bungees. The total cost, up and standing as you see in the pictures, was $1400.00. I did it that way because in our area, it's questionable as to whether a "Permit" is needed or not. I'm sick and tired of government regulating me to death so, we took a chance and put up that style cover.

That way, if some county goon comes knocking and tells me to take it down, I can eat that cost and maybe get some of it back by selling it or whatever. But, if I shelled out as much as you're thinking of, which was almost the point, I'd be really P.Od.

My cover ended up being 18' wide, x 40' long and 12' sides. Well, when I walked across the street to look at it from my neighbors point of view, it looked a bit hideous. So, the wife and I "cut it down" to 11' sides. Way better.

Anyway, it's just some ideas for you to ponder. The cover, covers all the way down to the 6' fence on one side and is approximately 8' from the ground on the other side where the whole cover is very close to the house anyway. So, in all reality, the sun never touches the coach, no matter what season we're in. It looks way open but, again, it was primarily for protection from the sun.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

T bone

Amarillo

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was in the same quandry a few weeks ago.Decided to call Morton buildings.They are going to start construction around May 1.Building a 30'X 40' with two overhead doors. A little pricey but has a 3 year overall warranty and more on materials..Around here WIND is a real concern.This building is for mine and my sons R.V.s.Good news,we are splitting the cost.It is being built on his property and when I am done with it,the building is all his.

* This post was edited 03/10/12 06:19pm by T bone *

2009 Georgetown SE 340TS
2013 Toyota Tacoma toad

Kanyonkitty

Gerrardstown, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to check with TNTcarports.net I have 2 of their ports and plan to have them install another one for our 5th wheel. I will be looking at one about 20' wide x 14' tall x 36' long.

Deep wedgewood blue '99 7.3L PSD F-350 Super Duty crew cab long bed dually or wedgewood blue '97 F-350 7.3L PSD crew cab longbed SRW, Member: Sunlineclub.com Rescue a retired Greyhound, greyt calm low maintenance traveling companions

Crazy Ray

Monroe,La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not go less than 14 feet wide. I have a 16x38 and 13'6 center. JMO

RET ARMY 1980,DW Donna,"Tiny" (furkid) . Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford Chassis w/Steer Safe, 4SAMS 6Volts, 525W Solar , TriStar 45 Controller, Yamaha 2400, TOW: Honda CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream". NASCAR FAN 14,18,20,11 LOVE: CO,NM,AZ

Gator48

Branford, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what is available for your area, but I looked at http://www.rvcarportsdirect.com and they had a 12X41 12 high for
$2855.00 and I install it.

I contacted my local "Lark" outlet and I can get a 12 X 41 X 15 tall for $2027.65 installed. Lark sells nationwide I think.
http://larkbuildings.com/carports.php

Good luck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV Carport - Purchase?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: