RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: RV Carport - Purchase?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV Carport - Purchase?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

bccsrc,
Well, we were in the same boat last July. We'd just purchased our new to us '04 Itasca Horizon, full body paint, diesel pusher with the 330 CAT and, it is such a beautiful rig that I was not going to let it sit in the sun and all the rest of the elements if I had anything to do with it. So, the quest began. We'd researched all of what was available within our area.

Long story short, after considering almost shelling out $4500.00 for a 19'x45'x12' canvas clad cover, (and I was within seconds of writing the check) we decided to step back and see if that was the best move we could make. That price was for all the parts, and a company doing the install.

In the end, I purchased all the components from two different sources and did the work our self. Now, I will admit, ours is not as permanent as the one you're thinking about. In that, it's a cheaper gray tarp style with bungees. The total cost, up and standing as you see in the pictures, was $1400.00. I did it that way because in our area, it's questionable as to whether a "Permit" is needed or not. I'm sick and tired of government regulating me to death so, we took a chance and put up that style cover.

That way, if some county goon comes knocking and tells me to take it down, I can eat that cost and maybe get some of it back by selling it or whatever. But, if I shelled out as much as you're thinking of, which was almost the point, I'd be really P.Od.

My cover ended up being 18' wide, x 40' long and 12' sides. Well, when I walked across the street to look at it from my neighbors point of view, it looked a bit hideous. So, the wife and I "cut it down" to 11' sides. Way better.

Anyway, it's just some ideas for you to ponder. The cover, covers all the way down to the 6' fence on one side and is approximately 8' from the ground on the other side where the whole cover is very close to the house anyway. So, in all reality, the sun never touches the coach, no matter what season we're in. It looks way open but, again, it was primarily for protection from the sun.
Scott

Scott, give as Pacific Northwest guys a break! Our coaches sit in the rain more then the sun! Brandon, it sounds reasonable to me! Order a dump truck load of 3/4 minus crushed rock have them spread it about 3" then call the carport builders. Scott, I was just kidding you!

bccsrc

Molalla, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

American Carports:

12 Gauge 18x41 $2595
12' Legs $840
Total $3435

Optional Sides $1500
Optional End $800

Total $5735

Free installation on level land. This seems like a good deal if I just do the carport itself and save the optional stuff for later.

Is this a good deal?

2007 Itasca Sunova 34A, Workhorse Chassis, 3 Slides, Winegard Road Trip - In Motion Satellite

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A, Edge Juice W/ Attitude

2011 Polaris Sportsman Touring 550 EPS, 2005 Yamaha Raptor 660R

OTTO

Western Washington/Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Lowes as well. I bought a 36' long X 14'wide fabricated metal unit from them several years ago. The metal roof only comes down to within 6' of ground so debris stays off rig but air keeps it dry. Wife and I put it up ourselves.

FIRE UP

Ramona, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J-Rooster,
Nice jab partner. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for almost three years when stationed at McChord AFB as a fireman. That was in Tacoma, WA. We used to call the sun a "UFO" 'cause we only saw it once in a while. I would have liked a steel building/cover if, I would have been assured it would not have needed a permit. But, without going into a long dissertation of a chain of events, the permit system is so out of control here in CA, I just washed it out of the equation and went with the one you see in the pics.

The cover (tarp) we used, is a cheaper import cover that will last somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 months to 2 years. If, at that point in time, I've had no problems with certain situations, I'll invest in a stronger, more durable cover that is guaranteed to go over eight years in duration. I have no doubt that just about every poster here that has answered with their cover built and installed near their home most likely did not have to deal with a permit process.

We do have wind here and, at times it's fairly strong. So far, it moves some in the wind but, based on the fact that it's fairly close to the house and, the fence on the other side, it's actually quite stable. But, I certainly agree with the steel or aluminum covers, much more durable and permanent.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure prices vary in different parts of the country. Your last quote seems OK but not great for our area, but prices vary so much it might be a good deal for you.

We shopped around online and got some idea of what it might cost and then called two local carport companies and asked them to come give us an estimate. We were then able to compare prices as well as contact a few of their references to help us make a decision. There was a difference in price but we didn't go with the cheapest company. We decided to use the company that had the best ideas for where we wanted it built and had a great reputation. I negotiated a little better deal than their first quote and they got it built. One day to set the poles in the ground and back three days later to build it.

Our electrician did a bit of trading with us, we had a truck for sale that he wanted so we worked out a good deal on getting the 50amp, 110 outlet and lights installed. Overall, with the electrical work, our project should have cost a bit over $6,000.00 but out of pocket was less than $5,000.00 since we only paid for the RV Port and the electrical supplies the electrician needed.

If I were you I would check around, call a few local companies and have them come to your home to see where you want it and then make your decision. It's always nice to work on a project like this face to face and who knows, you might be able to negotiate a bit with them.

Good luck!

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

gss036

Bellingham ,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went through that last year and finally decided on a pole barn instead, it was designed to withstand 85 mph wind. With the posts sitting in a 36 inch hole filled with cement it isn't going anywhere. We have one of metal post types a couple miles north of me and it is now sitting at about 15-20% angle where it is bent sideways from the wind.

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSHappyCampers wrote:

What is the rated wind load on the RVCarports.com buildings? Did you buy one of these, and if so, how long did it take to install it?

Any of them would be rated at 130mph wind code with the heavy guage framing upgrade.

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

J-Rooster,
Nice jab partner. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for almost three years when stationed at McChord AFB as a fireman. That was in Tacoma, WA. We used to call the sun a "UFO" 'cause we only saw it once in a while. I would have liked a steel building/cover if, I would have been assured it would not have needed a permit. But, without going into a long dissertation of a chain of events, the permit system is so out of control here in CA, I just washed it out of the equation and went with the one you see in the pics.

The cover (tarp) we used, is a cheaper import cover that will last somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 months to 2 years. If, at that point in time, I've had no problems with certain situations, I'll invest in a stronger, more durable cover that is guaranteed to go over eight years in duration. I have no doubt that just about every poster here that has answered with their cover built and installed near their home most likely did not have to deal with a permit process.

We do have wind here and, at times it's fairly strong. So far, it moves some in the wind but, based on the fact that it's fairly close to the house and, the fence on the other side, it's actually quite stable. But, I certainly agree with the steel or aluminum covers, much more durable and permanent.
Scott
Thanks for your service Scott! And thanks for being a good sport!

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other posters have shown you many good choices.

I would indeed make sure the sides are higher than the coach--just in case you should end up trading for a taller coach. And, if you do want to have the slides out while in the cover...make it extra wide so you can walk around the outside.

The type of cover, in my opinion, is entirely dependent on the weather in your location. If you have high winds, hail and heavy snow a cover that just goes over the top it is only partial protection. During a wind driven storm the sides and ends of the coach are vulnerable to damage. If it were me, I'd go for a shed with sides and ends and I'd make it all steel not a fabric top.

Make sure the structure is anchored well to a concrete slab or long anchor bolts set in concrete.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

MSHappyCampers

Columbus, MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gator48 wrote:

I don't know what is available for your area, but I looked at http://www.rvcarportsdirect.com and they had a 12X41 12 high for
$2855.00 and I install it.

I contacted my local "Lark" outlet and I can get a 12 X 41 X 15 tall for $2027.65 installed. Lark sells nationwide I think.
http://larkbuildings.com/carports.php

Good luck

What is the rated wind load on the RVCarports.com buildings? Did you buy one of these, and if so, how long did it take to install it?

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV Carport - Purchase?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: